Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Monthly Update for October 2017 - 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2017 in Chevrolet
imageMonthly Update for October 2017 - 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Long-Term Road Test

Our 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV set a new record range for the month of October.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    willin58willin58 Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2017
    Ahem... "Life moves pretty fast"...
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    I tested the Bolt a week ago, and found the shifter was located in the middle of my forearm, requiring me to thrust my elbow toward the back seat occupants just to grasp it. I don't understand the weird location, and the button logic on it was very non-intuitive. The seats - which I had already read complaints about - were not great, but not terrible for a quick spin around the block.
    Overall, it was a nice car, and I'd consider getting an LT trim.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    322 miles is unbelievably impressive. That is just about a full tank of gas for our Pilot. LOL, I couldn't imagine driving through $50+ in gas in a single day (unless travelling). Either way, very impressive. I'm hoping you guys keep the Bolt for awhile. I'd like to see some analysis on battery degradation over time. Of course, miles don't seem to hurt battery life as much as time does.
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    I agree that the long-haul battery life question is technically interesting, although I'd argue that EVs are for leasing, not buying. Why? In three years something more compelling will come out, and you'll want it because the range or the charging time will be that much better. You'll need to sell your current ride, and it'll be worth nothing because nobody else will want it either. Exhibit A; the first-gen Volt and Leaf.

Exhibit B is the Fiat 500e I leased for my daughter ($49 per month - how can you not?). It's great as a 2-seat college car - zippy, fun to drive, easy to park - and in 18 months the range hasn't dropped at all. It still regularly predicts over 100 miles after a full recharge. (Note: rated range is 83 miles.) But the three-year lease seems like an interminable wait as we see newer/better stuff hit the road. I'm glad I don't have to deal with the prospect of selling it 18 months from now, at which point it will seem like a dinosaur.

This will be the reality for several more years as an influx of new ideas and products raises the state of the EV art. The "buy it and keep it for a long time" arguement is much more relevant when it comes to mature technologies like gasoline and diesel models, and even hybrids. But the plug-in arena is one big technological churn. Exhibit C: the Model 3 hasn't even come out yet and I'm already over it and anticipating what will come after it from an experienced premium automaker.

Spolier alert: I've already beaten 322 miles. It's repeatable. Stay tuned for the next update.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test