Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Best Winter Tires for 2013 Toyota Rav4 Limited AWD

idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
edited October 2017 in Toyota
I am in search of the best winter tire for my Rav4. As in the title, it is a 2013 Limited AWD. Tire size is 235-55-R18, I have General Altimax RT43s on it now, but they were lousy in the snow last winter. I want to get a dedicated snow/ice winter tire that I will swap out on my stock rims. I looked at getting a second set of rims as well, but I just don't see the point in paying that much. Yes, I will have to pay for the mounting and balancing each time I switch but that will pale in comparison to the $400 upfront for the rims.

I live on a mountain top, which is in the corporate limits of town, with a paved two lane city street, however it is incredibly steep and I slid down it sideways last winter. The going up the mountain is not as big of an issue as going down. The Rav4 WILL NOT hold back, whatsoever, no matter what gear you put it in. It freewheels all the way up to 25mph in 1st gear. And unfortunately, Toyota didn't see it necessary to put a downhill assist control on these heaps. Once I do reach the bottom, I have a 25 mile commute via the absolutely terrible I-81 corridor in the beautiful New River Valley of Southwest Virginia. On the very same day I slid down the mountain, I was blown out of my lane and into a snowbank by a passing tractor trailer.

As you can tell, I am HIGHLY disappointed in the performance of the Rav4 in the snow, period. I cannot afford to trade the thing right now because I'm upside down in the loan, so I must make the best of a crappy situation. I just want to get through this winter and possibly next until I can get rid of this thing and get a decent AWD vehicle, like a Subaru Forester, with X-Mode.

One of my bigger concerns is, that I haven't read hardly any complaints by Rav4 owners of poor driving in winter weather. So, aside from the downhill free-wheeling issue, I think it's just a tire problem. I'm sincerely hoping a new set of good winter rubber will solve the issue. I have other qualms with the vehicle itself, but I'll save this post for issues related to my inquiry.

Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated!

IDNTNVU

Comments

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Bridgestone Blizzak are among the best.
  • Options
    idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    The Blizzak is definitely in the running. I'm curious if there are any others that are even worth considering.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Did you check tires for it on the Tire Rack owners survey results?
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    For studless winter tires I would agree with Blizzaks. I have also used Toyo's which I thought were pretty good. I 'think' most of the studless may have softer winter tread only halfway through so longevity with grip? Also they may wear pretty quick on bare pavement so timing getting them on and off for season may be important.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    My two cents...Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    Why would anybody complain about the vehicle if what you describe sounds like tire issue?

400$ up front or 100$ per dismounting/remounting.
    Do not forget that each operation will require rebalance.

Bridgestone Blizzaks, Nokian Hakkapeliitta, Michelin X-Ice are safe bets.

Krzys
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    krzyss said:

Why would anybody complain about the vehicle if what you describe sounds like tire issue?

400$ up front or 100$ per dismounting/remounting.
    Do not forget that each operation will require rebalance.

Bridgestone Blizzaks, Nokian Hakkapeliitta, Michelin X-Ice are safe bets.

Krzys

Or perhaps better to buy inexpensive wheels for winter and not have the extra expense every spring and fall (plus wear and tear on bead)
  • Options
    rickdonrickdon Member Posts: 123
    Had a set of NT90W's. These nitto tires performed well in the snow though mileage wasn't the best. I will try the Michelin X-Ice next time since I heard good things about it.