Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Battery dies in 48 hrs.

tkoopmeinerstkoopmeiners Member Posts: 2
edited January 2018 in GMC
Ok gmc owners here’s one for you. I am second owner of a 2006 gmc envoy. I had three new batteries in 2017. If I don’t run the car every 36-48 hours tops my battery is DEAD. I had my car in a parking garage in Nov for 5 days and to ensure that I would be able to start my car I disconnected the battery. At least I knew there was no drain happening. My mechanic in Reno said there is a trickle leak happening but I was leaving the next day on a trip so all I could do was have it checked later. A mechanic here took my car to an electrical guy and he said the car was great and problem seemed like it had to be coming from the DVD player. I don’t watch dvds In The back seat and I have only heard the thing running one time and then made sure it was switched off. Has anyone else had this problem? I hope to find a solution until I can get rid of this thing. Give me a truck and not all this computer stuff.

Answers

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Well, three batteries in a year is not normal for sure. But were the batteries shot, or just draining? If there's a parasitic drain that running the battery down, that's one thing. But the battery should be able to be recharged and hold a charge.
    If the electrical guy had the gremlin cornered in the DVD player, have you tried disconnecting the DVD player to see if it eliminates the problem? Also, are you getting a good voltage out of the alternator?
    Electrical gremilns are tricky.
  • ralphayyyralphayyy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 envoy denali with the v8. Been having an issue with battery being week after laying for a day or 2. I noticed noise coming from the microphone spk thats located  on the drivers side . (To left side ear level) seems to be draining battery and can hear distortion coming out of it which is odd cause its a mic not a speaker...doesnt matter if car ,radio and ignition are off or on, still happens. Has anyone else had this problem....?