Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - bad tranny (twice)

kurt95cherokeekurt95cherokee Member Posts: 1
edited April 2018 in Jeep
Hi folks, my first time here and I need the advice of some Jeep people. About a month ago I test drove and bought a used 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited... real clean body, great engine with 190,000 miles for $2000. (I talked him down $500)

Six hours after purchasing the Jeep the drivers side CV joint goes out!! I get towed to a local mechanic, they replace both. At this point I'm still feeling positive about the sale. I confidently drive it around for about a week and then... the tranny goes out!! Okay, I'm not so positive anymore but to me it's still worth fixing. My honest mechanic finds a used one from a salvage yard with a warranty for $750. He installs it, test drives it for half the day. We get it back and decide on a little road trip to celebrate... 50 miles later its grinding and slipping out of gear (!) we pull over and tranny fluid is pouring out. Now I'm traumatized. We get towed back (thank goodness we have AAA) to our mechanic and find out the overdrive blew up!! So although the tranny was under warranty, they cannot locate a replacement... I will get a refund but not the labor costs... So I'm out $600!!

My tranny broke twice and now I'm broke! I cannot afford a rebuild and am scared to death to touch a used one without a warranty. I want to give Jeeps a chance but my first experience has been a doozy!

If I were to attempt to sell my Jeep with a busted tranny, but all else in great shape, what is it worth!? (I know, whatever someone will pay for it) but what can I expect to get? We're literally stuck here in Nevada and need to get moving North soon. And any advice (or criticism) is welcome.

Thanks for your time!
Kurt