Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40 Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited March 2014 in Volvo
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Volvo S40. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• cllawcllaw Member Posts: 32
    Hi All:

I'm looking into leasing a 2006 S40i with select package, climate package, and automatic transmisson and metallic paint. I got a quote from dealer for $26,480 + tax and other charges. I just want to see if it sounds like a good deal. Since I'm looking into enter a 2 years/ 10,000 miles lease, can anyone give me some idea as to what is a reason captial reduction cost should be and what is a fair amount for the month lease payment etc. I'm a newbie here and I hope the imformation that I provide is enough. Many thanks in advance

Alex
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hello Alex. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal, however you never mentioned what your car's full MSRP is. This is an important piece of information because it will enable me to see how much of a discount you are being given and it is necessary to calculate a sample lease payment. You may want to stop by the following discussion to get feedback on the price that you were quoted from other community members who have recently purchased similar cars: "Volvo S40: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". Once you provide me with these numbers I can calculate a sample lease payment on this car using Volvo Finance's actual current lease program.

As far as what sort of down payment to make goes, consumers can and should lease any vehicle that they are interested in without making a down payment. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your insurance company pays off the bank that you were leasing it through and your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your S40 would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put several thousand dollars down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all.

Car_man
    Host
  • cllawcllaw Member Posts: 32
    Hi Car Man:

Thanks for your timely response! I really appreciated your help, let me give you the MSRP and I will certainly look into forums that you suggested.

The MSRP for the S40 i that I'm looking into is $28,750 (not included taxes others fees) Since there is only 3 dealers in the New York area Metro area. I pick Bay ridge Volvo near my house as my first stop of the volvo search this time around.

The reason I asked about the down payment is because I was surfing volvo's website and there is a lease offer for 3 years, 10,000 miles per year lease for $229 a month and$ 3,924 due at signing. The down payment sounds alright to me until you rise your point today, so I guess I will try to avoid that when I talk to the dealer. By the way, I'm interested in enter a 2 years, 10,000 lease , do you think any dealer in the New York, New Jersey area willing to do that because most of the lease out there is 36 months. Will the monthly lease payment amount be different if it is a 36 months lease, instead of 24 months? Sorry, I still a rookie on this lease contract and I appreciate if you can help me out

Regards

Alex :)
    No problem Alex. You definitely will be able to lease this car for 2 years if you want. The reason why most manufacturers advertise 3 year leases instead of 2 year leases is that in most instances the monthly payments for 3 year leases are lower. This is because vehicles experience their highest rate of depreciation during the first year of ownership. With a 3 year lease consumers have an additional 12 payments to spread out this large depreciation hit over. Let's calculate a sample lease payment on the car that you are interested in and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 S40i with an automatic transmission, an MSRP of $28,750 and a selling price of $26,480 through Volvo Finance right now for 2 years with 10,000 miles per, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $413. Volvo Finance's lease program on this car is not very attractive right now. I would not be surprised if you were able to lease one for less than this through an independent bank and using the $750 dealer cash that is available on purchases of this car to reduce your vehicle's capitalized cost.

Car_man
    Host
  • batman702batman702 Member Posts: 12
    I was quoted after a days worth of being at the volvo dealer in las vegas: s40 white, auto, t5, audio pkg, sunroof pkg(whatever they call it). sticker was $29995 or so. They wanted 2500 down, 4 year lease(so as all maintenance was included for life of the lease), and monthly payments were around $400.00. I would rather buy but the lowest the salesperson at the dealership told me was $500+ per month with 2500 down. should I lease? is it a good deal for 4 years, 400 a month or try to get them lower on a purchase? Is it feasable to buy this car ar 400 per month? I see a lot of postings, but the dealers here do not want to budge it seems. Any other way of going about this? Please help!
    Lost in vegas
  • benjaminsbenjamins Member Posts: 56
    I have a quote for a 2.4i with leather package, non-sports suspension, climate package, and auto tranny for $2,215.78 up-front and monthly payments of $375.63. The MSRP is $29,900. I requested info for residual value and cost of car and breakdown of up-front fees. The monthly payments are complete. Is this a good deal and how much more would a T5 be a month (same options, no sports suspension, FWD). I'm in the Newark, NJ area. Thanks.
    Greetings batman702. Volvo's lease program on the 2006 S40 T5 is not very attractive right now. Volvo Finance's lease money factor for this car is currently .00275 for a 3 year lease, which is equivalent to an interest rate of around 6.6%. I would be happy to give you an idea of what your lease payment should be like using Volvo Finance's current lease program if you let me know what this car's selling price is. I can also work up a finance payment on this car for you as well with this number.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi benjamins. You never mentioned the selling price of the car that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what its selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
  • benjaminsbenjamins Member Posts: 56
    Car Man,

My wife leased the s40. Hope that it is a good deal. The car looks quite striking in Brilliant Blue.

The lease numbers are capitalized cost of $26797.12 on a $29,900 MSRP car, $15,274.50 residual, the money factor is .0021, and the monthly payment is $375.63.
    Benjamins, the selling price that your wife got her S40 for looks very reasonable to me. It looks as though she got a good deal. I hope that she enjoys her new car.

Car_man
    Host
  • grecian713grecian713 Member Posts: 3
    I am about to lease an '06 S40 T5. Everything on here is for the 2.4i, so I was wondering what anyone out there is paying on a T5. The car I am looking at has premium, audio, and climate packages, and electric silver metallic paint. I was quoted $437/mo. on a 36 month lease. I am not sure on figures for residual or interest, however the MSRP for this car is $31,700. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • au94au94 Member Posts: 171
    sounds like a pretty good deal to me. we got a 06 T5 w/premium for 419. msrp was 31180, dealer dropped it to ~28000
    Hi grecian713. You never mentioned the selling price of the car that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of your deal if you let me know what its selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
    The selling price was ~$26,900, with tax and fees total ~$28,100. Payment of $450/month (higher than originally posted due to hight money factor).
    How long is your lease term and what is your mileage?
  • au94au94 Member Posts: 171
    36/mo 12k miles.
  • sdiver68sdiver68 Member Posts: 125
    Any info on S40 AWD money factors and residuals for November? Specifally 3 yrs/12 and 15K per?

Thanks!
    Thanks for the additional information, grecian713. OK, so you were quoted a selling price of around $26,900 on a 2006 Volvo S40 T5 that has a full MSRP of $31,700. That is one heck of a discount on a car that doesn't have a whole lot of profit margin baked into it. I suspect that the dealer that you are working with is running this car's lease through a bank other than Volvo Finance and taking advantage of the $2,500 cash that Volvo is currently providing incentives on leases through outside lending institutions. This is still a good price for this car and $450 a month for it is a good payment considering the incentives that are currently available on it. If you like the car, I don't personally see any reason not to pull the trigger on this deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi sdiver68. Volvo's October lease program was scheduled to run through November 30th, so baring any unexpected program change if you were to lease a 2006 S40 T5 AWD through Volvo Finance right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00190 and 48%, respectively. The residual value for an otherwise identical lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • jcanaljcanal Member Posts: 4
    I am interested in either purchasing/leasing a new volvo S60. Instead of leasing and having the car sitting in my driveway, since I rarely drive, would it be in my better interest to buy the car and make the money back when I sell it? Does the Volvo retain its value or is there a better car to try to do this with? Any Advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • sbvolvosbvolvo Member Posts: 7
    I was quoted a lease deal on a Met. Silver, 06 S40 T5, Prem, Sport, Audio, Conven. Pkgs. with an MSRP of $32,225 and a sale price of $26,807. The lease is for 36 months with 15k/year and the payment are $491down and $491/Month. The price seems amazing but the payments seem really high for this price. When I go on the Volvo website finance calculator, the payments are closer to $400/month. Can anyone offer me advice about what seems wrong with this deal? We have excellent credit. The residual value is $15,145. Thanks for your help!
    Hi jcanal. Theoretically, a consumer who leased a vehicle for three years and one who financed it and sold it after three years would come out about the same. One variable here is the mileage that you put on your car. The lowest mileage allowance that I have seen for a lease of a new Volvo through Volvo Finance is 10,500 a year. If you drive way less than this, then one would initially think that you may actually be better off paying cash for or financing your Volvo and selling it when you are tired of it. I said "one would initially think" because Volvo artificially inflates the residual values that it leases through Volvo Finance. For example, a 2006 Volvo S60 2.5T driven 15,000 miles per year and sold after three years would probably be worth at most 44% of its original MSRP. However, Volvo supports this vehicle's residual value, boosting it to 51% for a 3 year 15k lease. This means that you have to pay for much less depreciation if you lease than if you owned the car and has sold it. As a result, I personally would lean towards getting a low mileage lease through Volvo Finance, unless as I said earlier you drive way less than 10,500 miles per year.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey sbvolvo. Let's use Volvo Finance's actual lease program to estimate what this car's monthly payment should be compared to the one that you were quoted. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 Volvo S40 T5 with an MSRP of $32,225 and a selling price of $26,807 through Volvo Finance right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $379. This is obviously a lot lower than the $491 that you were quoted. What might be happening here is the dealer is using a special incentive that Volvo is providing on this car for leases through independent banks to lower its selling price and then using another bank's standard lease program to calculate your payment. Specifically, Volvo is paying $3,500 dealer cash on leases of 2006 S40 T5 models through independent banks. Unfortunately, this cash is not compatible with Volvo Finance's special lease program. You might want to ask the dealer to give you their best selling price without this car factored in and have them run your lease through Volvo Finance to see what your payment would be like then.

Car_man
    Host
  • jd728jd728 Member Posts: 1
    Hi.. I'm new to the idea of leasing a car...I live in NJ and was looking at the volvo s40 T5 awd...the msrp is $34,050...I want my payment to around #350/mo with no money down. I called one of the dealerships in my area to get a small idea what it would take to get it this payment...the salesperson said a down payment of about $3200. I'm assuming he was using the msrp. I was wondering if this sounds right to you? Do you think it is realistic to lease the car for $350/mo with no money down??

Thanks for your help!!
    -JD
  • vva1vva1 Member Posts: 4
    Please help, I am being offered a lease for $360 a month on an automatic with select package, lease for 48 months/12,000 miles/yr(MSRP $28,860) I want to buy and the offer is $25,500 plus tax and title, no dealer fee??

Is this any good? I have to make up my mind by the end of tomorrow as the deal ends tomorrow.

Help!!!
  • peeshpeesh Member Posts: 1
    Im looking to lease a volvo S40 T5, MSRP $31,705, Price $25,971. I'd like to put $4,000 down (including a trade-in)..Was quoted monthly payment for 4403, for 48 months, 12,000 miles/year. This seems high to me, but am new to the process. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
  • azhawkeyeazhawkeye Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I am new to the posting, but have been reading the board for awhile. I have been research cars and trying to figure out leasing.
    A local Volvo dealership has $0 money down leases, $299/mo for 36 months on S40's - I think MSRP is around $24k, an ad in the paper claims lease selling price around $19k.
    Sounds like a great deal, any opinions?
  • ottawasenskyottawasensky Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I just got done talking with my dealer and he wants to lease me a new Volvo S40 2.4i, I would end up paying 1000 due at signing (acquisition fee, first months payment, etc) and would be paying $310 a month for 48 months. This seemed high for me, as it is a BASE S40 2.4i, ZERO options on it. I also get a Ford discount, which I think is something like 6%.

I see on the VOLVO website theres a deal for 299 a month for 36 months, $0 due at signing now. That is for 10.5k miles per year and I would be getting 12k.

Still, the difference between 10.5k miles and 12k miles and a 36 and 48 month lease, it doesnt seem to matchup? Especially having a little bit of a discount with Ford. Just curious as to what I should do.

Mike
    Welcome JD. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

The lease payment for the car that you are interested in will depend upon its selling price. Always remember that the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Shop around with a few dealers in your area, there should be a number of Volvo dealers in New Jersey, and get a price quote on the car that you want. Then have the dealer that you are working with calculate your car's lease payment using Volvo Finance's buy rate lease money factor and residual value. These numbers will vary depending upon how long you lease for and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive. If you let me know the length and mileage that you are interested in, I would be happy to tell you what this car's lease program is currently like.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi vva1. It would be a big help if you were able to provide me with this car's full MSRP. This number will show me how much of a discount you are being given and will enable me to use Volvo Finance's actual lease program to estimate what your lease payment should be for it. Let me know and I'll tell you what I think.

Don't worry about deadlines that dealers try to push on consumers. While Volvo's lease program are scheduled to end every month or two, it almost always introduced a new program the following month that it at least as attractive, if not more so, than its current one. Manufacturers almost never just pull the plug on their lease support for a particular model.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi peesh. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

One thing that I can tell you about this deal right off the bat is that you definitely should not make a $4,000 down payment on your lease. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your S40 would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put $4,000 down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all. You can still trade in your current vehicle on a new one if you would like, just have the dealer that you are working with cut you a check for it rather than using the proceeds from it as a capitalized cost reduction.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello azhawkeye. Edmunds.com has some great articles on leasing. If you have never leased before, you definitely should check them out. Here are links to them for your convenience: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

The selling price that you saw mentioned for this car definitely looks attractive to me. Volvo doesn't have very big margins on the S40.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Mike. The fact that you qualify for Ford's employee, or at least its supplier purchase program, should enable you to get a good deal on this car. I would be happy to give you my opinion on this deal and to work up a lease payment on the car that you are interested in using Volvo Finance's actual current lease program. In order for me to do so, I need you to provide me with the MSRP and selling price of the car that you are considering leasing. Let me know and I'll tell you what I think and do some calculations.

Car_man
    Host
  • ottawasenskyottawasensky Member Posts: 5
    Hi, thanks for all your help. I honestly just kind of asked, how much it would be a month for a S40, base, no bells or whistles. Im assuming the MSRP would be 24,040. I do qualify for the Ford Z plan for the Volvo as well. Im not sure what the selling price was.

Like I said, they told me 310 a month for 48 months, but i wanted something around that for 36 months at the most.

Im going to try the internet sales person tomorrow, to see what kind of deal I can get too. Hopefully this info is enough for you.

Thanks again,

Mike
  • brush99brush99 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a quick question. I went to the volvo dealer and was told by a salesperson, their deal was the s40 MSRP $29,000 (package), sale price $22,000. 27 month lease, 10,000 miles a year. No money down (tax, title, 1st month payment) = $1140 Do you think this sounds like a pretty good deal. Only thing I am worried about is the 10,000 miles a year. Do you think it is worth it to pay more a month to add more miles ? Is it worth say $20 more a month for 12,000 miles. My commute to work isnt very far, though I dont want to feel constricted to travel on the weekends cause of miles. Thanks, this is a great forum and has been very helpful looking at other's questions.
  • gregory3gregory3 Member Posts: 7
    I have seen 2 offers out there. 1. which one is the better offer, and is it possible to negotiate lower?

1. 239/Month, 36 months, 4345 due at lease signing (3000 cap reduction).
    based on an MSRP of $28,750 (2.4i, auto, sunroof, climate and select package).
    Lease end buy out for: $13,225

2. 299/Month, 27 months, only first payment due at lease signing.
    Based on MSRP of 28,610 (similar equipped as above).
    Lease end buy out for: $18,360.

Thanks in advanced for any help.
    Greg
  • mlink999mlink999 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know what the current residuals and money factors are on the S40 T5 AWD? I've been quoted 499+tax/mo, first months payment+aquisition fee+tax/title. The MSRP is $34,525. I think the lender was Wells Fargo and the money factor was .00295 and residual at 58% for 48 months? Which didn't make sense to me, maybe he meant 48%?... Wouldn't Volvo Finance have a better deal? I'd like to stick with a 36 month lease.
  • coast2coastcoast2coast Member Posts: 13
    First I'd like to say how awesome Edmunds and this forum is. Now that I'm done buttering you up.

Can someone give me the actual A1 Credit Money Factor (I think there is a special offer right now) and Residual on a 36 month, 15k miles a year lease;

1) 2006 S40 T5 (fwd not awd)

2) 2006 S40 2.4I (Select, Sport Packages if that matters)

3) Can you residualize the spoiler/body cladding? (Since its a dealer add on?)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Support Edmunds and Click on all those lil banners!!!!
  • cvpacguycvpacguy Member Posts: 14
    On a car with an MSRP of 28,560, what would a 24 month (can do something longer than 24 but don't want 36) lease with 15k miles a year be? Money factor, residual, with excellent top-tier credit?
    Hi Greg. The best way to tell which one of these leases is the better deal is to compare their selling prices. These are very important numbers for you as a consumer to know. Without the selling price, not only do you not know how much of a discount you are being given on the car that you are interested in, but it is difficult to calculate a lease payment on it. I would be happy to give you my opinion on these deals if you let me know what their selling prices are.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi mlink999. I only personally keep tabs on the lease programs that are being offered by manufacturers' captive finance companies. As a result, I can give you an idea of what Volvo Finance's current lease program for this car should be like, but I am not sure about Wells Fargo's program. If you were to lease a 2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD through Volvo Finance right now for 48 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00173 and 42%, respectively in most areas. The numbers for a 36 month, 15,000 mile per year lease of this car through Volvo Finance are currently .00138 and 51%, respectively in most areas. The reason that you were quoted a lease on this car through Wells Fargo is that Volvo is currently providing a $5,500 cash incentive on '06 S40 T5 AWD models that are leased through independent banks. Make sure to take this cash into account during your negotiations.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi cvpacguy. The S40's lease program varies depending upon the exact trim level of the car that you want. Are you interested in the 2.4i, T5, or T5 AWD model? Let me know and I will be happy to give you an idea of what Volvo Finance's current lease program is like for it. I will estimate what the lease payment for the car that you are interested in should be like as well if you provide me with an approximate selling price for it.

Car_man
    Host
    I'm glad that you enjoy this Forum so much, coast2coast. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2006 Volvo S40 T5 FWD through Volvo Finance right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00125 and 49%, respectively in most areas. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '06 S40 2.4i should be .00159 and 49%, respectively in most areas. You may want to consider leasing these cars through an independent bank rather than through Volvo Finance. Volvo is currently providing a $4,000 cash incentive on leases of '06 S40 2.4i models and $4,500 on '06 S40 T5 FWD models through independent banks.

Car_man
    Host
  • 25stjames25stjames Member Posts: 6
    Carman, thank you for providing this information. Can you tell me what the MF and residual for a Volvo S40 2.4i sedan with automatic transmission is at 10500 or 12000 miles/36 months are? Thank you.
    Hey Car_man,

I'm interested in both the T5 and 2.4, depending on how good the deal is. I'm looking at either a 27 or 36 month lease. Front-wheel drive as well.

I've been reading that people are getting these cars for around invoice, so let's go with that as an estimate. Thanks!
  • gkrongkron Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I was just wondering if I'm getting a good deal on a leasefor an S40IASR with the select and climtate packages. I was quoted at $355/month for 27 months 10k miles/yr no money down everything rolled in. I don't have the exact numbers of the deal but the sales price was about $22,500 and the residual was $17,000. Any input would be aprreciated.

Thanks,

Gary
  • johnedmjohnedm Member Posts: 5
    Working on a deal for a manual s40 T5 AWD right now and waiting for the paperwork from the dealer. Quote was $301/mo plus tax for 3 years/12,000 a year. $954 down plus MV fees. MSRP of the car was a little over $29,000. Seems like a great deal so I jumped on it.
    that seems like an AMAZING deal...can you give me details in terms of the residual value and money factor? what was the final capitalized cost you negotiated?
  • volviovolvio Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Great discussion board by the way.

My wife and I are about to dive into the current a/z lease plan on an s40 2.4($2250 in bonus, $0 cap reduction, 24 mo, 10,500 mi/yr, , net cap cost of $21,078 on an msrp of 24,735)and I just want to know if the a/z plan is really the best I can do or am I better off negotiating on my own.
    Is there ANYTHING to negotiate here?
    Thank you for the great board!

Ivan
  • volviovolvio Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Great discussion board by the way.

My wife and I are about to dive into the current a/z lease plan on an s40 2.4($2250 in bonus, $0 cap reduction, 24 mo, 10,500 mi/yr, , net cap cost of $21,078 on an msrp of 24,735 all for $$246 / mo with 1,100 at signing. I just want to know if the a/z plan is really the best I can do or am I better off negotiating on my own.
    Is there ANYTHING to negotiate here?
    Thank you for the great board!

Ivan
This discussion has been closed.