Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Monthly Update for August 2017 - 2017 Honda Clarity Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited September 2017 in Honda
imageMonthly Update for August 2017 - 2017 Honda Clarity Long-Term Road Test

We added another 1,000 miles to the odometer on our Honda Clarity in August though it remained close to home nearly the entire month.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Well, since the Clarity's only competition is the Mirai, I would guess there is no great urgency to fix the styling.

Also, when refueling, by the time you were filled up and out of there, it was what - like a half-hour - ? And this is a best-case scenario due to the dearth of fuel-cell cars - ?

Yes, an EV takes even longer than that to "fill," but since I can do that at home, every time I would leave the house, my EV is "full."
  • Its simple to me. If you cannot get the cost of fuel cells (even in mass production) to be less than gasoline, you have no hope of it being a tech. My understanding is that it is the equivalent to $4 per gallon gas, so it's little more than prototype in my mind.
  • gslippygslippy Posts: 514
    67 mpkg, $16/kg = $0.24/mile. With $3 gasoline, that works out to 12.5 mpg, or similar operating costs to a Dodge Challenger Hellcat.

I agree with Jay's comments completely. When you build science projects like the Clarity, they'll never take off, so what's the point?

To Ed's comment "I guess that's what happens when you're an early adopter of a new technology." I say, no that's what happens when there is no infrastructure. Here in the Pittsburgh PA region, the closest H2 station is 369 miles away.
  • We have had the Honda Clarity for nearly 5 months. We taken a trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles. We were lucky to fill up with no issues. We averaged 50 plus miles going 75++ mph on highway 5 and up the grapevine.
    We were very pleased with the ride. I heard Honda has stopped production of the vehicle due to a software problem.
    I wish honda would notify the individuals that already have leased the vehicle. I hope the car will not have any issue driving the vehicle down the road. Explode or malfunction in anyway.