Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2018 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,112
edited January 2018 in Ford

image2018 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

We're adding a 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4WD with the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 engine and 10-speed transmission to our long-term test fleet.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Has Edmunds ever had a truck with a bed longer than 5.5' in its long term fleet? I have owned lots of trucks over the years and have never had a short bed. It just seems that at some point y'all should have a full sized bed on a truck. It definitely will change the parking lot impressions.
  • emajoremajor Posts: 332
    "We paid full sticker price because this was a custom order"

And thus did Ford rejoice exceedingly. You probably gave them well over 5 figures in profit buying from a class of vehicle in which nearly 5 figures of discounts are baked into every one sitting on a dealer lot.

With those off pavement pics and the intentional selection of the FX4 package, I'm hoping to see an off road comparison between this, the ZR2, and the re-shocked Tacoma.
  • actualsizeactualsize Santa Ana, CaliforniaPosts: 451
    sneddren said:

Has Edmunds ever had a truck with a bed longer than 5.5' in its long term fleet? I have owned lots of trucks over the years and have never had a short bed. It just seems that at some point y'all should have a full sized bed on a truck. It definitely will change the parking lot impressions.

I get it, believe me. I miss the crew cab dually I had when I lived in Az. Our thinking goes like this: 1) We assume nearly anyone can imagine what a 6.5-foot bed can do that a 5-foot bed cannot. 2) crew cab + 5.5-foot bed is the most common configuration sold. 3) subtle differences in 5-foot beds (or cargo management options) may be useful information for buyers who won't pair a 6.5-foot bed with a crew cab -- and that's most of them. 4) even if 2) and 3) were not true, we can't afford to pair a 6.5-foot bed with a crew cab because the extra wheelbase is simply something we cannot easily cope with. Our offices are in a dense part of town with miniature public parking space and parking aisle dimensions; at work we have to park in an underground garage; some of our editors have to park curbside in narrow neighborhoods. It just won't work.

It's crew/short for us, and we figure that 5) the degree with which we struggle with a 5-foot bed (or don't) will help those who aren't sure which bed to buy. I don't think the reverse would be as true if we bought the 6.5-foot bed and always had an easy time of it.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• sneddren said:

Has Edmunds ever had a truck with a bed longer than 5.5' in its long term fleet? I have owned lots of trucks over the years and have never had a short bed. It just seems that at some point y'all should have a full sized bed on a truck. It definitely will change the parking lot impressions.

I get it, believe me. I miss the crew cab dually I had when I lived in Az. Our thinking goes like this: 1) We assume nearly anyone can imagine what a 6.5-foot bed can do that a 5-foot bed cannot. 2) crew cab + 5.5-foot bed is the most common configuration sold. 3) subtle differences in 5-foot beds (or cargo management options) may be useful information for buyers who won't pair a 6.5-foot bed with a crew cab -- and that's most of them. 4) even if 2) and 3) were not true, we can't afford to pair a 6.5-foot bed with a crew cab because the extra wheelbase is simply something we cannot easily cope with. Our offices are in a dense part of town with miniature public parking space and parking aisle dimensions; at work we have to park in an underground garage; some of our editors have to park curbside in narrow neighborhoods. It just won't work.

It's crew/short for us, and we figure that 5) the degree with which we struggle with a 5-foot bed (or don't) will help those who aren't sure which bed to buy. I don't think the reverse would be as true if we bought the 6.5-foot bed and always had an easy time of it.

I was prepared to not want to hear an answer but this actually makes sense. It's why I bought a VW Rabbit for in town use and a full size pickup for hunting and hauling. Thanks for the context. I guess it also explains why there's never been one of those ridiculously long extended SUVs in the long term fleet.
  • actualsizeactualsize Santa Ana, CaliforniaPosts: 451
    emajor said:

"We paid full sticker price because this was a custom order"

And thus did Ford rejoice exceedingly. You probably gave them well over 5 figures in profit buying from a class of vehicle in which nearly 5 figures of discounts are baked into every one sitting on a dealer lot.

I got my wires crossed. We didn't pay full fare. I confused this with another vehicle. We paid $54,129, which included a $750 rebate and a discount of nearly $3,000 from Galpin Ford.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• It's February 15 and still no update since the introduction? I was hoping this long-term test would help me decide whether to order my 2018 F150 with the 2.7 or 3.5 engine.