Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Versa

Comments

• Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Like I said, Nissan's got issues developing efficient 4s.

~alpha
  • Options
    randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    When these cars are tested .....are they already broken in. I know on most cars that makes a big difference on mileage. My car gets over the e.p.a. of 27/35 mine is more like 31/40 now that is is broke in. Oh I drive an Aveo 5-speed.
  • Options
    fuegochickfuegochick Member Posts: 3
    Even with the decrease in mpg, I still think the Versa is a good car. I am mulling the Fit, Yaris, and Caliber. So far, with the specs I want, Versa prices out the best. I really like the way the Caliber looks but it's just a bit too expensive with certain options. And I just don't like the way the Fit looks.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I am very curious about the Versa also. It seems like "more car" than the Fit and yet less expensive. You might also want to take a look at the '07 Accent hatch when it is available in the next few weeks, and also the Rio5. C/D rated the Rio5 above the Yaris and Caliber, and the Accent sedan (which is not nearly as sporty in appearance or handling at the hatch) above the Caliber.
  • Options
    chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Styling is certainly a personal choice. What one person thinks is ugly another likes. I like some of Renaults styling. From personal experience I know they have came a long way since the horrible 1980's. They, like Hyundai, had to improve their quality. My in-laws own a new grand Scenic. It drives great, and has a lot of power, its the diesel version. If rebadged a Nissan it would be a great competitor for the Mazda 5
  • Options
    Your right on size Becky. The Versa is baised on the Megane which is considered a midsize car in Europe. The Fit and Yaris are what they term Supermini's. We here in the states do not have those size classifications. There are cars well smaller then the Fit sold in the rest of the world. My In-laws and most of the people I have met over there think a car like Chrylser's PT is a large car. Some of the city streets I have driven on you could not attempt to get a chevy pick up down. And then there is the fuel price thing we all know about. Last fall they were paying $7.00 a gallon! :surprise:
  • Options
    ross14ross14 Member Posts: 36
    At the Ny Autoshow, the Versa seemed to be in another class than its competition.(BETTER). Although it was locked, it seemed visually more interesting, & certainly more upper cost class. An English magazine surveys the reliability of European cars, & as usual, those cars with good reps. in the U.S.(Non-European), rate higher. Hope the Versa's genes are fully Japanese in build quality.
  • Options
    I got to see two versa hatchbacks in person today. They were at a restaurant by an exit close to my house. I was able to look at them closely. One was champagne in color and the other was dark blue. The lighter color one had the badge and name removed. The blue one had tape over all the names and badges. They are not much shorter than the Sentra and are taller. They look much better in person than the photos. I thought from the photos they were not very well per portioned. I take that back. So I really like the exterior now. My only hold up will be if they end up without a dark interior option. I do not buy light gray or tan interiors.
  • Options
    Although based on a European Renault, I'm sure nissan did its work on making sure the suppliers were up to its quality levels. I'm assuming it is using a nissan engine. I know Renault now uses some of nissan's engines in its cars.
    When I first read of the Versa it was said to be built in Mexico. Not sure if that changed along the way or not.
  • Options
    The Versa definitely has a dark interior, either very dark grey or black cloth with a black dash. I have seen this interior at two auto shows and also in the C/D comparo that included the Versa, so it looks like a lock. There is also a tan interior, which is featured in the Versa brochures. I usually prefer a tan interior, but for some reason the dark interior appeals to me on the Versa. I think the dash looks more upscale in all black vs. two-tone. Maybe the tan interior looks better in person. I've only seen it in the brochure.

The Versa will be built in Mexico, in the same factory that makes the Sentra now.
  • Options
    These two cars had the tan interior. I like the styling but tan is definitly not for me. I am looking forward to seeing the black!!!
  • Options
    Look at the C/D comparo of the Versa et. al., I think it is on their Web site now. That Versa had the dark interior and there were several pics.
  • Options
    pointatobpointatob Member Posts: 30
    I saw the Versa hatchback at the NY auto show also. i thought it looked pretty good; it would have been nice to sit inside it though.

i know there's been a lot of discussion about the size of the vehicle (subcompact / compact). to me from the outside, it looked about the same size as a mazda3 5 door or vibe / matrix, although seeing a car on an auto show floor can be deceiving. wouldn't the versa (by it's weight and interior volume) actually be competing against these cars? the storage room behind the rear seat looked smaller than vibe / matrix, but similar to mazda3 5 door or kia spectra5...
  • Options
    I think your right from the size stand point. These are not B segment cars. It is bigger than the fit/versa/aveo/rio/ect...
  • Options
    I have been twice now to the Versa web page to build the car with the options I would want if I were to buy. Does anyone know what is in some of the packages. like the sport package. The website will not let me see what is included in the package. :confuse: I'm cross shopping the Versa with the Fit and the Yaris. So far the Fit is in the lead just because of packaging and dealer friendliness. Has anyone placed an order for a Versa yet? How long a wait were you told?
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    I thought when I did a configure that it told me what was in the package, at least the key stuff.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    bigfootinlabigfootinla Member Posts: 1
    The Yaris and Fit are both buildable online via EDMUNDS.COM, although not yet on CARS.COM. The Versa as of today is not. I have driven both the Fit and Yaris, and find that I would be willing to pay the extra $2100 for the Fit. I am 6’2” and weigh over 300 lbs and the Fit is much roomier. True, there is no seat height adjustment on either, but I still had headroom to spare in both. There were two things that impressed me about the Fit over the Yaris: 1) Engine response. The Yaris is a gutless wonder – It would be fine around the city, but I wouldn’t want to take it on a trip if getting up to speed on the freeway on-ramp is a factor. The Fit had much more pep. 2) Interior design. The Fit interior was much higher quality. The Yaris was mostly plastic, and the dials were center-located and LED rather than a standard style. It felt cramped: Fit has another 1 ½” shoulder room per person, and I can tell you that it made a difference. Also, the Fit has a ledge at the window line that was comfortable as an armrest. I am still waiting to try the Versa, as the interior dimensions have a slight edge over the Fit, and beat the Yaris in every category. Does anyone have accurate data on mileage? Different forums have different quotes for different transmissions, and none agree.
  • Options
    ross14ross14 Member Posts: 36
    Its becomming clear that the Versa is a Renault Megane. In Europe, its clearly above the Yaris category. I'm hoping that we can get a Civic/Corolla type car posing as a subcompact, with a minimum price. The Versa, with its great styling, combined with its French roots, & Mexican build, will challenge Nissans declining reputation for "Build". Hope it has a lengthy warranty.
  • Options
    what is the Sentra's dependability rating? The versa will be built at the same plant. I would imagine that even though the chassis and suspension is of Renault design, Nissan has made as many things compatible with its products as possible. I'm sure Nissan is using its own 1.8L engine. I have owned Renault products years ago. Problems mainly were limited to the cooling system which was of a crazy closed loop design and placement of the water pump. New Renault products have came a long way. Similar to what Hyundai did. Renault is slowly switching to Nissan engines in Europe.
  • Options
    vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    I also think fears of dreadful reliability for the Versa are not that justified. The financial takeover of Nissan by Renault resulted in renault using more Nissan engines and powertrains, so Renault are becoming nissans somehow. Renault keep the lead for the body design, which is an area they are doing well. and it is rare to have a frame malfunctioning or a warranty call for suspension subsets.

Versa have been sold in China for 8 months already. they aren't as popular as FIT because of the price imho. a well equipped Versa can be up to 40% more expensive than a FIT and with a 1,6L-110HP engine only.
    If offered with a 1,8L and with same price as Fit, I would have looked at the Versa very closely.

Seems Nissan are aggressive in the US market and I think versas deserve some close look. they would have deserved a 2L+ Engine with 150 HP
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    This car is built on an extended "B" platform. No current Renault product uses this same platform. The car was jointly developed with Renault. Renaults version should launch next spring. The engine is Nissan's as will be the transmissions.

Mark.
  • Options
    Caliber is out. Yaris is out. Fit is out. But Versa is nowhere to be seen, well at least in my neck of the woods (the southwest). Anyone know when this car will be available?

I too am debating the above four vehicles. Right now, Versa and Caliber are my top two because they are bigger than the Fit and Yaris. Fit is getting rave reviews but I would be terrified to get behind the wheel of such a small car when the speed limit on the interstate here is 75mph and Suburbans and pick up trucks are the cars of choice. LOL. I don't care how many airbags it has, I just would not feel safe in such a little car.
  • Options
    raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I believe that the Versa should hit dealers in June 2006, with the four-door sedan coming in November.

If Nissan can keep the quality of the materials good they may have a winner, especially since it will be likely the Versa will be easier to find than a Honda Fit! :)
  • Options
    It was first reported that the car was built on a c-segment Megane chassis but now the journalists are saying it is on the an extended "B" chassis that is used under the current Nissan Micra and Renault Cleo.
  • Options
    Renault Clio

The new Clio is already 4 Meter long, so it is possible they used this platform.

Edmunds posted a first review of the Versa. seems this car is quite promising
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I am very eager to drive the Versa...From photographs, it looks to have an exceedungly roomy interior for it's small footprint....I was a little dismayed,though, that Automobile Magazine thought it not much fun to drive compared to the other minis....Economy is nice,but it's gotta be a good drive,too!
  • Options
    Car & Driver said the Versa had the best combination of ride and handling in their recent small-car test. If you want the best-handling little (low-cost) car, the Fit is probably it but it doesn't have as much rear-seat room as the Versa, and it is supposed to cost less comparably equipped.
  • Options
    you cannot get a Fit comparably equipped. To me, a moonroof is a must have (a true deal breaker). Stereo controls on the steering wheel are also high on the list, but I can compromise on that.

Neither one is available on the Fit.

That really is the strength of the Versa (not having driven, so all on paper). You really can get lots of features and goodies, many very rare in this class (ie bluetooth), for a great price.

And, the only negative (if you look at it that way) that seems to be reported is it isn't quite sporty enough (that is, the handling is a little soft), although you seem to get a nice ride in trade. If that is the case, a pretty cheap aftermarket upgrade (sway bar, shocks/struts) and yo might have the best of both worlds.

• Options
    Right, you can get more equipment on the Versa. My point was that if you equip a Versa like, say, a base Fit, the Versa is considerably less. Also I have a feeling there will be discounts available on the Versa before they are available on the Fit.
  • Options
    All the recent info has rekindled my interest in the Versa. Only problem is, I bought a car last December, and trading in before my first oil change would not sit well with the wife!

But, I will still go check it out, just in case.

• Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    What did you buy,stickguy?...There's lots of cars I'd like as much as a Versa(probably).
  • Options
    I bought an Accord EX-L 5 speed. About the only feature the Versa is missing is power leather seats, but if the cloth ones in the Versa were good enough, it wouldn't matter. Besides, the seats aren't my favorite part of the Honda!

I do like the room (as does the family), and it is a great cruising car (although I drive mostly around town). I even get good mileage.

But, for the price, and I really like the hatchback flexibility, if I needed something now I would be much more likely to look hard at the Versa as opposed to another Accord.

• Options
    bret27bret27 Member Posts: 10
    My wife is set to lease a 2006 Matrix XR but I want her to look at a Nissan Versa. Anybody have any info on when they will be in the showrooms?
  • Options
    jjx456jjx456 Member Posts: 41
  • Options
    harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    In 1990, we got a Sentra XE, automatic(3 speed). Best Car we ever owned! 233,000+ miles. Rust, and other issues ,forced us to dump it. Still ran very well when we did the trade-in.
    In 97, the spouse needed a car, so she got the Nissan(2 door Sentra)200sx, automatic.
    At first, it was a nice car, for about 3 years.
    Afterwards? At 65K+ miles, the car just stopped running.
    It was towed, and it was over 1K to fix it local mechanic.

He said the timing chain slipped due to a tooth broke off the gear, and that then caused the plugs to burn out on one side, and messed up the starter(rebuilt the starter) and igniton coil was messed up.

We got all of this fixed, and almost immediately afterwards, the car hesitated, check engine lights kept ocming on, etc.
    We did get it paid off on (and then some) trade in, luckily for us.

TCNO(take care/not offense)

I may have posted this before(I looked, may have not posted it?).
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Check out this link for a glowing review of Versa. http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/07versa.htm

Sounds much more feature rich, larger & more comfortable than Fit. The penalty is handling & gas mileage.

This Canadian driver site is second only to Edmunds for excellent new car reviews. EDMUNDS IS STILL DA BEST! :shades:
  • Options
    brianmitabrianmita Member Posts: 9
    so I have a hypothesis as to why the 38 to 36 combined mpg was revised.

somebody in global marketing just converted the miles per liter number to a miles per gallon number for the mr18, without considering the cat piss we use here in the states. couple that with the fact that the Tiida is marketed in japan as a near luxury car and could possibly demand a higher octane rating, whereas nissan has to tune it down in the states for the low octane since it's a sub compact here.

just a guess, but I'm betting if you put the highest octane gas regularly and have the timing advanced electronically at the dealer, you could pull 38 combined pretty easily (with the cvt)
  • Options
    Tiida in Japan and China is 1.6L instead of 1.8 in the US. this could explain a difference in mpg.

for me this car still deserves a 2.0 or even more.
  • Options
    kristin2779kristin2779 Member Posts: 1
    I think the Versa sounds great, I just wish it would get on the lots already!!! The toyota matrix XR is my second choice but its a little more expensive and I want to give the Versa a chance. The only think I am worried about is buying a new model car. I am worried about recalls and there is no history of dependability. What do you all think about that? Is is wise to buy a new model????
  • Options
    pdxtauruspdxtaurus Member Posts: 16
    Sorry if this question has been answered, but I couldn't find the answer using the search feature:

Does the "power package" include cruise control?

I'm looking for a commuter-mobile, so I want cruise control. According to the Nissan website a Versa with anti-lock brakes and the "power package" runs $13,505. But the link explaining what the "power package" entails is broken. I think that some Nissans include cruise in the "power package," but I can't tell if the Versa does.

$13,505 is a great deal. If I have to move up to the SL trim to get cruise, though, it's just a good deal. Anyone know?
  • Options
    dworthidworthi Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the rear seats on the Versa will be be movable as in the japanese version.
  • Options
    kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    experience of purchasing a car that was built in Mexico? I'm just concerned about the build quality concerning the new Versa since it's suppose to be built in Mexico. Has there been any reports on quality issues? Thanks.
  • Options
    I actually did have a care made in mexico. A 1995 mercury Mystique, which I am 99% sure now was made there. Bought it in 1998, kept it for 3 years.

I really had no problems with it, certainly nothing even remotely associated with where it was built. And this was an early build, 1st year model.

The quality of assemply seemed fine. It looked like it could have been screwed together in Japan or Germany.

The Nissan plant in Mexico is probably so automated these days that there is very little difference between Mexico and anywhere else. But, check one out closely to see if you feel that the quality of assembly is up to your standards.

• Options
    I am not sure that in '95 (first year for the Mystique) they were made in Mexico. Mine was made in Kansas City. It had a window sticker on the car to that effect.
  • Options
    I remember seeing the sticker or whatever that said it. I recall being surprised. I think at that time they may have been built in both places.

• Options
    You are right! I just found a web page that notes the 1995 Contour and Mystique were assembled at Ford's Kansas City, Missouri, and Cuautitlan, Mexico, plants. (I can't post the link because it is a competitive site to Edmunds.com.)
  • Options
    lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    I have Sentra 2001 built in Mexico. 1st year production. The car did not experienced any issues caused by assembly during 5 years I have it.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who are looking to purchase a or have already purchased the new subcompact cars because of the high cost of fuel. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the vehicle you are considering.

---------------

A national finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who have traded-in their larger SUV for a smaller vehicle, because of the high cost of gas. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and car you traded-in and the current car you own.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    My local dealer says we won't be seeing any Versas until OCTOBER!

I so want to see this car already and take a test drive. I am getting impatient.