Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

help with trouble code , "Cylinder select error-MEM-CAL or ECM problem"

hicky69hicky69 Member Posts: 2
edited November 2017 in Buick
Hello I cant remember the correct # for this trouble code in the Haynes manual for my moms 92 buick lasabre. This is the only code the check engine/serv eng light shows. So I replaced the ECM Yes I disconnected the neg battery terminal and made sure the ECM numbers were the same on the New ECM After install hooked Battery up turned key to on and the same trouble code immediatly lit up. So I am at a loss as to what to do next dont know exactly what cylinder select error or Mem-Cal errors are the repair manual doesnt give much if any description on them or how to go about fixing them. The vehicles Registration is due for renewal at the end of the month and cant renew it if the light is still showing an error code. so any and all help apreciated Thank you

Answers

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Did you replace the computer with new or used? If new did you remove the memcal from the old computer and install it into the new one? Was the code that was setting "51" ? Or, was it "41" and you looked the code up online?
  • Options
    hicky69hicky69 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response. We bought the replacement ECM at Autozone. So am assuming it was new And no we didn't remove the memcal from the orignal ECM. The replacement one did come with its own memcal chip in it. As for the code number am pretty sure it was 51 She has the Haynes repair manual at her house but do remember it was the number that had the cylinder select select error at the begining of the error codes description
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    I would not expect a replacement ECM to come with a MEMCAL, and even if one did I would have to check the broadcast ID number against the original to be certain that it was correct for the car that it was being installed into. The 92 Buick Lesabre does not show a cylinder select error code description. Chevrolet has that code description but this Buick does not. The only thing it shows for code 51 is to check all of the pins for fit and make sure that non of them are bent and of they are OK then replace the MEMCAL. If that doesn't fix it then they want you to replace the ECM. The only thing that I would add is to test all of the powers and grounds while loaded.