Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Faulty Anti Theft Alarm

sunnyjisunnyji Member Posts: 4
edited January 2018 in Chevrolet
New to posting. Bought a 2012 Traverse a month ago. Really like it but yesterday I programed a newly installed garage door to the installed vehicle remote. All went well. But today I noticed interior/exterior lights being on when walking out to the can before I deactivates the alarm with the car remote. Did not think much about it. Got home, put the car in the garage and set the alarm (2 clicks and a beep). 5 minutes later the alarm started honking (WTH?) I had the keys in my pocket, thought my wife was pulling my chain with the other set of keys/remote. Nope not her so I sat next to the car with both sets of keys and remotes activated the theft alarm and 15 minutes it went off. OK, so I thought I mucked it up when I programed the Remote for the garage door. Deprogrammed it but the same thing happened 45 minutes (honk, honk blink blink. So I went old school and disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes. Reconnected it, Activated the alarm and in 30 minutes HONK HONK HONK HONK/ BLINK BLINK BLINK.
Any Ideas?

Answers

• sunnyjisunnyji Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the comments. Since my last post, I took my 2012 Traverse to the dealership. They had it for a day and a half and could not get the car to duplicate the problem. So I took it home and for 24 hours it had no issues until almost midnight the next night. Heard a rumble like a semi tractor rolling near the house. Alarm going off, deactivated it with remote then activated it with only one push on the remote. 15 minutes later the alarm went off honking etc. So I turned alarm off , went out to the garage to assure all was well but did NOT turn the alarm back on. The next morning I started up the car and noticed "Check engine light" lamp was lit. Drove the car lamp went out. I have a newly installed garage door opener and did notice the antenna is about 18 inches above the car and has a rolling freq code. Is this my problem? Don't know for sure but doing an experiment. Put car in garage, unplugged garage door opener and activated car anti theft alarm. So far 5 hours have gone by and no false alarms. Hmmm, just thinking. Will leave it like this until tomorrow. Will post results of experiment to see if it rules out the garage door opener.
    OK, slow on update. Alarm has been activated anti theft alarm. For days: No false alarms of any kind. No blinking lights, no horn going off, no radio going on and off. The car just sits in the garage just like it suppose to. So tomorrow I'm going to reactivate (plug in) the garage door opener but not activate the anti theft alarm. We will see what happens. By the way I have named the Traverse "Christine" for her nasty ways. lol
    So now with the garage door opener plugged in and the car parked inside without the anti theft system activated, all is good. Lesson learned. Don't activate car anti theft system while ar is in garage. All is good.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I see some diagnosing to do.
    How is the battery? I wonder if the battery is marginal on life and is setting off the computer that controls the alarm.
    Batteries low on voltage can cause several symptoms in cars. The places like Walmart and Autozone use a device that applies a small drain and measures the battery voltage as a way of determining how well the battery is doing.

A second test is to lock the car with the key in the door which does NOT activate the anti-theft alarm. Try that with the garage door apparatus activated to see if the car will do strange things. Because you said the alarms went off even after locking the car with one push on the remote which does NOT set the alarm, it's be interesting to see if it goes off when not activated.

Does the car do this parked away from your home such as at work for 8 hours? The time a battery drains slowly after the car's being run and the alternator charging the battery is what lowers the voltage. The car has a small drain which is normal; a weak battery might be dropping voltage too low for certain computers but still stay above the 9.5 or whatever it is to be able to crank the vehicle for a start.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,