Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Battery/Alternator/Radio issues

bradley8302bradley8302 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2018 in Toyota
Hoping you guys might be able to help me out here. Recently replaced the battery in my truck as it died while I was sitting in it a few weeks ago listening to the radio. New battery in it and no issues for a week or so. Start up the truck to go to work and the radio completely shuts off mid commute out of the blue and won't come back on(no buttons work, can't get cd out, but bluetooth steering wheel controls still work), truck continues running fine though. Checked the fuse labeled "radio" in the box under the hood and it's still good. Went to start the truck yesterday and it was dead as a doornail. Jumped it off and ran it up to the repair shop and found out the alternator was bad. Got that replaced and the guy says the battery is dead so it'll have to be jumped off to get back home, which I did. On the way home(with a new alternator in it), the radio still wouldn't work. Took the battery out when I got home last night and brought it to the store I had purchased it from a few weeks ago, and the guy says it's dead(obviously) and can't be recharged and gives me a new one.

I haven't had a chance to put the new battery in, but my question is what could have happened to the radio for it to go out when the truck was running like it did the first time? I don't know a ton about cars; but my understanding is that the battery is mainly used to start the car, and the alternator keeps everything running. Could the bad alternator have been the culprit that caused the radio to go out, and the dead battery prevented the radio from coming on yesterday with the new alternator in it?