Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Lease Questions

Comments

• Options
    mtkellymtkelly Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I decided yesterday to investigate leasing an '08 vehicle (in particular a HCH) as opposed to sinking 12-13k into a used vehicle. I have found some useful websites for learning the terms, but I still have some questions. If I want to estimate payments how do I determine what the residual value is? Is there a rule of thumb? I think an approximation is good enough. What points are negotiable and what aren't? I get the impression that with Honda they determine the residual value and that is set in stone, but it seems to me that everything else is fair game. Is that true? I, obviously, want to avoid a situation where I'm negotiating my lease and show my ignorance and then get taken advantage of. I am in Minneapolis. I don't know if that's relevant. I guess I'm also looking for any general advice anyone has to offer about leases for a first time lease seeker. Thanks in advance.
    Matt
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I saw at my local dealership that they had an EX-L Civc, I have seen one other like this before. It was nice, totally different look with the leather, they had it on the door too. I wish they did add the leather to the civic line in the EX as an option or trim up.
  • Options
    codekcodek Member Posts: 9
    Car_man

Do you know what the buy rate lease money factor is for a civic SI. I got quoted for 400 above invoice for an Si in SoCal
  • Options
    esomniacesomniac Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone,

Just got back from a MA dealer (Boch) and wanted to update you on my pricing and lease that I got. This may help you get some perspective on the deals out.

I'm paying $230 a month for 36 months w/ 15K miles this was with $619 due at signing (doc fees & first payment). To be honest I cannot remember for the life of me what the purchase price was exactly. I received a virtually identical quote from another huge dealer for $237 a month (w/ pretty much the same terms otherwise).

I called up Boch on the phone and was able to haggle down the original quote of $236 down 6 whole dollars. They kept saying that they were going to lose money and were selling it to me for below invoice. True or not, it was the closest I could get to the monthly price I wanted (w/o putting any money down). If you're getting a lease don't put any money down!!!

Hope that helps!

P.S. The other dealership that quoted me $237/mo was Herb Chambers.
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi civhybrid07. The selling price that you were quoted for the Hybrid Civic that you are interested in looks very attractive to me. Just make sure that the dealer you are working with uses Honda Finance's special buy rate lease money factor of .00073 (for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing) to calculate your monthly payment. Using the numbers that you provided, an MSRP of $23,235 and a selling price of $21,300, I estimate that this car's 24 month, 15,000 mile per year, zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $323. The payment for an otherwise identical 36 month lease would be around $268.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    Hi hharris1. The best way to get a good deal on the Civic that you want is to shop around for the lowest possible selling price (as close to dealer invoice as possible). Once you arrive at a selling price that you are comfortable with, have the dealer that gives it to you calculate your monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor. You're right, RI is one of the states that Honda's special lease program for the 2008 Civic is available in. In your area, its current buy rate lease money factor for 36 month leases of this car is .00207 for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing.

Good luck in your quest for a new Civic and let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    srajusraju Member Posts: 1
    Car_man,

Do you know what the money factor are for a 2007 civic hybrid lease 36 month/12,000 miles.

--Sunil
  • Options
    k_olamk_olam Member Posts: 7
    Car man, great insight U give to people, good job mate!
    I've been trying to shop arround for the 07 EX coupe MT or the 07 LX coupe MT, give me the best price U think I can beat below invoice i.e the LX 15500 or the EX 17700 or less, and I'm looking to buy not lease and what rate do u think the financers would give me with 6000 to 8000 down?
    need ur insight soonest?
  • Options
    janetnjanetn Member Posts: 2
    I'm from Dearborn,Michigan and was wondering if its better to lease or buy the 07 Civic LX. To buy I've been quoted for a new 07 16,880, to lease 1,000 down 235 a month.
  • Options
    Hi guys, I'm in OC california, trying to shop arround for a civic coupe EX in the 07 MT, need U to give me insight on the best numbers for lease i.e
    Lease term:
    Lease payment:
    Residual value:
    mone factor:
    How do I work with these variables to get the best deal
    thanx
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    How many months is the lease, how long do you plan to keep the Civic, and could you afford the payments if you bought it instead of leased it?
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The Sandman :)
  • Options
    janetnjanetn Member Posts: 2
    The lease is for 36 months, good question would I keep it after the 3years. I would hope so but, I haven't in the past. I was planning to put 6,000 down if i purchase so the payments would be approx 225.
  • Options
    Hi Sunil. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid with 12,000 miles per year are .00073 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Thanks k_olam ;) . Unfortunately, I do not believe that Honda is providing dealer cash on regular 2007 Honda Civics right now. If that is indeed the case, then you probably won't be able to get one for much less than dealer invoice. If I was in the market for an '07 Civic, I would aim for dealer invoice and see what happens. You also should be able to get an idea of how much you will have to pay for this car right now by visiting the "Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Greetings k_olam. It sounds like you are relatively new to leasing. If so, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the best way to get a good deal on a lease is to negotiate as low a selling price as possible on the car that you want and then have the dealer that gives you that price calculate your monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor. If I was in the market for a 2007 Civic Coupe EX right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of right around dealer invoice and I would make sure that the dealer I was working with used Honda Finance's buy rate lease money factor of .00270 (for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing) to calculate my monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    tphsseniortphssenior Member Posts: 11
    What is the lease program (money factor, residual %) for an '08 Civic EX coupe (no navi), 24 months, 10k miles per year?
  • Options
    theboydarintheboydarin Member Posts: 10
    Hey Car man,
    The dealers around me are saying that honda is not offering the .00073 MF and 56% residual any more on the 2007 civic hybrid... that it ended Oct. 31st. They are giving me .003 and 54% respectively. Where can i find out for certain what the numbers are and how can i make them honor these numbers?

thanks,
    -darin
  • Options
    Hey guys, want to get either the 07' Civic Ex coupe MT or the LX coupe MT,
    pls give me a good bargain price, what are the invoices and how much can I beat below the invoice, I'll be going in as a cash buyer,
    need ur responses as soon as possible
    thanx
  • Options
    hpoohhhpoohh Member Posts: 35
    Hi Car Man, can you help find out what the residual % of a 08 Civic Si Sedan (with Navi or w/o Navi) for 12k/36mo, i think the money factor is 0.00207, can you help double confirm, please?
    thank you
  • Options
    rshandyrshandy Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking to lease a 2008 Civic SI coupe for 36 months with 15k/year. Can anyone tell me the residual value and money factor?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Hey Car man, I'm on the verge of buying the 07' Civic Ex coupe MT, I'm just waiting to get approved for financing, i'll be going in as a cash buyer, I need ur insight on the pricing, on yahoo auto's, I saw the invoice as 17172, and msrp as 18700. but the dealership claims the invoice is 18700, is there any explanation for this difference, I was trying to beat the dealers claimed invoice to 16500 and they said they can't go more than a $1000 below the 18700,
    So car man, before I go in there again armed with my cheque from the finance providers, let me know if my pricing's on the right track or if it could be lower, even considering end of year clearance and incentives.
    thanks, look forward to your response
  • Options
    wheelanddealwheelanddeal Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for an 07 or 08 civil ex. I went to Scott Honda in West Chester, PA. I was quoted 2 prices (1) lease price for a 08 EX-L for 36 months, no money down, payments $347.00 and (2) purchase price for 07 EX w/nav $20, 900, at 4.9% financing for 48 months, payments $420.00. Scott Honda would not neg the price down. I had another dealer (Roberts Honda in Downingtown) quote me a price over the phone for 07 EX w/o nav for $19,200. Are these quotes and payments too high? I have a car voucher from my bank for $20,000, 6.99% APR with 71 months payments @ $371. I would perfer not to use it if I can get a lower monthly payment plan. I really don't want to pay more than $250.00 a month in payments. Any thoughts! Thanks
  • Options
    kisyntymkisyntym Member Posts: 18
    Can anyone help me with the residual value and money factor for the 2008 civic lx.
    I am looking for 36 months / 36000 miles.

Thank you
  • Options
    dlqdlq Member Posts: 1
    Could anyone give me a low end range of what I would expect to pay monthly leasing a 2008 honda civic hybrid no/ nav (cap cost), 36 months, 15,000 miles allowance, let's assume no down payment? Thank you
  • Options
    pcantorepcantore Member Posts: 148
    The $347.00 a month lease is too high for the EX-L. With the super preferred credit tier money factor of 0.00207 and 62% residual from Honda you should be getting a monthly payment of $300.00 with 0 down ($200 over invoice price). In my opinion, these would be good lease numbers, but not $347.00. I like your option of vehicle. The EX-L is definitely a smart buy. But, it's better to keep shopping ...

Good luck there!
  • Options
    rsalasrsalas Member Posts: 14
    Monthly payment on civic Hybrid will be $349.00 a month. MF .00207 and a res of 59% Sign and drive. If you plan on giving inception of $682.44 your payment will go down to $326.81 and you will only have 35 payments remaining instead of 36. This is for FL. I do not know if it will be lower or higher in other states. Hope it helps ! :)
  • Options
    rsalasrsalas Member Posts: 14
    Honda has a special lease program good till Jan 2nd 2008. MF .00207 Res. 62% Sign and Drive your payments will be $319.00 tax-in. If you give inception it will be $298.00 tax-in. This is for FL. I know PA has the same program. Price of the car is $19.199.00 Lowest you will probably get, plus tax tag and dealer fees. This is with Super Pref. credit tier. You need 709+ Beacon score to qualify. Must have financed a car or own a house for at least a year. i say this just in case you have the score but no credit history.... :)
  • Options
    pcantorepcantore Member Posts: 148
    Is this for the EX or EX-L? 2008? How much for the aquisition fee, sec. deposit??
  • Options
    ahwardahward Member Posts: 1
    I am about to re-lease a 08 Honda civic when I turn in my wife's 05. A few questions for experienced leasers.

Should I wait until my lease is up on Jan. 15 or will it be okay to turn it in early? The Honda dealers told me it is okay.

Also after I have got quotes what else do I need to ask about or look closely at before I sign? I've read the Edmunds guide to leasing.

Here are the two quotes in Dallas for Civic LX Auto in Dallas Texas

Dealer 1
    36 mo w/12K @ 295 month first payment as a down only.

Dealer 2
    36 mo w/12K @ $276 + 1653.13 for TTL, 1st month Payment
    36 mo w/12K @326 w/TTL rolled in per month
    Money Factor .00285

If anyone can please advise I'd appreciate it since usually I have purchased my automobiles instead of leasing.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Ya, your driving a honda, that is why you can trade in early, Don't wait, just do the research, and sign. Although, just to let you know, the civic is priced with numbers that are up there with the Accord. I was able to get the accord for about the same price, because the residuals and money factors are so steep. This deal looks good, I would probably choose the first payment due option, its less complicated, and keeps some money in your pocket. Leasing is nice!! Because within 2 years, your able to trade in for another car and not owe anything on the previous lease. Lease only deals with the portion, which is 36 months of what you used. If you opt to own in, then your given that option at the end, and many have done that too, then keep it for another year, and sell it, and walk away with some profit.

Just read the contract, and make sure there are no add ons, no hidden deal. You'll be fine, if it doesn't feel right, then its not right.

Now, as far as mileage, you may go 12k a year, but like me, I have gone about 4k over might projected mileage, therefore, I look at that as subtracting months off my contract, meaning, I will have to turn it in earlier to avoid the overage fees for the mileage. So my bill stub says I have 13months left on my contract, so I subtract the 4k, and I have about 10 months left. Don't be worried about that, The more mileage I go, the earlier I have to trade in. Be happy your driving a Honda, Try this with a Chevy product, and you'll get hit with fees and you'll be upside down!

Good Luck!! Let us know what you do!

Go for the first payment due!
  • Options
    undertaker23undertaker23 Member Posts: 1
    How does this sound to you guys??

2008 Honda Civic Coupe SI with tint wind deflectors for windows and moonroof, and fog lights.

328/month with 0 down and on a 60/month term

please keep in mind this is in Canadian currency? what do u guys think?? pleae respond ASAP

Thank you
  • Options
    civhybrid07civhybrid07 Member Posts: 9
    Carman -

I believe Honda has announced their December lease programs.

I'm in NJ. Can you tell me the following for a 2008 Civic Hybrid 24-month lease with 15k miles per year:

1) Money Factor

2) Residual

3) I've heard that you can have the bank fee waived, as it is a negotiable item...can you confirm that?

Thanks.
  • Options
    rasmusmanrasmusman Member Posts: 1
    hi i have lease figures from a dealership on a 2008 Civic lease for an EX-L
    The downpayment is $2000, fees including ist payment is $1500 and the lease is $223 without tax and for 36 months with 12000 miles.
    Is this a decent deal? The lease is in Massachusetts.
  • Options
    kebluekeblue Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a slightly interesting experience of leasing a 2008 Civic LX Sedan [Manual] in Atomic Blue just yesterday.

I went into a NJ dealership which had the color I wanted with the following internet quote(from another dealership which didn't have the color in the lot)
    $15,655 - price of car
    $635 - destination
    $197 - documentation fee
    $44.50 - license if transferring and financing
    $7.50 - tire tax
    ------------
    $16,539 w/o tax = $16290+$249 in fees w/o tax
    sales tax = 7% in NJ

I calculated my lease(24 month at 15k miles/year using MF=0.0027 and residual=70%) with base cap cost=$16,290. I added $595(bank fee) to get adj cap cost of $16,855. Monthly payment was calculated as $250.78 + $17.55 tax = $268.33 total. MSRP was $17,595 and residual value is $12,317. $249 in fees and $268.33 1st payment = $517.33 due upon signing.

Here is what I actually got at the dealership:
    $268.87/month total + $360 due opon signing.

The weird thing was that they listed $268.87(1st payment), $462.83 tax, $184.50 registation, $8.30 online reg., $159 doc fee, $7.50 tire tax for a total of $1,091 due upon signing. They then subtracted $731 as being paid by dealership, for a total of $360 due upon signing. The residual was $12,668(slightly higher than my original calculation)

I took the deal. I saved $157.33 at signing(compared to original calculations) but am paying an extra $0.54 a month and have a slightly higher residual value in case I buy the car at lease end. I have 23 payments to go.

What do you think of the deal? Anybody ever see something similar to "dealership to pay $731.00 of inception fees" on a lease? If they didn't include tax in the calculation of my monthly payment, it means they probably used a higher MF. It all worked out in the end since my payment is approximately the same.

It only took an hour to drive out once I told the dealer which car I wanted.
    Could I have done better since this was December?

Thanks,
    keblue
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,985
    why is the residual higher than you expected? You expected 70% residual, and that's exactly what they gave you.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    crobertson58crobertson58 Member Posts: 1
    I'm being offered a pretty good deal on a lease from what I can tell. Can you possibly verify that is the case.

2007 Civic Hybrid with Navigation
    $23,150 negotiated price
    $2500 down (first month's payment, tax, license, acquisition, $1275 cap reduction)
    .00073 money factor
    $12,971 residual
    36 months and 12k/year

Monthly payment $274/without tax
  • Options
    jarrodtheredjarrodthered Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to know what sort of lease payment I could be expecting.

I want a 2008 Civic LX automatic. Sticker is 18,400 or so and I'm sure I'll work it down. I was just wondering what an estimated payment a month would be becasue I'm new to leasing. I would probably put little down, probably just the first months payment or any other fee. I would want it for 36 months and 12,000 miles a year.

Thank you very much.
  • Options
    bachatubachatu Member Posts: 20
    local dealer is offering me something similar on the 08 civic LX automatic..... I however had to go back & forth on a couple of things, because insisted I wanted to sign & drive price, nothing out of pocket. He,. at first kept insisting that Honda auto finance corp insist at least certain things are paid up front.... tax, 1st payment, etc. I told him that was BS as I know dealers can work around that by paying off certain fees or enroll them with the payments
    He finally came back with
    36 month 12k miles term
    249+ tax, 0 due at signing...they will even pay first month. So I only would have to pay for 35 months on the term... I haven't taken it yet. i want to see if they can go lower.
  • Options
    tomtrav1tomtrav1 Member Posts: 8
    turned in 05 accord for new civic.225 mo,36 mo,2200 out of pocket.12k yr.very satisfied with the civic so far.hope this info is helpful.
  • Options
    swtaznsorjaiswtaznsorjai Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to lease a 08 EX -L with Nav,

Does anybody know the MF and Residual of a 36 month lease?

Thanks
  • Options
    markmillersmarkmillers Member Posts: 2
    This is my first time leasing. I have a proposal from a Honda dealership in the Boston area for a 2008 Honda Civic EX-L 36 month lease and 15K miles per month. Please let me know if this seems like a good deal.

The deal calls for me to trade in my 2000 Civic valued at $4000, $0 payment at start of lease and then $225 per month for 35 months and a buy out at $12.8k.

I saw a posting for a 2008 Civic LX with $600 down and 35 months at $230 which seemed particularly low in comparison to my offer even if the EX-L costs $1200 more if you were buying.
  • Options
    markmillersmarkmillers Member Posts: 2
    Hello Esomniac

I appreciate your help here. Your posting was very helpful to me as I have been negotiating my lease in the Boston area. What I am confused about is some of the math.

I am looking to lease a 2008 Civic EX-L which is say $1500 more to buy

Over 36 months if the whole $1500 were to be paid out that would add $40 per month

Your deal was $230 per month and $600 down

My deal is $225 per month but I am putting $4500 down

Something seems wrong ?
  • Options
    jackmackokjackmackok Member Posts: 4
    I know you want to put 0 drive off but your better off putting a little drives.
    You can get a 36 month lease for 215 a month (including tax) and putting 1324.33 drive off. My buddy got that deal from Rick Case Honda. I actually saw his contract and couldn't believe it.
  • Options
    bachatubachatu Member Posts: 20
    jackmock- are you talking about rick case honda in Davie? And can you be specific of the terms of his lease..which model, miles, etc?? thanks
  • Options
    Hi civhybrid07. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid in New Jersey with 15,000 miles per year are .00207 and 72%, respectively. Honda Finance charges a $595 acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leases. Individual dealers do not have the authority to waive this charge, but you should be able to bake it into your monthly payment by adding it to your vehicle's capitalized cost if you want.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi rasmusman. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the Civic that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing what this vehicle's selling price is in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi crobertson58, The dealer invoice price of a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid with navigation is $23,029. As you can see, the selling price that you were quoted is just slightly above invoice. Plus, the money factor that the dealer you are working with quoted you is right in line with Honda Finance's current buy rate for this model. This is a very good deal. If you like the car, I personally don't see any reason not to go for it.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Greetings jarrodthered. Since you are new to leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Let's work up a sample lease payment on the car that you are interested in and see what we come up with. The MSRP and dealer invoice price of a 2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX with an automatic transmission are $18,395 and $16,985, respectively. Let's assume that you are able to get this car for $500 over dealer invoice. Using these prices, I estimate that your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment for a 36 month lease with 12,000 miles per year would be around $224, assuming that you qualify for Honda Finance's "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing. This lease payment would only be available if you are in one of the states that Honda is running its regional special lease offer in. If you tell me where you live, I can let you know if this program is available in your area.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    freebutbrokefreebutbroke Member Posts: 4
    Can somebody please help?
    I am living in the LA area near Santa Monicata, and I am ready to lease a new Honda 2 dr lx AT coupe. Does anybody know of any good deal better than what Honda's Promotion of $1999 down, monthly for 36 mths of $199, residual of 11588.85 for a 4dr LX AT? The dealers I have checked with says the promotion is only for the 4 dr. One even has the cheek to structure the deal such that I am on the losing end by over $2200...I walked away.
    I need to get a car by Wed evening ( 3 days time) so any help is highly appreciated.
    Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.