Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Land Rover LR2

Comments

• Options
    vinnieg1vinnieg1 Member Posts: 53
    I to thought they would drive me crazy to but after a while you do not notice them. A heated seat when needed is well worth it. It even helps when your back or butt hurts like a heating pad. The only problem I cannot correct is that the lines block any compass I have tried. If anyone has the cold package and found a compass to work please let me know. Thanks
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Retailer activity fee? That's to reimburse the dealer for taking your money to the bank or something? :shades:

Never heard of that one, but it sure sounds like it means "extra dealer profit."
  • Options
    manupmanup Member Posts: 24
    Perhaps LRGUY44 or BritishRover could deceipher what "Retailer Activity Fee" means, if there is such a thing?
  • Options
    lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    Never heard of such a fee. Is it in addition to D&H?
  • Options
    jax10jax10 Member Posts: 36
    In addition to destination....they said Land Rover allows up to $500. for that fee, their's is 300.
    MSRP 38700 lighting, sirius,cc...
    Invoice 36087
    HSE Price is 500 over invoice 36,087
  • Options
    I think you may be confusing destination and Delivery and Handling. Destination is included in the invoice and is a fixed amount for every car. Delivery and handling is a separate item charged by the dealer and LR (or any other manufacturer) has absolutely no control over it - in our market it will vary from about $99 to $599. Ours is $199. If that other fee is in addition to D&H, it simply has to be even more dealer (not sales dept) profit.
  • Options
    Not confusing anything...add it up.

HSE Invoice prices:
    Base 32191+
    Destination 775+
    CC 637+
    Sirius 728 +
    Lighting 956.+
    Retailer Activity Fee 300.
    MSRP 38700
    Invoice 35587
    Price 36087
    They said 500 over invoice, but when I added it up it is actually 800 over invoice.
    I questioned the 300. , they said "retailer activity fee", and that Land Rover allows up to 500 for that....that is all I know.
  • Options
    There is a Regional Advertising Group (RAG) Fee on the invoice (dealer pays) that you will not see on Edmunds or other sites. It pays for the local advertising produced and contracted by the manufacturers. When you see a car add and at the end it lists all the local dealers, that is what the dealer is charged for. It is a totally legitimate dealer invoice expense. They just explained it poorly.
  • Options
    roundstoneroundstone Member Posts: 6
    I was told this is for local dealers advertising fee on TV and news paper. I paid $350 when I pickup my LR2.
  • Options
    Thanks lrguy, that makes sense.
    I have not bought this yet. Seems like a pretty good deal?
  • Options
    $500 over on a HSE is a GREAT deal - I would take it and run. Enjoy it - fantastic automobile.
  • Options
    This is a good opportunity to remind any buyers about "out the door" pricing. If you negotiate what the car will cost to park it in your driveway (i.e., everything, including tags and title), you won't have to worry about any line item surprises like ad fees or "ADM."
  • Options
    njlr2njlr2 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any problems shifting while in Sports mode? The car shifts smooth in the beginning but after reaching 45mpg it dosen't shift and strains loud
  • Options
    I hope that jax10 realizes that I am sure the price is plus D&H plus TTL. $500 over would eliminate a ADM. It is still a great deal
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Retailer activity fee sounds like it is going into a fun to pay for their quarterly events. Now maybe their RAG fee is also 300 dollars to they are just trying to reclaim a little bit of gross by changing the name of the fee.
  • Options
    lrguy:
    Yes, I know the TTL is not included in that 500 over invoice...
    But, I do not know how many other surprise fees there may be besides that 300. fee they had included in that price from the figures above in my other post.
    I did not try to negotiate for the OTD because I really would not know how to do that, I knew the invoice price, so I went from there ( on the phone), may go tomorrow if HSE arrives...

How many extra fees can there be & what is negotiable?
    If they say they sell it to you for 500 over invoice, do they just come up with extra "fees" to make up the profit?
    How would you negotiate the OTD to begin with when you don't know all of the fees, instead of just asking for invoice price or 500 over invoice?

Also, what do you think about Gap ins. & credit life?
    Too many questions I know.
    Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    How many extra fees can there be & what is negotiable?

It's all negotiable. :shades:

The nice thing about focusing on an OTD price is you can skip negotiating on the little stuff. If you haven't signed anything, tell your salesperson the numbers aren't adding up and you want to start over with an OTD price.

And then you get to the F&I person to sign the papers and get pushed to buy mop&glow, extended warranties and who knows what else. That's why they call it the rip-off room. More reason to focus on the OTD price.

Confessions of a Car Salesman is a good read.
  • Options
    State taxes and title fees are not negotiable. D&H is not negotiable. We do not add any other fees. GAP can be a good thing if you are upside down going into the deal. I do not believe in croak and choke (credit life). Steve - contrary to your blatent statement, extended warranties can be a good thing for those who have long term ownership or will outdrive the factory warrangty. Just make sure it is transferable and cancellable. I have done F&I for many years and although in many dealers who pack and pressure products of little or no value, I do take offense to your across the board "rip off room " statement.
  • Options
    How would you negotiate the OTD

1. Know invoice on new car.
    2. Know what they are selling for in your market.
    3. Know how to figure what your TTL will be
    4. If you have a trade - know a REALISTIC trade value for your car in your market.
    5. Price you want to pay + TTL - used trade = OTD

It takes research but can be done. I will say however that most OTD offers I get are ridiculous. Also, know that in most state tax basis is new car - trade allowance.
  • Options
    It's all negotiable.

You can figure what your taxes and title costs and delivery fees are going to be. Take that number and figure out how much in total you want to pay for a new car. Work backwards from there and you get your OTD price. Easy. Just tell your salesperson that you want a new Rover in your driveway for $xx,xxx dollars, including everything. Let them figure out how to get to your price.

I drive them forever and think extended warranties aren't worth the money. I don't have NAV or too much in the way of fancy gizmos. I do try to buy a car with at least a 60/5 drivetrain warranty. I'd rather keep some money in the bank and take my chances. YMMV.

I always heard that the "rip-off" room slang came straight from the dealers. :shades:

The rip-off room CNN)

Rip-off room revisited (CNN)
  • Options
    Not from any dealer I have or ever will work for. I sell products that have real value to many for a fair price. Just because you do not like something does not mean it is valueless for all. As a host please do not make sweeping generalizations. I and the other people in the biz who post here are here to help - not get ripped. Rip where it is deserved. Thanks.
  • Options
    lrguy
    & steve:
    Thank you both for all of your answers & opinions.
    Not to get too personal, but just to let you know your help here is invaluable to me as well as many others I am sure. My husband passed away a year ago & though I am college educated, I knew nothing about buying & selling cars. I have been reading on Edmunds for quite a while now, I was amazed when I first found it...the trade-in forum, etc. It is a great service you all provide here. It is plain to see you all have a passion for this business, that is why you are here. Thank you very much.

I do not have a trade-in, I sold my SUV about two weeks ago, owed too much, could not get enough as trade-in, sold it myself for $4000 more than the LR dealer offered me for it & still I had to pay the difference to pay it off, ( it was loaded with low miles, but too many bad memories of driving my husband back & forth to hospital, sounds silly, but could not stand it) anyway now I will have to pay the whole sales tax on the new one. And by the way, CarMax & some other dealers had offered me the exact amount that Volvomax on trade-in forum had said it would bring.

I know I should get something more economical, etc. but I have been through hell for seven years with my husband being sick, etc. And I want this LR2, so I am just trying to get a good deal on it & not feel like such a fool going in not knowing what I am doing, so once again thank you very much for your help.

And I don't have the deal done yet, so I may have more questions.

Also, lrguy, I will probably want to get an extended warranty later, but not now. I would not want to have to worry after the 50,000 miles. Thank you for answering each of my questions.
  • Options
    Glad I could help - have an idea of went you went through as I spent 4 1/2 months off work last year with 3 heart surgeries and major infection. Without my wife I would not be here. I am sorry for your loss.
    You also will get a better deal on a SE if you can still find one - and a retired service loaner will have a few miles but even a better deal. If this intrigues you I will be glad to provide specifics Hope you and yours have a wonderful New Year
  • Options
    mr_bubblemr_bubble Member Posts: 12
    Neither the gas cap nor the fuel door comes with a lock. I understand there is an anti-siphon device in the fuel filler neck, but I want more than that. I checked with the Land Rover parts dept and they said a locking gas cap is not offerred as an option.

Does anyone know if any aftermarket locking gas cap will work fine, or is there something "special" about the LR2 that keeps you captive to the OEM cap?
  • Options
    lrguy:
    Well, I got it....LR2 HSE, the deal I told you about.
    Had only emailed & 1 phone call, about the deal...wondered what I would have to go through when I got there & if they would follow through with the deal.
    Never been so surprised, got the deal exactly as promised, no pressure, did not try to sell anything extra....finance guy was just great, they were so very nice, I could not have imagined it would go as it did. Not like any thing I have ever seen or heard of...Just excellent.
    Drove it home last night, Brand new, I have driven it 200 miles, absolutely love it so far. Perfect. Lines on windshield do not bother me at all.
    Not a shallow person at all, but it is funny how a car can make you feel...as I said we have been through hell the last 7 years, with husband being sick & passing away a year ago.....could have gotten something used or less expensive, this is the first thing I have ever really splurged on, feel a little guilty...kids 19 & 16 told me I deserved it. The first fun we have had in a very long time. Thank you again for all of your answers to my questions, you were great. It gave me much more confidence to be able to have all of that info., etc.
    Happy New Year to you & Thanks again.
  • Options
    lnmlnm Member Posts: 13
    Can anybody comment on the typical areas you get rock chips on the LR2? I am going to be installing the 3M plastic film material myself and want to know what areas are the hardest hit. My other car is a Prius. The front-end design of the car has caused such an inordinate amount of rock chip damage to the front hood; I had to get it painted after just two years. I would have saved thousands had I known about 3M then. Thanks!
  • Options
    I am so happy for you - and glad that you got to experience the LR Way of doing business first hand. Have a great time with your vehicle.
  • Options
    saveriteliqsaveriteliq Member Posts: 1
    I'll be buying a new LR2 shortly, and would like to know about anyone's experience with the standard equipment tires.
    First, I will be using this vehicle for both normal highway driving, and also recreational offroad beach sand in the Long Island, New York area, as well as snow in the winter.
    I've notice that the LR2 comes with all season tires, and also comes with a temporary spare. Some road tests have negatively reported about the lack of availability of better offroad tires, and also about the temporary spare.
    Has anyone replaced the temporary with a regular full size spare. Does a full size spare fit in the spare well? I will need a regular full size spare to qualify for the beach permit on Long Island.
    Also, I don't feel comfortable driving on sand with all season tires. Does anyone have any experience with any all terrain tires like Perelli or the BF Goodrich All Terrain tires?
    Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off the auto-dim feature? The rear window is already tinted, and dimming the mirror makes it so dark as to hinder your ability to see the traffic behind you.
  • Options
    tredferntredfern Member Posts: 20
    Is it true that you have to spend $800-$900+ every year or 10,000 miles for brake pads?
    I read this on several reviews...yahoo auto user reviews, etc. Here is one of the "scary" reviews below.
    I hope this is not true because I just bought LR2 HSE.
    Anyone?

PREPARE TO COUGH UP $900+ EVERY 10,000 MILES
    by MIKE from PORTER RANCH, CA (6/29/07)

Pros: FUEL ECONOMY IS OK, NOTHING IMPRESSIVE, GOOD LOOKS, NICE INTERIOR,
    Cons: FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE DRIVING IT, SOMETHING IS HOLDING ME BACK, TIGHT BACK SEATS

I'VE HAD 2 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY'S AND ONE RANG ROVER SPORT, AND I TEST DROVE THE LR2. ALTHOUGH IT HAS A NICE RIDE, AND FEEL, HOWEVER MY COMPLAINT IS THAT EVERY 10,000 MILES I WILL BE NEEDING A NEW SET OF BRAKE PADS WHICH COST OVER $900.00. SO IF YOU DO A LOT OF DRIVING, TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION THE COST OF REPLACING THOSE BRAKE PADS. I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IS THE POINT OF PURCHASING A $30,000 PLUS SUV WHEN THE ENGINEERS DON'T TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION THE WEIGHT OF THE SUV AND THE ROTORS THAT WON'T HELP THE SUV STOP!!!!!!!!!!!
    IN MY OPINION, IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY!
  • Options
    roberto6roberto6 Member Posts: 23
    I agree.Enjoy.Its a great car and great brakes too!
  • Options
    ohwell159ohwell159 Member Posts: 11
    Instead of criticizing someones question, why don't you answer it! This site is to ask questions and share information and if you don't agree don't post.
  • Options
    That review is the most uninformed piece of literature I have ever read. By the way, the LR2 brakes are over designed - 12 1/2" rotors up front, 12" rear. Even our heavies that are over 6000 lbs.GVWR (RR, LR3, Sport) do better than that review stated.
  • Options
    jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    ohwell, can U answer the question?:

"Is it true that you have to spend $800-$900+ every year or 10,000 miles for brake pads?"

Go ahead, you answer it.

If you want my answer it's "I dont even understand the question." If he's asking ME if I spend (or have to spend) $800-$900+ every year or 10,000 miles for brake pads" I'd say No. But I think he's asking Land over owners. Not even sure if he's asking LR2 owners cause his capitalized gibbering mentions Discoveries and Range Rovers.

Your turn. You answer him. But first, tell us what the question is, and how YOU are qualified to answer it.
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    The spare is full size not a donut it is just on a steel rim without Tire Pressure Monitors and that is why it is called a temporary spare.

The all terrain tires on dry sand will be fine just air them down somewhat.

If you really want to get some more aggressive tires or ones with thicker sidewalls that can be aired down more get a set of 17 inch steel wheels and put on a set of real all terrain tires.

As to the 10,000 mile brake job it sounds like BS to me.

First look at the date of that posting. The LR2 had only been out for 10 weeks or so when that review was posted. Not many people put 10,000 miles on a car in that short amount of time and if they do it is mainly highway driving so brake wear would be minimal.

The LR2 has amazing brakes just like all other Land Rovers. The catch is that Land Rovers are a little heavier then the average SUV because of the extra 4wd tech and the super strong chassis. I have seen the brakes on LR3s wear out in 20,000 or so miles and I have seen them last as long as 50,000 miles. It all depends on how you drive. A person accelerating hard from every stop light then slamming on the brakes, riding the brakes down every hill and generally driving like a moron is going to wear out the brakes on a big Land Rover in 20,000 miles or less. Someone that coasts to a stop when possible, anticipates stops, uses Command Shift to engine brake down hills will get 30,000 or more miles out of a set of brakes.
  • Options
    patmatoolepatmatoole Member Posts: 5
    I've had my LR 2 since June of 2007 and am still overall pleased at close to 7K miles. I just want to know if anyone besides me has experienced either of the following:

1) There are pretty noticeable creases forming in the driver's side leather seat edge along where my left thigh rests when I'm sitting in the car. It looks like the leather has weakened and I'm worried it will crack sooner than later. for the record, I'm 5' 11" and weigh 185 lbs so I don't think I'm causing this. I've never had this happen in any other car I've owned foreign or domestic.

2) When going over any type of bump, I hear a loud cracking noise coming from the back of the truck and a rattle (almost like a loose spring) coming from what appears to be the passenger side of the car. The dealer has heard this too and tried unsuccessfully to fix it.

Anyone??? Thanks.
  • Options
    u2fan1967u2fan1967 Member Posts: 19
    I noticed the same thing with the seats. I'm 5'10 and 200 and its starting to wear a little. I assume its warranty work and they should either fix it or replace it

FWIW, I was a the dealer the other day and noticed that the new HSEs fix this with some extra stitching and perforations on the seat edge.
  • Options
    patmatoolepatmatoole Member Posts: 5
    I noticed the same thing on the HSE and I am annoyed to say the least. It means they know there is a problem. Looks like we are the guinea pigs! I intend to make this a warranty issue as well -- sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    loadedblkseloadedblkse Member Posts: 1
    I Have 17k miles on my SE since last May. The brakes haven't even started to squeel yet as the tab on the pad still has room to go. There's half your answer. When I pay to get them changed I'll let you know the other half.
  • Options
    I am the proud owner of a new 2008 LR2 HSE. The scheduled maintenance calls for the first oil change at 7,500 miles which the dealer performs (no charge) as part of the scheduled service visits. However, my understanding is that all new vehicles should have their initial oil change shortly after the 500 - 1,500 mile break-in period to clear out the oil which likely contains particles from new engine operation. Does this reasoning not apply to the LR2?
  • Options
    serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    Given the cleanliness of the modern manufacturing process, I suspect this is more of an urban legend than anything. I would follow the recommendations of the manufacturer.

Some manufacturers such as VW actually use special oil during break-in. This oil should not be changed during the break-in period.

Regards,
    Tom
  • Options
    FYI - Here's a link to a provocative article claiming that frequent oil changes (and even premium fuel) is overrated. This article is not specific to Land Rover or any other brand of vehicle.
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/editorials/peek-oil/
  • Options
    drsm00thdrsm00th Member Posts: 10
    Question from a warm weather person. I have an LR2 and know it has 4 wheel drive. When going to the mountains, etc....when are chains necessary? I guess the question is when would one be ok with just the snow setting to having to get out and put chains on? Would this car qualify to pass the usual chain restricted areas of 4X4's with snow tires?

Thanks.
  • Options
    roberto6roberto6 Member Posts: 23
    I live in the Laurentians in Quebec and use the LR 2 everyday. The Snow terrain mode works absolutely fantastic on this car. I cannot say why one would need chains. We have had tons of snow this year.
  • Options
    avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Do you have snow tires on your car?
  • Options
    hughmcmillanhughmcmillan Member Posts: 2
    I have an LR2, 10K miles, and I have studded snow tyres on it. They are Hakka 5 235/65/17 ($199.95) mounted on Land Rover steel wheels ($129.95) with Tyre pressure sensors ($54.95). They are fantastic although slightly more noisy than standard tyres. (Prices are each. Times 4 with lug nuts it comes to $1579.)

I live half a mile up an east-west dirt road in the Litchfield hills of northwestern Connecticut. It is a private road barely plowed and hardly maintained. The grade is 16 per cent in two pitches and there is a grade on the south side of the road so the sun does not hit the road in winter. The early snows of several inches around Thanksgiving get packed down and freeze giving a good base for the ice that stays until a good thaw. I have gone down the hill spinning end-over-end in a Toyota Tercel and once rode the crown of the road as I slid straight down in a Saab 9000. Scary stuff... The studs provide a sense of security that is well worth the expense. Four by fours, IMHO, provide their drivers with an amazing ability to go forward (and backward) in very challenging winter conditions but they don’t do much for the person wishing to stop when they have all-season radials when it is very slippery/icy. The wider tread and harder rubber are not what one wants in a snow Tyre.

My other car is a Volvo XC-70 (Ocean Race) and I put the same brand of now tyres on it for the same reasons. BTW, I get the same MPG out of both cars.

I have not used chains except on my tractor. Old fashioned chains are a royal PITA to put on but there may be newer types that are easier. For me the studs are the solution to the terrible first and last half mile I have to drive leaving or returning home.

Hugh
  • Options
    drsm00thdrsm00th Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the input so far. I don't have any special snow tires, just the stock tires that came with it and was wondering if that is typically fine to use in areas where chains are required for 2 wheel drives. Typically in the local resorts they put up chains required signs after or during a snow storm on all 2 wheel drive cars. It sounds like roberto uses the LR2 in these type of conditions....with stock wheels which is what I am wondering.
  • Options
    manupmanup Member Posts: 24
    Any golfers who own the LR2, tell me if you are able to put two sets of golf bags in the cargo area behind the rear seats ?
  • Options
    mooglesmoogles Member Posts: 6
    I have had a creaking / clunking noise coming from the interior rear of my LR2 for the past few thousand miles (bought in May and have almost 17K now). It happens mostly when accelerating, decelerating, turning or going over bumps. Very annoying. The first time I took it in for service the dealer said they took it for a test drive but couldn't hear anything (Hah!). Not coincidentally, the invoice said they returned the car with the odometer reading 5 miles more than when it came in. In fact, it was less than one mile! Lazy / dishonest technician, I guess.

Anyway, the second time they said they fixed it. They said they just needed to adjust and lube the bumpers on the interior of the hatch (Hah again!). It made no difference. Obviously, they didn't even do a test drive after their "fix."

Now it is in for a third time for this issue, after me taking a tech on a test drive and making sure he heard the noise. I will post an update when I get the car back. If you know anything new, patmatoole, I'd be very interested to hear it.

Other issues I've had:

1. Moisture in rear taillight. Fixed right away with no hassle.
    2. Deformation of plastic trim at exterior base of windshield. Fixed no hassle.
    3. Loose plastic trim on passenger side door, causing whistling at highway speeds. Fixed after much hassle with the dealer unable to determine source of the problem after two or three tries. I had to figure it out myself and show them.
    4. No sound from radio on intermittent occasions. Seems to have been fixed with software reload.
    5. Check Engine light on for about a week. Then went off. Tests showed no problems, dealer said. Ditto with "fuel cap loose or missing" warning message.

Still, I like my LR2. Hoping these are all just early QC bugs and long term will be fine once resolved.
  • Options
    calrovercalrover Member Posts: 3
    Egads no! It is a very small cargo area -- barely fits a gym bag and briefcase. Perhaps one golf bag. :lemon: