Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

A/C takes longer to blow cold air

madison103madison103 Behind the wheel. :)Posts: 1
edited September 2017 in Toyota
My A/C has been working great since I bought it new. Last month I noticed that it was taking much longer to blow cold air. In the past, I could feel cold air within a minute. Now it takes 5 or more minutes before it starts to blow cold air. But once it starts, it gets super cold like always. I often switch the inside air circulation off until the cabin temp gets lower. I've cleaned the coils and the freon is fine. I'm not an experienced mechanic but for a 20 year old girl, I can do all my own maintenance and most all minor to moderate car repairs. Here is what I've observed. This only happens when I start the car after the engine has completely cooled down. If it's warmed up, the A/C blows cold right away. For the past few mornings, I've raised the hood to see if I noticed anything since it only malfunctions when the engine is cold. It seems the A/C doesn't blow cold until the electric fans kick on for the coolant system. Could there be a correlation between these two? If not, what would you suggest?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Oregon CoastPosts: 1,712
    Didn't see a mention of a year, but it sounds as though the blend door actuator is "getting lazy".
    That's a technical tern, by the way.
    But, to be sure, you would first need to have the A/C charge checked. It is possible that over time, freon has leaked out a little (they do that).
    If the pressures are low on the A/C, then it could need to be charged.
    And please don't buy those DIY kits, they can do as much harm as help.