Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - V

Comments

• Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    CP, yes this is the grill insert I spoke of earlier. it just snaps into place, takes about 5-10 minutes. It is made by LUND. I just felt the opening on the Ranger was a bit large and may allow rocks, twigs and so on into the radiator area while I am off on one of my offroad stints.
    The Adrenaline looks great!! Now if Ford would just build it.
    Hind, where are you??? Did you see my pics proving I live in Oregon??? and Own a Ranger.
    The S-10 does not belong in the same league as the Ranger and Tacoma. The S-10 ranks low for reliability and build quality. I have read though Chevy/GMC are coming out in 2001/2002 with a S-10 that will solve the majority of these problems, all new engines, new styling, size of the Dakota, optional V8 and so on...
  • Options
    scottssssscottssss Member Posts: 147
    Spoog always like to Point out the Tacoma's higher payload capacity. But today we went to Home depot to get some bricks for the backyard. We had one Tacoma 4x4 2.7l sr5 31" tires . And my 4x2 ranger 3.0L XLT. We loaded 25 bricks (approx. 25 lbs each)into each truck. the rear of the Tacoma SAGGED so much that the tires were almost rubbing. we took five Brick out to be safe and put them in my ranger. And even with 250Lbs more of bricks plus my 150Lb Fiberglass Cap (900 lbs total) my Ranger didnt even have a noticable tilt to it at all.

i guess toyota is just a little more generous when rating the payload..
  • Options
    spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    What does that prove Scottss? Absolutely nothing.

This isn't the Chevy vs. Ford forum. Heresay and myths aren't accepted.

Toyota has been making compact pickups with higher payload ratings than most entry level full size pickups for many years.
  • Options
    Abouththe ZR2. Yes the Toyota TRD would man-handle it offroad. Hows this for an endorsement:

4wheeler.com-

"The Tacoma TRD handled the rough stuff better than any other vehicle we have ever driven".

Thats says it all my confused friend..that says it all.
  • Options
    cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    Maybe Toyota shouldn't rate their payloads so high if their trucks can't handle it.

This seems similar to measuring the ground clearance from the higher of the two axles and then toting to the buying public about the Toyota's "massive" ground clearance advantage.

I think that Ford rates their payloads and towing capacities similar to airplanes and their top speeds. Airplanes will have a top speed and a never exceed speed (structural integrity may be compromised). Toyota's ratings seem like they're using the "never exceed so and so" rating whereas structural integrity may be compromised. Just some observations, tho.
  • Options
    PURE speculation. Dont forget, the Tacoma is rated as a 3/4 ton truck, not a 1/2 ton by the automobile institutes and insurance companies.

Their standards for payload have been EXCELLENT. REst assured, the Tacoma will out haul a ranger any day of the week, mark my word. Toyota used to make a 2 ton compact that could haul the heaviest of loads. Their load carrying capacity ion the african outback and the himalayas(among other places) is absolutely LEGENDARY.

Were not talking about a city truck here like the ranger. The toyota compact is based on years of wilderness travel and the roughest terrain imagineable. It is based on being a military vehicle for the UN and counltess other third world countries where there are no paved roads.

It emodies the very word "truck" in every sense.

It is a legend. There are very few legends in the truck world. The Toyota compact, the Jeep wrangler/cj, and the landcruiser . These are world wide , extreme trucks. They have built their reputation in some of the craziest,most insane conditions you could ever dream up.

All the 4wheel mags know this, and that is why the Tacoma soundly destroyed the Ranger in 4wheelers and PEtersons head to head offroad tests.
  • Options
    As for the Taco's ground clearance issue, well thats widely published fact. There is quite a difference.
  • Options
    Anecdotes and heresay!?!?

Tacoma is a LEGENDARY???

Just keep pumping out those beer commercial, car rag magazine slogans. It seems like you're trying to persuade yourself more than me.

I noticed you couldn't actually stick to the vehicles or questions at hand. But, you go into some crazy jabbering about trapsing around the African jungles with UN soldiers in a huge but compact Toyota hauling 2 tons of that Peterson's article you're so fond of.

Here's a little reality check for you. Toyota overrates everything. Calling the Tundra a full-sized truck, the Tacoma's ground clearance, the Tacoma's towing (try towing 5000+ lbs in a torque challenged vehicle), Tacoma's hauling, and the list goes on.

Do you know why? It's called "puffing", and they use it to add value to their vehicles and to sell them. EVERY vehicle manufacturer does it. It just seems that Toyota likes to exaggerate a little more than the rest.

Would you try to tow 5000lbs in a Ranger or Taco? Would you throw 1500lbs of stone into the bed? They're both rated to handle it, but you'd be stupid to try with either truck.

About the automobile institutes and insurance companies rating the tacoma as a 3/4 ton p/u. They also rate the Durango as a compact SUV. They somehow rate the Tundra as a full-size. And the list of meaningless ratings goes on...
  • Options
    stan11stan11 Member Posts: 12
    if the following info was already discussed, (I simply jumped to the end of the topic), but I'm going to post it anyway.

According to "The Ultimate Car Book 2000" by Jack Gillis, the top three vehicles with the most complaints to number of cars on the road are the Kia Sportage, Chevy S-Series and Toyota Tacoma. I had my Tacoma for over 4 years before selling it and it was overall trouble-free. The same can be said about my wife's Explorer. It's a little premature to rate my Y2K F150.
  • Options
    is that 500 lbs made the Tacoma Sag to the point of not being safe, where as my Ranger had 900 lbs in the back and wasnt even noticably tilting. This is not hersay or SPECULATION... THIS is what i SAW with my own two eyes,,,

Now what it means is Either:
    1. toyota overates thier vehicles payload.
    OR
    2. this 2 year old tacoma had already busted its rear suspension.

you go ahead and take your pick.
  • Options
    allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    I really like my Toyota Tacoma too but you may be a bit obsessed.
  • Options
    wsnoblewsnoble Member Posts: 241
    Found a place that offers Mobile 1 service. Got the 10W30 and the Mobile 1 filter. Will it still be 3000 miles per change? I have heard 5000 miles other places...

Thanks
    -wsn
  • Options
    I have had 1700 pounds in my taco plus another person that weighed 200 pounds and not even had a problem.

As for the Toyota truck legend, it speaks for itself. Just turn on any documentary on tV, and watch the 4x4 Yotas wizz by. The y are the preferred vehicle where there are no raods.
  • Options
    Man o man, you will always be clueless, won't you?

Thats ok.

"Here's a little reality check for you. Toyota
    overrates everything. "

Where is your proof? I have used my tacoma at it's max levels and it has performed FLAWLESSlY. Have you tried to tow or load up a tacom with the suggested max weight? NO you haven't, so in the meantime, quit spreading your heresay and lies.

i have towed a 4,500 pound boat and had 1,500 pounds of gear in the bed to the NOrthwoods with no problem at all.

" Calling the Tundra a
    full-sized truck, "

It is. A full size truck is defined by wether or not it can fit a 8x4 sheet of plywood in the bed flat. The Trundra does this. NOt only does it do that, but it's only v8 outhauls and outtows most of the other full size v8's except for the Ford 5.4 and Cehvy 5.9. It is a full size pickup in every sense of the word. It's cabin dimensions may be slightly smaller, but that doesn't make it any less full size.

"the Tacoma's ground clearance,"

Umm....which is the highest in it's class!! Doh!!!

"the Tacoma's towing (try towing 5000+ lbs in a
    torque challenged vehicle),"

Wrong. I have. And dont forget, the Taco has more max rear wheel torque than the Ranger. Also dont forget that my torque is up around 280 with the charger.

" Tacoma's hauling, and
    the list goes on."

The hauling is amazing. I had a friend who had a higher payload rating in his toyota shortbed 4cyl 4x4 than a friends f150 v8 4x4. We built his cabin in Colorado, and the Toyota compacthauled more stuff more comfortably than that f150 did. It was hilarious. Of course , the 4cyl at 9,000 feet is a bit "lacking" to say the least. Ford offers an option for the Ranger to make the payload to 1500 from 1100 standard. The Tacoms are somewhere around 1500 standard.

The Tacomas have always had great ability to haul stuff in the bed. ITs one of the reasons I got a Yota. Not only that, but they could really manage the load well in rough terrain. HEnce the use as documentary vehicles 200 miles in to the african bush.
  • Options
    trenttrent Member Posts: 86
    Wrong on the torque issue. Toyota does not have more rear wheel torque than the Ranger with the same rear end ratio.
  • Options
    cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    wsn:
    I have changed my Mobil 1 at 5,000 mile cycle with no problems that I can see. I think you would work ok at 5K. You SHOULD notice a difference.

Weight in Ranger:
    Well, even with a 1260lb payload rating I do put in roughly 190gal of H2O in my tank. Take 8.3lb, the weight of 1 gal of water times 190 and you get 1577lb. Add the weight of the tank, 70lb, you get for the sake of argument, 1650lb, kinda right at 3/4 ton. But add my weight, 265lb you get in excess of 1900lb. payload I often carry. Add the wife's weight and we are over the magic "ton". Will take a pic of a full water tank in the Ranger and post soon for those that doubt my word.
    Now I would not recomend putting that weight in any small p/u for extended periods, but I can surely prove a Ranger will carry the load. Yes, it will sag but not down to the wheels by any means.
  • Options
    "but it's only v8 outhauls and outtows most of the other full size v8's except for the Ford 5.4 and Cehvy 5.9" Dont forget the Dodge engine too...
    So what you are saying is that the TOP OF THE LINE Tundra engine is more powerful than the BASE 4wd engines of the big 3's... Wow impressive... Spoog must be employed by the toyota marketing dept.
  • Options
    "Have you tried to tow or load up a tacom with the
    suggested max weight? NO you haven't, so in the
    meantime, quit spreading your heresay and lies."

YEs i have and i have stated the results.. this is WHAT I SAW.. htey are not heresay or lies..
  • Options
    if I wanted something bigger than a compact truck but smaller than a full-size truck, i'd look at a dakota or tundra. hence, they are mid-sized. you're eating up that marketing fluff like apple pie at grandma's house.

if you just look at the classings, there are obviously so many vehicles in the wrong classes. it's because they use meaningless, little measurements for class determination.

toyota loves to exaggerate ground clearance by measuring from the higher of the two axles. shouldn't ground clearance be measured from the lowest point of the truck? isn't that the whole point?

"Toyota compacthauled more stuff more comfortably than that f150 did"

Did the wood talk to you and say "it feels so much better in this toyota than that ford. thanks, spoog, for making us lumber comfortable."

"Also dont forget that my torque is up around 280 with the charger." Not even close. Try 256hp and 267ft/lbs of torque. how much did that SC cost by the way? on the TRD website the SC was $3000 w/o labor. i wouldn't doubt it to be well over 4K making a 24K truck 28K. Ouch. Maybe you should have waited for a Tundra. You'd get the same performance out of their V8 (highly regarded) without sacrificing engine life with the SC.

heresay and lies? you sure sound defensive. does reality hurt that much?
  • Options
    I was up on the Mountain yesterday and I wish I could have taken pictures of the Toyota with its legendary offroading ability I saw. A young guy in about a 90 Toyota 4x4 with a lift kit, and some huge what looked to be 32" - 34" tires was stuck, stuck, stuck in the snow!! I got quiet a chuckle and immediatly thought of spoog, hind, and wsn, wish I had the camera. I didn't stop to help the guy, he was already being pulled out by an Isuzu Trooper!@!!! LOL. I'm telling you, Toyota owners are over confident in their vehicles it seems.
    I notice hind has hit the road after I gave him proof I live in the NW and only about an hour to the Cascade range.
    The Tundra is not full size, its been shown over and over and over again with dimensions, Love that Tacoma rear axle and drive line! Along with the open axle. Toyota keeps comparing the lowest engines in both Ford and Chevy and people are catching on.
  • Options
    lol.

HAve you seen motor trends truck of the year?
    How about all the rest of the mags? Yep, the ole' tundra. Car and Driver, Road and track, motrotrend, 4wheeler, Petersons all pick it over the Dodge, Chevy and Ford full size pickups. Just crazy....isn't it? lol.

Im heading to Europe this week and im planning on bringing my lap top with me. They charge you 10 dollars for 10 minutes online on the plane and in some hotels in Europe, but you know I will be chiming in on this forum regardless.

I'll also be taking a ride through the wildlands of Spain. I'll be sure to find out what the guides vehicle of choice is.......asta.
  • Options
    Looks like mom and dad are sending spoog to europe for the summer..
  • Options
    i happen to like the tundra and i like the tacoma too.. But you wont accept the reasons i bought a ranger , so i am just pointing out toyota marketing methods that you also spout..
  • Options
    mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    You really havn't said why the zr2 is better then the Tacoma TRD. Again, what is it aboout the ZR2 that makes it a more competant offroad vehicle then the Tacoma TRD? Is it the fender flares? The power of the 4.3 is nice I am sure but I dont really see how a huge benifit offraod considering how well the 22R has faired on the older toyota pickups. So what, is it the ground clearance, articulation, turning radius, approach/departure angles?
  • Options
    Hey EAgle......that quote was from 4wheeler.com...you know, the guys who review pretty much every good 4x4 made.....who have driven EVERYTHING.

That comment was concerning some seriously rough trails in the mountains. Shal I provide you with the link to the review site so you can see why 4wheeler thinks the Tacoma is the best stock production offroader made besides the Wrangler? lol.

Your zr2 is nothing against a tacoma, nothing.

"In
    the off-road arena, the ZR2 doesn't really have any
    serious competition"

hahahhahahahahhahaah! Thats right, because the ZR2@ is virtually LAST in almost every category. It's a joke truck my friend. The payload is a joke, the whole truck is a joke. Its not even CLOSE to being a good offroader.

Hey Eagle, there was a compact shootout in PEtersons offroad in june of 99. I suggest you go read it. The ranger beat the zr2 offroad, and the Tacoma finished first, ahead of the Ranger. And the Tacoma was a non-trd. Go figure.

by the way, this sint the Chevy forum. If you keep osting here, I will happily make you look like a fool. I can already feel my mouse clicking over the the NHSTA recall and TSB links........

GREETINGS FROM THE FRIENDLY SKIES
  • Options
    reddogsreddogs Member Posts: 353
    Rupert Murdoch is probably going to buy General Motors, and take it apart and sell the pieces which are worth mor than the whole. They said that he was interested in buying GM to get its Hughes Electronics and the satellite TV business, DirectTV. Just getting DirectTV is probably worth billions to the Banks and Wall Street investors who would be the ones coming up with most of the money.
  • Options
    What toyota is saying in there add is that there base v8 engine is better than it's competitors base v8's.

As far as trucks being stuck, that has more to do with driver ability, than anything.

ZR2 better than a Toyota and a Ranger, would like to see the facts to back this one up!

Regardless of how Toyota measures ground clearence, no matter how you slice it they still have the most. I do think CP proved this once before. It is not a couple feet, but it is more. What one should notice is how Toyota tucks everything out of the way on the Tacoma, by design and with skid plates. Look under a Tacoma, any reasonable person can see this feature

And whoever has positive thoughts on Chevy's build quality. Go look at the recalls. And most of the reviews on this site. I don't need to see Spoog print the whole list. And i bet it's quite long...

-wsn
  • Options
    I am also reading this more and more on the Internet about a possible GM buyout and break-up. Maybe the Generals days are numbered?? I can only see a handfull of divisions actually surviving. Chevy, Cadallic, Pontiac.
    That is the whole point! The Tundras top of the line V8 offered only stands up to Ford/Chevy/Dodge lowest V8 offered@! LOL.
  • Options
    "That is the whole point! The Tundras top of the
    line V8 offered only stands up to Ford/Chevy/Dodge
    lowest V8 offered@! LOL"

NOT THE POINT! Toyota only offers one V8 thus far, and it is better than the entry level of it's competitors. There is no top of line , or even any line, just one V8 is offered.

Edmunds wrote an article on breaking GM up. It was pretty good...

-wsn
  • Options
    superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    toyotas V8 is better? it has 245 hp vs Chevys 4.8 with 270 and its better? LOL
  • Options
    .. when toyota advertises it as the most powerfull in full size trucks, when its not..
  • Options
    would be ...all entry level engines.. but toyota knows the 3.4 doesnt compare to the other entry level v6's.. or even top of the line engines.. but toyota cant be BEST at either of those sooo they pick and choose which engines they compare.

that is good Marketing but quite misleading
  • Options
    Super Jim -- The Toyota v8 outhauled, out towed, and out accelerated every competitors v8 except for the 5.9 chevy and the 5.4 liter ford.

Check the recent edition of Motor Trend, and the article o nthe tundra 4x4. Motor Trend said theTundra had the best "pull" and acceleration with 1,200 pounds in the bed, over the dodge, chevy, and ford v8's. Oh, also dont forget braking and handling data either.

Motor Trend

" The people in Indiana at the toyota plant should be PROUD of themselves for designing such an amazing truck. THis is why the tundra is our truck of the year over cehvy, dodge, and ford".

Remember gang, its not always the most horses, but what works well together, like the drive train and the engine, how well does everything mesh together, can the engine keep cool for maximum sustained performance, ect.

Im in my hotel in Paris France, and it is beautiful.

Im off for some socializing at the square!
  • Options
    So, that means that the Tundra outaccelerated the Dodge Ram. That's the only one left from "every other competitor." Don't forget that Dodge also has a V10 available in the Dodge...

Toyota has got quite the marketing department. It seems almost like brainwashing. Hmmmm...
  • Options
    Check out this link for huge discounts (especially the 1/3 off) from Carparts.com:

http://www.homestead.com/therangerstation/Discounts.html

I just ordered a Borla cat-back for $180. Nothing else I've been able to find on the net has been below $250. It should be here by the end of the week. Bye bye, rusty tailpipe. Why can't they use stainless tips??? Hello more hp, torque, and mpg.
  • Options
    superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    Chevy has a 5.9??? Another point, theres a reason trucks have kept the 2 valve heads...........................TORQUE. How much torue on that toyota 4.7?
  • Options
    The arguments in here are pathetic for both sides. Why dont we just forget about facts and pretend like we dont know squat so we can argue some more? Has everyone checked out quadrunner500's article. A Chevy man actually has some complements for the Tundra and I dont believe he had the "bottom of the line" chevy v8.

I have heard it over and over again that it is not HP that is important in a truck but as soon as a Toyota has less HP then things seem to Change.

Dont forget that the Tundra is a brand new vehicle. Would hate to see how rattled the Big 3 guys get after it gets a few years of refinement behind it.

It is very simple. The Tundras HP and Torque numbers are better then the others entry level V8 and closer to their second options then many may want to admit.

Toyota V6 cant compete with other entry level V6? The 3.4 is the entry level v6 and I dont think there is much of a comparison at all to Fords 3.0.
    I am starting to think that not a single word typed on this page is based upon any facts but souly for arguments sake
  • Options
    hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Yes the 396 was a great engine and can understand your point of view. Everytime when I fire up my 421 super duty on my GP I know I am in GM heaven. That Fisher body has held up well over the past 36 years.
  • Options
    hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Having owned those Fords I can say you might get one problem with Toyota and several with Ford.
  • Options
    Ford's base V6 in the F150 is a 4.2L producing 205hp @4950rpm and 255ft/lbs @3700rpm. Mpg seems pretty good too with the thriftiest setup rated at 16/21 city/highway.

Chevy's base V6 is the good 'ol 4.3L producing 200hp @4400rpm and 250ft/lbs @2800rpm. Best mpg is 16/20 city/highway.

Dodge's base V6 is the weak-sister 3.9L Magnum. It's rated at 175hp and 230ft/lbs with a mpg rating of 15/21 city/highway.

The Tundra has the 3.4L V6 rated at 190hp and 220ft/lbs.

I'd say it's a toss-up between the Ford and Chevy for first with the Toyota close behind in 3rd. The Dodge a dismal fourth. My sister had that 3.9L Magnum in a Dakota. What a dog. I'd take just about any V6 from any mfgr before I'd take it. But, these are just my personal opinions.
  • Options
    Sorry, I am getting the compacts debate and fullsize debate mixed up.
  • Options
    No prob.

One more thing, that mpg rating on the Dodge's 3.9L Magnum V6 is off terribly. It SHOULD be around 12 city and 15 highway. People who actually own a 3.9 whether in the Dakota or Ram usually get in that area (my personal experience and the many, many complaints on the net). I don't know what you'd be able to do to get its mpg up to what it's rated at (15/21 city/highway). Their V8, especially the new 4.7L, will produce better power AND economy. All of the others from what I've seen and heard seem to generally reflect their ratings.
  • Options
    reddogsreddogs Member Posts: 353
    Then all your looking for is a work truck, most people buying trucks right now are getting them for personal use. They want style and comfort, with reliabilty and top of the line quality. How do those trucks stack up when they come up against joe consumer who is never going to throw a load of bricks in the bed. Thats where you guys are getting left behind, the market is shifting and all you can think about is how much can them trucks haul. Sorry, Petite Patricia is buying one to drive over to Walmart and pick up a sewing kit, not 2000lbs of sand, and Weak Willie wants a truck for going to the beach and picking up girls, not carrying a stack of logs. You need to relistically measure what truck buyers want in there trucks and Toyota is doing that without worrying how many ft/lbs @whatever rpm the competition is putting in....
  • Options
    Maybe Toyota SHOULD worry about how much hp and torque they put in their trucks as compared to others. People who buy their trucks for "work" aren't the only ones who care.

Don't you have concerns about the power train when you buy a vehicle? If no one did, we'd all be driving around diesel 4-bangers. They'll motivate the truck well enough for the purposes you previously stated and return great efficiency.

In the US, people always want more. They want more room, more hauling, more towing, more horsepower, more torque, more cupholders, more airbags, more power & electronic gadgets, etc...

It really is quite ridiculous. I personally don't fall into this frame of thinking, but most purchasers do.

To really wage a war against the Big 3, Toyota needs to offer a large displacement V8 and make the truck a little larger. If they can keep their prices at an even keel, they'll have the Big 3 by their collective tails.

Toyota almost did this with the Tacoma. It is just so much more expensive and offers little or nothing more for the average buyer. For me it was $3000 more with only the longer warranty being a factor. I can get an ext warranty on my truck for $800.

Magazines can give all of the awards and good reviews that they want. Every manufacturer gets them, especially when a new variant is introduced. They don't make a truck any more or less competitive in its segment.
  • Options
    Cthomp-

The difference you are paying in the 3 grand is Toyota's proven reliability and resale value, not to mention you are getting a superior performer offroad. Lets not forget the Tacoma outperforms the Ranger in every category.........

This was proven by testing data in head to head comparions tests in 4wheeler, Petersons ect.

And please understand that these claims are not subjective , they are hard proof, data as fact.

Fact:

The Toyota compacts have incredible reliability ratings the past ten years

Fact: The tacoma is designed with inherent offroad philosophies

Fact: The Tacoma extrcab v6 outperforms the Ranger 4.0 6 in every performance category

Fact: The Tacoma holds its value much better
  • Options
    Fact: comparison tests are subjective, PERIOD.

Fact: resale value is relative. too many factors to actually consider. (price paid for purchase, trade vs. independent sale, maintenance, etc...) In short, it all depends.

Why are you so concerned about resale value if you're planning on keeping this truck for umpteen billion miles? Oh I get it! You're gonna dump it around 75K miles when engine reliability hits the dumper due to the added stress of a supercharger on an engine that wasn't set up for it.

Fact: the tacoma has better acceleration and skidpad numbers than the ranger.

Fact: handling is subjective. it's all a matter of preference. as if "offroad handling".

Fact: toyota compact p/u's have not been incredibly reliable the past ten years. did you forget about that head gasket problem? what about the bodies that rust out in just a few years?

Look around. you live in the salt belt as i do (the windy city). if you even see an older toyota compact on the road (which in these days is getting rare), it's got holes everywhere in the body due to the incredible amount of rust everywhere.

Fact: the tacoma is designed to be an on-road vehicle first and an off-road vehicle second. it would look a helluva lot different if it wasn't. just take a look in those mags you're so incredibly fond of. where are those monster super-swampers, feet of suspension travel, fire-breathing engines, locking front, center, and rear differentials, etc...??????????
  • Options
    First, I didn't buy a truck for stop-light racing. I've got something else in my garage much, much better suited for that. I bought the truck to tow, haul, and be a comfortable commuter vehicle. Mission accomplished.

Second, I don't buy names. I buy good value. I couldn't care less if the truck said "Twinkie" on the front of it (well, maybe that's a bit extreme, but you get the point).

Third, I have personally found Rangers to be very reliable trucks. I still do. 21K miles, no problems, one recall. Why is it that I should change my mind???

Fourth, the Ranger has much more off-road ability than I ever plan to use. The worse it sees are moderate trails and blizzards. It handles both extremely well.

Soooo, that extra 3 grand gets me absolutely nothing. It seems like a lot of other people feel the same way too.

BTW, how's Europe? If you go to Deutschland, make sure to down a few steins. I've heard that a stein, which contains about 3 cans of beer, has the acholic content equivalent to 10 US cans of beer. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Your note to Spoog is pretty good except I can't agree with one point. Handling isn't subjective and can be measured many ways. I don't see many arguing that a Pinto handles as good as a Porshe because the performance can easily be measured.
  • Options
    I guess if I spelled Porsche correctly I may make a better point.
  • Options
    modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    offroad philosophies. I honestly believe Toyotas are good vehicles. My question is; If Toy has "inherent philosophies" concerning offroad designs then why does the Tacoma have an independent front suspension and the Land Cruiser uses a solid front axle? They can't make up their mind which "philosophy" is better for offroad? Just wondering.
This discussion has been closed.