Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued VIII

Comments

• Options
    gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    When I ordered my new truck about 3 weeks ago the dealer insulted me with his trade in price (I kind of expected it - I am able to take advantage of the GMO price - so he didn't make much money off of my order - he wanted to make some on my trade). So I went to a wholesaler who had bought a previous car from me. He offered me $1100 more than the dealer for my '96 xtd cab 2 wd, but he also told me it would be worth another $500 to $600 if I had the 3rd door. That is over $100 more than the option would have cost me when the truck was new. I didn't care about it when I bought because for my use GM put it on the wrong side of the truck. I'm very ready for the 4th door though.
  • Options
    dmr3dmr3 Member Posts: 119
    gnipper wrote:went to a wholesaler who had bought a previous car from me.
    ----------------
    can you tell me where you would go to a wholesaler? We still have an older Suburban to find a home for.Do they only deal in newer cars/trucks? Thanks.
  • Options
    joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    That is the point I was trying to make. The door option itself (whether its 3rd or 4th) should hold its original value (+/- $100), but having more or less doors shouldn't appreciate or depreciate the vehicle either way.

If there were two identical trucks side by side that I had to choose from, except one had 3 doors and the other had 4, I'd take the one with 4. BUT, if the 3 door was my color with a 5.3L, and the 4 door was not my color with a 4.8L, then I'd take the 3 door. I think its one of those "nice to have" options, but really no big deal.

Here I go again... Ok I'll stop this time for sure...
  • Options
    sf6sf6 Member Posts: 11
    If you consider the demographics of expected buyers, when four doors hit the market, three door value will drop like a pancake. This was experienced by Ford, when the F-150's only had three doors and offered four later. Dealers are really trying to move their 3 doors out. They can see the handwriting on the wall.
  • Options
    If you consider the demographics of expected buyers, when four doors hit the market, three door value will drop like a pancake. This was experienced by Ford, when the F-150's only had three doors and offered four later. Dealers are really trying to move their 3 doors out. They can see the handwriting on the wall.
  • Options
    I would like to add some steps to my 00 Silverado Ext-4x4. Does anyone know if Chev offers them (in black not chrome), and what I could expect to pay, including installation.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    What i meant by the 3 door being obsolete was that if a 4 dr is available what would you choose a 3 dr or 4 dr? The majority will choose the 4 dr thus making the 3dr trucks less in value. I would personally like a 3 dr because i dont have much use for a 4th door but since i cant get a 3 dr ill have to go with a 4 dr which is no problem. I think my new name should be controversy starter. Sorry i didnt mean it in a bad way but as how the majority of the population does.

Demand is for 4 dr trucks so it pushes price down for 3 dr trucks so they can be sold.

Ryan

Oh bob i wont rub anything in its no big deal i wont have it for another few months so whats the good of it.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    ....don't make any difference. If the truck is in good running condition, looks nice, etc.

Used car and truck buyers are not so fickle, or trendy when what they want is something that has been non-abused, and reliable.

4 doors have not obsoleted 3, but if you think they have, you should rush out for one of those crew cabs with the 5 foot bed, like F150 Supercrew, Lincoln Blackwood, Nissan Frontier, Chevy Avalanche etc.
  • Options
    Cant yet they arent out

Ryan
  • Options
    Not even the Nissan?

Sure you're not babbling? (LOL!)

I guess I was...
  • Options
    Im talking about the avalanche (debut next spring) or ford explorer sport trac havent seen one yet even though they are supposed to be out. Im not in into the foreign market so i kinda skip those and dont count them in.

Ryan

Here we go again controversy
  • Options
    Ford f-150 supercrew havent seen one of those either. Hmmmm and lincoln hmmm where those disappear to?

Ryan
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    type in westin automotive in your serch engine and go from there, if you buy OEM GM Side Steps get out your wallet, it's like buying a Harley Davidson, you pay a lot for the name.
    There are many other choices far cheaper on side steps, now for the Harley there is only one!

I picked up my Westin Nerf bars, black finish for 199.95 from the search I did on the net typing in above name.
    Also got the Borla Cat Back System thru Summit Racing who also carries different brands of nerf bars.

Ray T.
  • Options
    gsxr1216gsxr1216 Member Posts: 62
    Dodge was the first to sell 4 doors, if everyone wanted that 4th door so bad why has Chevy sold so many three doors since the 4 door dodges have been out. Any full size ext. exactly what you want and a three door does i bet 9 out of 10 people take the three door and are very happy. I am very happy with my 3 door, as far as i am concerned the fourth door is just another place for rattles and wind noise and more cab flex, i do not think that having to get in and out from one side bothers most people.
    Just my take, so take it or leave it.
  • Options
    rbrickrbrick Member Posts: 32
    Epaminondas/rcoos

My truck was built 21FEB and I received it on 1MAR. 10 days or so for me.
  • Options
    rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    I have to agree with babble from chicago! I also think that most people would like the four door over the three door given the choice, of course $$$ will be very important!

Hey ryanbabble, in my area there are a lot of Ford Crewcab F-150 pickups on the car lots. I have'n seen a Lincoln yet!

#173 rbrick,

You must live close to the factories back east?
    rcoos
  • Options
    richardm6richardm6 Member Posts: 45
    Ryanbab
    I saw a both at our mall in Denton Tx Sat.Also have a friend that sales Ford she told me they have them in stock.WISH Chevy would move that fast.Tired of seeing so many Ford Superdutys.
  • Options
    wang2wang2 Member Posts: 29
    ...the door (pun INtended) on the 3 or 4 door issue! While ya'll been waiting for that extra door, I've been enjoying my truck, so, whatever.

Tonkadave - the antenna cable fixed your reception up? cool! glad they didn't have to go fishing for a floating ground.

Bryan
    (cooler than Ryan, 'cause I've got a 'B' in front of Ryan - 'B'ryan) WooHoo!
  • Options
    swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    Was a little worried, but have about 1" clearance in the tightest spot. Man they look nice. Should get a little better gas mileage with the taller tire. Hopefully the dealer can reprogram the speedo for me. Definately worth the money in my opinion.

I waited for a 4 door, but don't think it will hurt resale very much. Maybe a couple hundred bucks? Probably won't see anymore 3 doors being made though (except the small trucks)...
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I wish the 3rd door was on the drivers....but I haven't died yet from it not being there.

I would prefer a 3 door on drivers over a 4 door...due to less wind noise and more rigid of a cab....but next truck will be a 4 door...if I like it or not..

- Tim
  • Options
    I havent seen many super crews cause theres only like 1 ford dealer around here and if they have them they are in the showroom which cant be seen from the road or in back none in the front. Im sure they are there just havent seen one other than for the autoshow. Oh well who cares

Everyones getting into this ryan thing huh? Hope you all enjoy yourselfs

Ryan
  • Options
    It's all fun and games....I mean...we are only serious here...

I seen a Ford Crew Cab 5 foot box at a dealer last week out front.....looks kinda goofy...but I'm sure they will sell no problem!

- Tim
  • Options
    huntman99huntman99 Member Posts: 7
    Recieved a call today from my salesman that my 2000 GMC Sierra 4dr 4x4 SLT 5.3L locking diff, ect, is now in transort, it is expected from 2 days to two weeks to arrive; my 99 3 dr arrived in five days and before the invoice did. It cost me tax and everything about 25cents/ mile to trade down 20K miles. I would like to know about any rebates that may be available, I was hopeing GM would extend the owner loyalty rebate but they didn't. There is a $500 rebate on Silverado 3dr but that won't do me any good, I guess they are afraid the 3 dr trucks would be hard to sell but my dealer has several men interested in my Fire Red one. I am going to change the tires out this time, I ordered the base tires instead of the $340 mistake I did last time, with 20K miles they might make thirty if they are lucky, terrible for a Firestone premium tire. I am going to upgrade the size to 265 or (285s if I can and I am brave enough), any thoughts about the reprogramming the speedo and having to deal with a 245 spare. SWO Big, what kind of tires did you put on and any regrets, thanks alot.

Huntman
  • Options
    revitupfastrevitupfast Member Posts: 38
    Well all I can say about this is that I'm glad I'm still a traditional regular cab man, and I only have to worry about 2 doors. What do you think Vince4 / Mike L

Bill.......Revitupfast
  • Options
    Kyle,
    If you measure your fuel mileage from the odometer readings of the new tires, you're going to measure fewer mpg, but not actually achieve any fewer, just do to the miscalibration.
  • Options
    mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    If you get your speedo recalibrated to the 305s, you will probably find that your gas mileage is better than it was with the 285s.
  • Options
    we should make a list of things to discuss.....and keep going from top to bottom over and over??

Dohh...

We are already doing it!!

Keeps us busy I guess?

- Tim
  • Options
    1.Fender flares (MY ALL TIME FAV)
    2. Two tone paint being withheld from lt model
    3. Tire sizes
    4. 3/4 door talk
    5. mpg
    6. ME ORDERING MY TRUCK (forgot about this thats why its towards the bottom)
    7. Accessories
    8. gotta throw in the tundra nonsense
    9. Problems with trucks (vibrations etc....)
    10. Everything else i forgot

Ryan

TOMORROW IS THE DAY GUYS!!!
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Does anyone know GM's plans for the light duty 2500 trucks? Since the new HD 2500 and 3000s will be available will GM continue the smaller Silverado sized trucks or not?

F**d dropped the smaller sized 3/4 tons after the larger SD 3/4 was established. It seems unlikely that GM will make two different sized 3/4 tons trucks.

Any ideas????

Mike L
  • Options
    DON'T FORGET THE OIL TOPIC!
  • Options
    87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    I've got kids ages 4 and 2. Lack of a fourth door would have been a deal killer for me. Dealt with the same issue when we bought my wife's minivan and got the 4 door. Until my truck is delivered I'm driving a borrowed Bronco II and it just confirms my decision. Crawling into the back seat to buckle up car seats just doesn't cut it
  • Options
    The point was about what 4 door would do to the 3 door used truck resale market. The answer is nothing.
  • Options
    mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    Have fun tomorrow! It will be a good feeling, I'm sure! Even with the several small issues I've had with my truck, I have no regrets. I'd do it all over again. The Silverado is an incredible truck. But I guess I'm preaching to the choir here. :)

My wife was giving me funny looks the other day, because we were listening to that Silver Thunderbird song, and I was trying to figure out a way to change the lyrics to Silverado. The only thing I came up with is ..

"You can keep your Eldorado
    and a foreign car's absurd.
    If there's a God in heaven
    he drives a Silverado, sir."

Any suggestions? (yet another topic to discuss...)

Mark
  • Options
    I have Cooper's by the way. The way I figured it the taller LT285 75R16's that I have actually travel a little further per engine revolution than the P265 75R16's that I had on. Of course there's more drag, but once the speedo is corrected you should gain mileage. I thought it would in effect lower my axle ratio from the 3.73 that I have netting a little better economy. Is this wrong?? If you know any different please explain. I did notice some difference in handeling, but still drives ok...
  • Options
    the dealer could not recalibrate the speedo. Bummer... Have to buy a hypertech. Hopefully that will do it...
  • Options
    anyone know if they make one for a Y2K Silverado and where to buy? Thanks...
  • Options
    scottayscottay Member Posts: 91
    will be released soon. Not out yet. You can order them tho.
  • Options
    yybbuttssyybbuttss Member Posts: 5
    I purchased my 2K 1500 Z71 5.3 autotrac on 2/15 and it now has approx 1100 miles.

I've noticed on 2 or 3 occasions that when I pull up to a red light, something in the transmission seems to disengage. Then when I take off at the green light, the transmission slips for 3/4 of a second before re-engaging.

I haven't talked to the dealer yet, just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this.

Minnick
  • Options
    Mark i am sure i will have fun tomorrow. In case anyone out there doesnt know i am going to order a truck tomorrow (haha i know u all know i just wanted to repeat myself for the 1000th time). THe only thing i wont enjoy is spending the money (deposit and not really gettting anything in return) but im sure its well worth it.

Ryan
  • Options
    I drove behind a few 2 tone trucks today and the i notcied the tailgate for the first time and yes it would look better with it painted. How come the 2tone blazers/jimmys that are 2tone have the bottom of the backend painted? Oh well

Ryan
  • Options
    I heard all the dealers in Wisconsin and surrounding states will be closed this Saturady.

Bummer eh?

- Tim
  • Options
    yea tim i heard this also. But i am getting the red carpet treatment and opening it up special for me. Im a lucky guy huh? Wisconsin haha a bunch of cheeseheads what is it make your own cheese day?

Ryan
  • Options
    ...it's not a bad place. Better than West Virgina (my opinion). Ordered a Hypertech and it should be here next Friday. It also does a lot more than change tire size (speedo cal.). Was expensive, but oh well. After searching though 10 different places, finally the last one was able to order it...
  • Options
    rbrickrbrick Member Posts: 32
    My truck was built at the Pontiac West (or was it east?) plant. I live in between Baltimore and D.C. Not exactly close, but closer than the west coast I guess.
  • Options
    gas15gas15 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 2000 silverado, 5.3 extended cab short bed, with 2500 miles on it. The gas mileage varies between 12 and 15 mpg (no cargo, 2 passengers) with 70% highway and 30% city driving. The dealer swears that his roadtests show the truck gets 20 mpg, and chevy refuses to do anything. My wife took it for a few tankfulls, and did no better dispite her cautious driving. Any ideas? (I told the dealer I couldn't get 20 mpg if I pushed it off a cliff, which remains a possibility.) GAS 15
  • Options
    dropperdropper Member Posts: 47
    Unfortunately, 12-15 MPG is not abnormal for this truck. It even says so on the sticker. i have been getting 14 to 15 on my first several tanks. I hope it improves with a little more break in (Over 5K Miles), but not expecting much. A tonneau cover may help out, also, try a different brand of gasoline.

Keith
  • Options
    rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    I just finalized the paperwork on my Silverado today!!! I saw it in the back lot. MAN, what a GREAT site!!!

I will pick up my Silverado tommorrow! I can hardly wait!

By the way, I live in the BEST STATE IN THE UNION! The fastest growing city & state. #1- Las Vegas, Nevada!!!
    rcoos
  • Options
    crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    My 2000 silverado 5.3 2X4 regularly does 18 mpg combined city / freeway driving.

A recent trip to and from san diego with my car trailer in tow gave me an average of 14.5 to 15 mpg with a car on the trailer. And I don't drive 55 ..... hee hee.
  • Options
    I started another controvesy about the cheesehead thing my bad.

I was wondering guys if i buy a tundra if they will throw an echo (aka gokart) in the back for free????? Itll fit perfect. Im gonna have to research this. Might be ordering a tundra tomorrow instead.

Ryan

Ill let u know what i decided on for sure tomorrow
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with Wisconsin....it's next to Michigan and it's also where Miller comes from.
    Miller also is who bought out Atwater Block Brewing Company....aka Krausen Dunkel.

mmmmmm mmmmmmmm gooood!

....Babs...once it's ordered....how many times do we have to hear about it coming in??

LOL

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.