Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 safety overrated?

bbarker99bbarker99 Member Posts: 4
edited May 2018 in Volvo
I'm looking for a 3-row SUV and trying to choose between the 2018 XC90 and Subaru Ascent. Safety is mine #1 priority.

Given Volvo's reputation for safety, I was surprised to see that the IIHS XC90 "Torso" side impact crash test rating was "Acceptable" instead of "Good". For many cars (i.e. Subaru outback) , Side Impact is "Good" down the line. (http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/volvo/xc90-4-door-suv)

Furthermore, it has been "Acceptable" since 2016. So Volvo doesn't seem to be fixing this. Any idea if the 2019 version will fix this? Is it a structural issue?

What's going on? Is Volvo's reputation for safety overrated? I was very surprised to see this. Any insights would be greatly helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    XC90 probably remains the single safest vehicle available in USA. It like many volvos has a zero point zero fatality rate. Not a single fatality in all USA in most or all recent years. No, Volvo's reputation for safety is not overrated but IIHS reputation might be.