Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit v. Hyundai Accent

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,911
    I think you hit the big strengths of the Fit--packaging, handling, manual shifter, fit/finish. As for equipment level... I have to disagree with you on that one. But maybe the competition is packaged differently up there. I just know that if I get a Fit I will miss features that I have come to know and love on cars that cost a lot less than the Fit, e.g. 8-way adjustable driver's seats, comfy armrests for both arms, variable intermittant wipers, heated mirrors, dead pedal, auto on/off headlights, retained power, one-touch down driver's window, sunglasses holder in the roof, traction control, moonroof, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, side moldings etc. So I am hoping the wonderful driving experience will overcome all that.
  • If you are ready to dismiss considering a Hyundai Accent after reading C/D's comparison test, this review is a must read:
    http://info.detnews.com/autosconsumer/autoreviews/index.cfm?id=22470

I remember they used to be quite critial about vehicles coming out of Korea, so I was a little surprised when they actually bought one for themselves.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    1) No one in the subcompact class (assuming with budget constraints) adds leather, GPS, etc. Even as high as midsize class, these options are only purchased by a small percentage because they do cost a significant amount.

2) Obviously you have not test driven one Hyundai so stop talking BS, please. At the very least, to be fair, invite yourself to a test drive of the SE when they come out, compare to the Fit Sport, and then make an objective judgement base on various categories. I wonder if you would ever give some merits to the Accent (or Hyundai, for that matter), instead of bashing and use non-facts. Hyundai has not even released the hatchback version of the Accent (which probably is the sportiest in the class), and looks like you are already writing it off and scored one for the SUPERIOR (in your mind) Fit.
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    I will definitely take a 3rd look. Haven't given up on the Fit yet! :P
    Listen to people go on in various forums about their new cars. They like the leather, the GPS the powered toe massagers, and the electric fondue set in the back...

Correct, I'm realistic about entry level cars so I only ask from the Fit what I was spoiled with the Hyundai Accent. Side armrest, locking gas cap, variable intermittent wipers, adjustable lower lumbar support, seat height adjuster, map light and all the features that will make my drive/commute experience better.

Handling is always nice but would you take the best handling car that has no A/C, radio or power windows? I'm sure after a while you will yearn for those things. Don't give me aftermarket stuff, that is just unrealistic and inconvenient.
    You make it sound like it's a crime to want to be comfortable driving in a car. Call me weird, but I like having a comfortable driving position and a ride that smooths out the rough, pot-holed streets where I live. Not everyone needs a car that tracks like a go-cart. Why is that kind of handling needed for a car that will live its life driving around suburbia or on (mostly urban) interstates? As long as the handling is safe and secure, that's sufficient for me. And the Accent's handling is in no way "wallowing." I drove it on some twisty roads and it handles just fine, not like any Buick I have ever driven. The ride is compliant without being floaty. No, I won't feel every little bump like I would in a Honda (e.g. Accord), but I won't miss that. I am curious to see how Hyundai has tuned the handling of the Accent SE, and whether they have been able to sharpen the handling without making it too harsh, e.g. along the lines of the Mazda3 or Focus.

As for the mechanicals "stinking", I didn't get that impression from the automatic Accent GLS I drove. The mechanicals worked just fine, including the smooth-shifting and quiet automatic. If a great stick is #1 priority, the Accent GLS is not a good choice. But I will wager that is not #1 priority for the vast majority of car buyers.
  • I was wondering if anybody had a better time frame on when the new Accent is coming? I hear spring 06 but that doesn't tell me much. Does anyone know if they've released the MPG on this baby yet? It has got to be up to par with the fit...even better - the yaris, which would completely sell me.
    No MPG figures released yet on the Accent 3-door but they shouldn't be much different from those on the GLS sedan since it's the same powertrain. If so then they are slightly below those of the Fit (which is not as good as the bigger Civic) and even moreso for the Yaris (which is not as good as the bigger Corolla):

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/accent/specs/specs.aspx

There is a note in the Accent 3-door press release about the 5-speed being geared low; that may be one reason the mpg figures are not as high as one might expect from a 1.6L, 110 hp engine.
  • stragerstrager Posts: 308
    really won't consider a Hyundai, imo. There will always be exceptions, of course.

I'm not making any judgements about Hyundai, but I really think this discussion topic is moot.
  • Well, I do have a Honda Civic right now and will be keeping it. My husband and I need another commuter car. I have had three hondas in the past 10 years...all, very reliable but nothing to write home about. What I can't stand on the Honda is the piece of crap radios and speakers they put in...not to mention the creakin' and rattlin' somewhere in the plastic... And this happened on my accord too.

I am also caught up in the price range. I can't go $16K. I know people who have had Hyundais and they love them... But I can understand people still not liking them...they still have to overcome the stigma.
    If someone wants to buy a Honda, they will buy a Honda. No surprise there. If they are looking to buy a small car and are willing to consider different brands, then the Accent and Fit are both worth considering IMO.

-- former owner of two Civics
  • Yeah, I guess you are right. Although a current Honda and Toyota owner I am definitely open... I want a small car darnnit! I wish they had the Accent out now though I am afraid that the gas mileage might kill me.
    How many miles a year do you drive and over what kind of roads (i.e. city, suburbs, highway)?
  • I drive about 20 - 25,000 miles a year....highway easy flowing in the morning...stop and go in the afternoon... and then regular city/suburb driving on the weekends.
  • njdevil1njdevil1 Posts: 45
    we own our first honda a 2005 civic ex se. we also have owned 9 hyundais- our first a 1988 excel gls that had no major problems with the almost 200,000 miles we put on it. we currently have a 2005 elantra gt which we love driving more than the civic. we agree people think honda are super great cars and hyundais arent so they don't even consider trying out one. if we like the 2007 elantra we are thinking of getting rid of our civic.
    With that kind of driving you might consider a used Prius or Civic hybrid. Would cost not much more than a Fit Sport AT. If you can wait, the Accent hybrid will be here next year.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    I have driven both. The Hyundai is well, it feels a lot like the Mazda and the Focus and a couple of others. A nice car.

But all of them are like micro Buicks. Cushy feel in a straight line, but painfully cheap when it comes to any serious maneuvers or twisties. A tiny car should handle like a go-kart, IMO, since it has little mass and decent power. Most are adequate at best.

The Mini is widely touted as having superb handling. The Fit matches it point-for-point, so it's really a huge difference that no amount of accessories will compensate for. Imagine if Mazda made a $14K stipped-down version of their Miata/MX-5. I don't care what it's lacking in amenities - it still would be a superb car.

Compare a $14K Fit plus 4K in options and upgrades aftermarket, of course, to a base Mini for ~$18K. It's made to be tweaked with to match the Mini for less money, and in Japan and Europe, it's very common for people to do this. Like the Scions, you get a basic car. With a plethora of add-ons if you want.(trust me, they're coming)
  • I have considered the hybrids but I've talked to some folks in this area who have them and their gas mileage doesn't seem to be that great. I've run some figures based on their numbers and ahh, I just can't get it to quite add up. Plus, I need a car that I can throw on possibly 100,000 miles in the next four years and then be done with it - I don't know if I'd like to get into hybrid territory knowing that I'm going to pound the mileage.

I wish I could wait but everything hinges on my husband getting a different job which he is looking for right now. I might need a car in two weeks or two months... We commute together right now and it's a pain since we work in two different locations but if he changes jobs there is just no possible way to continue it...which is kind've a pain too...have to spend more on a vehicle and on gas... Blah....

Honestly....shhhh(keep this quiet since I'm not on the right forum)....I would consider the yaris and the accent (but only if the accent gets better this year in the gas mileage category).... I like the fit even though I don't think it's the greatest looking car...out of my price range....
  • Does anyone know if the Accents rattle as much as the Hondas? With all of the Honda's I've had...they rattle in the plastic...even on my old accord. Now on my most recent civic....rattle, rattle, rattle....
    I can definitely say that with my old 2001 Hyundai Accent GLS, my sister's 2001 Elantra and mom's 2004 Hyundai Elantra, there is close to 0% rattle in those cars. I went over bumps and rough pavements and the cars' structure feels like its 1 piece.

Its weird that the Nissan Maxima and the Acura TSX which are higher end cars have creaks, squeaks and rattles. I remember escaping to the Accent for some peace and quiet! :)