Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

All of a sudden van throwing 18 codes??

ayden05ayden05 Member Posts: 3
edited May 2017 in Chevrolet
My Chevy venture about a month ago overheated, cracked radiator. I replaced radiator and traced the problem. It had to be temp sensor, so I replaced it as well. After starting it up it started making this tapping sound in rear of engine and threw 18 codes. One is a cylinder 4 misfire, majority of rest seem to be sensors (throttle position, mass air, O2, etc.) It seems unlikely all of a sudden all my sensors went out. I'm a beginner at fixing my own vehicle simply because I have no choice at this point, but wondering if it could be something else. I do not have a multi meter, but do have a voltage detector and wires are all testing good. Also I can only drive it till warm, then has acceleration issue (slow and bucks a bit). If hold speed no issues. If I turn on a/c while driving, engine overworks and it dies P.s. still overheats. Fan will not cut on when hot

Best Answer

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Answer ✓
    ayden05 said:

My Chevy venture about a month ago overheated, cracked radiator. I replaced radiator and traced the problem. It had to be temp sensor, so I replaced it as well.

You probably had a P0117, Coolant Temperature Sensor voltage low. That doesn't have to be a failed sensor or even circuit. The sensor resistance decreases as the engine temperature increases, which causes the circuit voltage to decrease. When the engine overheated, it easily may have gotten so hot that the sensor signal decreased to the point that it generated a trouble code. For a tech the advantage of that is the Freeze Frame data would have stored just how hot the engine was at that point in time.
    ayden05 said:

After starting it up it started making this tapping sound in rear of engine and threw 18 codes. One is a cylinder 4 misfire, majority of rest seem to be sensors (throttle position, mass air, O2, etc.) It seems unlikely all of a sudden all my sensors went out.

Cylinder #4 is in the middle of the front cylinder head. Both that and the noise in the rear need to be analyzed. Speculation about what is going on without working with this first hand could leave you chasing after myths.

What are the rest of the codes that are setting? Codes don't tell you what parts are bad, they tell you what tests are failing. The first step on any diagnostic is to pull the codes. The second step is to research the codes to understand how the computer runs the test that causes those codes to set. The third is to then prioritize the codes based on the ability to confirm that the fault is current and from there how difficult or easy it would be to prove exactly what the circuit or component issue is.
    ayden05 said:

I'm a beginner at fixing my own vehicle simply because I have no choice at this point, but wondering if it could be something else.

There is no "it". While one or more codes could be the result of a commonality, each has to be addressed as if it is a singular event.
    ayden05 said:

I do not have a multi meter, but do have a voltage detector and wires are all testing good.

If you want to do this you MUST have the right tools.
    ayden05 said:

Also I can only drive it till warm, then has acceleration issue (slow and bucks a bit). If hold speed no issues. If I turn on a/c while driving, engine overworks and it dies
    P.s. still overheats. Fan will not cut on when hot

Stop driving it, now, you are risking doing even more damage. Engine mechanical damage is very likely after a severe overheating event (suggested by the setting of the P0117 if it did that).

List the codes that are set right now. If you want to work through this you will need to be able to test for spark, compression, and injector pulse as well as be able to make very specific voltage measurements. I can lead you but you have to test exactly as described and post the results for me to let you know what to do next.

BTW is it losing and do you have to add coolant?

Answers

• Options
    No not loosing coolant, but burning a little oil. Oil coming out exhaust. Not enough I've had to add any though. I had a mechanic come look. He didn't give me the codes, just told me what they were, like the sensors, the 4th cylinder...he told me the van won't last a month before engine dies. He suggested cleaning sensors and direct wiring the fan to a toggle switch but said I was waisting money, but found receipt in glovebox for 2 heads done at a local shop.
  • Options
    I'll see if I can get the codes though.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    ayden05 said:

I had a mechanic come look. He didn't give me the codes, just told me what they were, like the sensors, the 4th cylinder...he told me the van won't last a month before engine dies.

He may be right about that......
    ayden05 said:

He suggested cleaning sensors and direct wiring the fan to a toggle switch,

While he is wrong about this
    ayden05 said:

but said I was waisting money, but found receipt in glovebox for 2 heads done at a local shop.

You may well be putting money into a bad project. As far as the heads having been repaired previously that doesn't mean anything in regards to this event.