Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Sonata - oil consumption

rurswy1rurswy1 Member Posts: 1
edited February 2018 in Hyundai
2011 Sonata with too high oil consumption. Have under 82K miles. Delaer has done 4 oil consumption test.
They want to do 2 more. What next?

Answers

• tonyg2016tonyg2016 Member Posts: 728
    much info here:
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/yf-2011-sonata-i45/

do you know about the engine failure problems with the YF Sonata (2011-2014)?
    Oil level is critical!
    i check my oil weekly and keep it near/a bit ABOVE the "F" mark

Did you have the engine recall (#132) test done?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Hyundai only required API SM, ILSAC GF4 specification oil for their engines as did a number of other manufacturers and they all are suffering similar failures. There were two maintenance schedules that could be followed "Normal" which allowed for services at 7500 mile intervals and "Severe" which reduced the intervals to 3750 miles. The problem is oil that only met the API specification which is a minimal standard wasn't able to protect the engine's correctly even on the severe schedule. Now had an oil been used that was approved for additional manufacturer requirements like GM's dexos or Ford's WSS M2C945A then going the 7500 mile interval would have been fine and there would have been no deposits inside the engine. There was a lot of press back then claiming that shops were ripping off the consumers by recommending either a more aggressive service interval or by recommending better products. Isn't it funny how those "experts" are no where to be found now that their advice has led so many vehicle owners to this inevitable result?

The main thing right now is, should you get this repaired you need to service the engine with a product approved for GM's dexos specification, and not just something labeled synthetic or synthetic blend and especially not something that only meets the API and ILSAC specifications.
  • stefan123stefan123 Member Posts: 3
    Have you changed the PCV Valve et? My 2011 Hyundai oil consumption problem was solved with a new PCV valve.