Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero Starting-Stalling Problems

Comments

• janeo22janeo22 Member Posts: 18
    My 2003 olds alero did this just last week. I got a jump and brought it to my local Tireplus (which is where I've developed a good relationship w/ a master mechanic). They replaced the battery (the old one was original factory, and the testing they did proved that it was going). Also the alternator was tested and needed a new belt. It cost me $78.98 with a $20 off coupon to have the entire problem taken care of. Make sure your fuel filter (this isn't the filter that is changed during an oil change) has been checked out also, that will cost about $65.00 to change as well. I have tried very hard to keep my schedule of manufacturer recommended checks and repairs to my 2003 Alero, and it has 55,000 miles and runs great. I would recommend developing a good relationship with a mechanic. If they are passionate about car's, they will help you. The Alero has a reputation for nickle and dime repairs at least every 10,000 miles, so keep up on your maintenance, and that should help lessen the financial blow. I still like my car very much.
  • pittdave79pittdave79 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Alero has the same issue. It is not a security problem, and the fuel pump is fine. Changed the pump relay didn't work. When the problem originally started a few months ago, I would just keep turning the car over for a good 20 minutes and the car would eventually start. Afterwards the car would start up fine on every subsequent attempt to start. Today it did it again, and I read on a forum that someone had whacked the gas tank and it got the car to start, so that is what I tried. Low and behold, it worked. So now my thinking is that is is either a bunk fuel filter, or there is something floating around in the fuel tank and every now and then gets caught at the fuel line hole. Unfortunately, I have no idea how I could try to clean out my fuel tank. I fear my only option is to get a new fuel tank installed.
  • audgyrl74audgyrl74 Member Posts: 1
    Ok I just purchased a used 1999 Alero coupe. 6 cyl. Well I didnt have it 2 days, and now it doesnt want to start is it due to the heat? I have read alot of different things from people in here talking about fule filters, and pumps and things. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR CARS? :confuse: :lemon:
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Can you provide more symptoms? Like does the engine spin when you try to start? Is the security light on? Does it start but then die right away? Anything else?
  • jmlee1jmlee1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Olds Alero. I had the same problem with my security light flashing and then the car wouldn't start. The trick to finding out what the problem is...is when the light starts flashing and the car fails to turn over..don't try it again. Tow it to the dealership (luckily mine was only 3 miles away so the tow was free)..the dealer needs to run a diagnostic on the car. But once the car eventually turns over..the information in the computer gets wiped out. thus the reason not to try and turn it over again. The problem ended up being that the passlock sensor on my car was going bad and it finally quit....thus the reason the security light kept flashing... the cost to fix was about $500. Once the security light starts flashing it cuts off the fuel injection system... luckily for me...I didn't blow out the passlock component system because that would have been a huge expense. Hope this helps
  • jrbakerjrbaker Member Posts: 1
    a couple weeks back my sisters security light kicked on for her 2002 alero. we reset it with the 10 min key reset. it worked fine. now it don't start, no lights come on. any ideas if these could be related?
  • charissecharisse Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same problem today, and the exact same fix has worked for me. I bet my dealer would've charged me at least $300.

Thank you!
  • rslaughter1rslaughter1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Alero with the same problem of the security light starts blinking if I try to start the car to fast or if it doesn't start on the first try. This light starts blinking. According to the manual you have to turn the ignition off and the back to the on position and leave it there for ten minutes. The security light will go off. After you turn the ignition off and then try to start the car it usually works. My problem is that this keeps happening. I'm afraid it will eventually stop working. You say there's a sensor that had to be replaced? Is there a recall on this? Have you had any more problems since changing out the sensor?
  • stevenzstevenz Member Posts: 1
    what sensors are you talking about? I have had to do the security resest thing now twice in 3 days. Does anyone know how to bypass this BUll @!##????
    The sensor that is in question is on the ignition switch. It's called a Hall effect sensor. It runs about $400 to repair. There's no recall and not likely to be since it's not considered a safety issue by the NTSB. There are TSB's out concerning it though. Just occasionally it's a different problem (corrosion on BCM connector, or BCM itself) but usually it's that sensor.
    Your right, it usually only gets worse over time.
    Hall effect sensor, on the ignition switch.
    Try going over to the Grand Am forum and searching on Passlock. There were some detailed instructions there on how to bypass it, but I don't remember exactly where in the forum. Also, there's detailed descriptions and bypass info on the web, search on GM Passlock.
  • dabitchdabitch Member Posts: 1
    To all non-starters:
    I had the same problem with my car randomly deciding not to start. The fix simple:
    - buy a can of compressed air (same as you would use for cleaning your keyboard)
    - place the nozzle extension "straw" (should come attached to the can with air) on the nozzle
    - blow out the key hole really good (use at least half of can of the compressed air)
    - soak your key in the rubbing alcohol
    - clean the key really good and let it dry
    Your car should start like a charm after that. If you start experiencing the non-starter condition again - repeat the above. Apparently there is a very sensitive sensor in the key hole that over time gets covered with dust and your key is not connecting the "loop" to start the car. This remedy is cheap and IT WORKS!!!
  • stemargalstemargal Member Posts: 1
    My 99 Alero, will reset the radio clock, trip odometer, and pops the trunk when I try to start it and it will just click over. Then if I wait five minutes, try it again it will start up and the radio light and time comes on no problem, and it runs fine. Its doing it every time I try to start it. I feel like my car is possessed! :mad: Help!
  • kori722kori722 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having problems starting my Alero. The car keeps turning over but just doesn’t want to start. I have taken it to a mechanic and they ran all its codes and changed the spark plugs and all the filters. I went to pick it up from them that night and it just wouldn’t start. The next morning they went to fix it and it just started up for them right away, it’s really frustrating. They told me that it’s probably my security system shutting off the fuel injector and to just keep unlocking my car until it starts. I read this forum and tried resetting the system by leaving the key in the ignition for 10 minutes that worked when I tried to start up the car but a few hours later it had the same problem starting again. While the key was in the ignition no security light came on it said check engine. I’m not sure what to do since my car was just checked out by a mechanic and they say its totally fine. Could it be a sensor?
  • tainted24tainted24 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same, if not similar problems occur with my 2000 GL 2.4 this summer. I tried all the ideas on the forums as well, with the whole 10 min thing, replacing my key, new battery, new spark plugs. We checked the fuses, the sensors, fuse box and so on. At one point we did test the ignition switch per the Haynes manual and it did beep on each test with the voltmeter, which meant to us that it was getting current. After a month of pulling out my hair and thinking it was possibly my fuel pump going. We decided to go back and psychically take out the ignition module and put in another one from a junkyard, before making a large purchase on a new fuel pump.

My car has worked great ever since!!

My father took apart the ignition module and found corrosion on the contacts which was causing it to not function 100%. I am not a mechanic, just an Alero owner who wanted to try and fix the problem on their own with the aid of my father.

The cost of the ignition module was $10 from the junkyard. He put my old locking cylinder into the “new” ignition module so I didn't have to use a separate key.

Like I said I'm not a mechanic, just an Alero owner with limited funds. I hope this helps someone.

Gmpartsdirect.com (if you need to find part numbers or parts)
  • lb13lb13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Alero. In July, I went to go start the car one time, and my security light went off and the car wouldn't start. That was the first time it had ever happened. I waited 15 minutes, and my car started again. Ever since then, my security light goes off randomly, when I go to start the car and I have to wait 15 minutes. Is there any way that I could possibly bypass the security system to get it to start right away? I don't always have time to wait for my car to start! I'm starting to get afraid that I'll be stranded somewhere!
    Yes you can bypass it. Look over in the Grand Am forum and search on passlock. There's some detailed instructions over there, but I don't remember exactly where. It involves removing dash parts, cutting wires and installing a toggle switch, if your game for that.
  • sopranongsopranong Member Posts: 1
    Thank you so much for talking about this, I had this exact thing happen. My car wouldn't start and there was no sound and that security light was flashing. After reading this my Dad went out and turned the key to the on position and while he waited he actually found something about this in my owners man. After about 12 min the light stopped flashing and it cranked!!! Thanks again!
  • lorimc1999lorimc1999 Member Posts: 1
    would changing the fuses help this problem?
  • cleangrylcleangryl Member Posts: 4
    this won't be the last time this happens. we need to continue to call oldsmobile and complain and maybe this will be a recall issue.
  • cleangrylcleangryl Member Posts: 4
    changing the fuses will not help this problem.
    As has been stated here many times in the past, the NTSB doesn't consider Passlock failures a safety issue and hence no recall will be happening.
  • fschoefflerfschoeffler Member Posts: 7
    [2002 Alero - 29K miles]

I accidentally pushed the alarm button on my key remote, the alarm horn sounded, and I pushed the key remote again to shut it off. The next day my car would not start. After reading this entire thread, I went back and noticed that the security light was blinking. I performed the recommended action:
    1) put the key in the ignition
    2) turned the key to ACC
    3) waited about 5 minutes until the security light went off
    4) turned the key to off
    5) I then was able start the car normally

Something must be wrong with my ignition key sensor to keep the security system from letting me start the car after the initial alarm sequence. Or, Alero has a slight design flaw.
  • lindinolindino Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 99 OLDS ALERO, I PUT REMOTE START ON IT YEARS AGO WHEN I GOT THE CAR AND FOR A COUPLE YEARS HAD NO PROBLEM THEN 1 DAY I WAS OUT GOT IN THE CAR AND IT STARTED AND SHUT OFF THEN THE SECURITY LIGHT STARTED FLASHING,I WAITED FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES AND IT STOPED BLINKING THE LOCKS RESET AND THE CAR STARTED. I THOUGHT I WAS THE REMOTE START BUT THE INSTALLERS FOUND NO PROBLEM W/IT. NO EVERY NOW AND THEN THE LIGHT FLASHES AND THE CAR WON'T START FR 10-15 MINUTES...I'VE FOUND OUT IF U KEEP TRYING TO START W/THE LIGHT FLASHING IT CAUSES THE CAR TO TAKE A LONGER TIME TO "RESET"
  • poole2007poole2007 Member Posts: 2
    I've doing research about this same problem and wanted to share my experience. we have a 2002 alero(ecotech engine). and have had starting issues on and off spread out over the last 2-3 yrs. Car won't start in the morning then in the afternoon, then no problems. We have changed the battery on multiple occasions. About 3mths ago we had to have it towed to our mechanic who replaced the alternator and put in a bigger battery at the same time. now it has been 6 days and counting since we haven't had our car. I had to have it towed to a local mechanic in the area where it wouldn't start. He couldn't figure it out. thought it had something to do w/ the securty system which he was not equiped to handle. So I had to have it towed again to the Dealer. the dealer called yesterday and said it wasn't giving them any problems Started right up after 2 tows! thinks it could be the passlock system but couldn't 'guarentee' it. Would cost w/ parts and labor about 380-400$ to fix. They are suppose to try and see if it gives them any problems this am. I found this website and told them about the turning the ignition to ACC and waiting 10 min and asked them to try that if it doesn't start...yah now, just to humor me.... and the guy gave me a hard time. Said you could still have that problem all the time. So I will put a question out there. Has anyone out there had there passlock system replaced and still had starting issues? and Can avoiding the issue cause other problems?
    The basic thing is this:
    When you have the problem is the "security" indicator in the gauge cluster coming on and flashing? Or when the car is running does the "security" indicator come on solid some times? If no to both, then most likely it's not passlock.
    Other possible issues:
    Bad ignition switch (do you have a lot of junk on your key ring(s)?)
    Failing fuel pump (not likely after so long a time-it would probably be out for good).
    Bad or corroded connection at a control module somewhere.
    There probably others but those are the likely candidates from my experience.
  • alerogalalerogal Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same issues with my Passlock system. Sometimes my car will not start but I do the trick where you leave the key in the On position for 10 minutes and it starts up. My dealer said it is the sensor and that they would have to replace the ignition cylinder which would cost about $500 to fix the problem. I have no faith that this would fix it. Has anyone done this succesfully?
    Yes. It's not the cylinder though, it's the ignition switch (which has the Hall effect sensor on it).
  • marlowsamarlowsa Member Posts: 3
    I am having this issue right now (again)

Last winter car 2003 alero would not start (turn ignition and the lights would just DIM). I had the car towed and it started right up for them. they replaced the battery anyways.

Happened again a few weeks later and had it towed again, they replaced out the entire ignition cyl (re-keyed the keys) which I believe included the passlock technology. It has been fine for a year until tonight. Back to the same issue again. I left the ignition on for about 10 min but it did not work. I will try it again tomorrow when I have the jumper cables on it (so I don't run down the battery)
  • poole2007poole2007 Member Posts: 2
    the last time I posted was back at the end of November. Its been almost 2 mths since the last time we've had the problem. Hears my opinion about the whole thing. the dealer told us about the same price to have it 'fixed'. they we're exactly sure if it would fix the problem and danced around the possiblity that it could still happen. what the dealers don't tell you is that leaving the ignition onACC for approx 10-15min, resets the passlock system. I had to pry it out of the guy. First he said he thought he heard about that somewhere over the phone then when I picked up the car he slipped and said that's how they got it started. but warned me that if it continues to happen I could do further damage to my car. when I asked what could it effect he didn't have answer. He was trying to get my money. Personally I'm not going to replace the passlock system unless it starts doing all the time, the car is running great and it hasn't happened in 2mths. I think in the last 2yrs looking back, nowing what I know now. I think its happened maybe 4 other occassions and we've changed batteries, the alternator,etc and it's only happened in cold weather.
    After I posted my last comment I had a thought, after my car was towed it worked and same for some others posting issues. When they tow the car they put the key on ACC. So I did that for about 20-30 minutes (does not turn on the lights so no worries about battery running down). I took out the key and put it back in and it worked!

I would really like to know why this is happening in the first place. Especially after I had mine replaced once already.

I agree, it has only happened to me in colder weather as well. Last week it was really cold single digits, but yesterday when it happened it was about 60 during the day and when the car would not start it was in the low 40's. The security light did flash last week though for one trip last week when it was really cold somewhere int he teens. Maybe, it has something to do with extreme cold / warm variations.
  • dschasteen66dschasteen66 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2001 Alero we bought used in 2003. We've noticed over the years that after a heavy rain, we get all kinds of "ghost" warning lights, Security, Trac Off, etc. Seems to disappear a few days later, after everything has dried out. In October 2006, we had a problem of turning the key and nothing would happen. Had it towed to a local GM dealership service dept., "Mr. Goodwrench" found Passlock problem and replaced ignition cylinder/Passlock sensor to the tune of $263.85. In October 2007, we had a problem of turning the key, engine would turn over but would sputter and not catch and start. Had it towed to independent automotive repair shop and left it overnight. Next morning, Alero cranked and started. Mechanic checked it out and couldn't find anything wrong. In late December 2007, same thing happened, only next day it still wouldn't start. Had towed to same local GM dealership service dept. again. "Mr. Goodwrench" diagnosed to Passlock problem and replaced ignition cylinder/Passlock sensor AGAIN, but said it also wasn't getting fuel to injectors. Diagnosed to "inop" fuel pump, replaced pump. Total bill this time (1/9/08): $875.82. We're wondering why "Mr. Goodwrench" can't seem to get a handle on these kinds of problems. Aren't they the "experts" for these automobiles?
    When you were experiencing these suspected Passlock no start problems, was the security light in the cluster coming on and flashing? Also, did you notice the security light ever coming on while driving? If not then I would suspect the weak fuel pump was the culprit all along. Passlock, even though not the most reliable security system, gets a lot of blame for things it doesn't have anything to do with.

The problems after the wet conditions is usually caused by moisture getting into the connector for the PCM and the resultant corrosion. There's TSB's out for both the Alero and Grand Am for this but don't ask me the #'s now, it's been to long.
  • jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    We have an 03 which we bought in feb 2006 and 3 times now it has had this problem.We've replaced ignition switches,some sort of cylinder,had the valves cleaned.Its very frustrating.Its been running now for about a month butI think these cars are fundamentally flawed.I'm using it to drive to work (10 miles each way). We will not drive this car farther than that.At least within 10 miles if it breaks down we can call a cab and get a ride home.
    Its got 32kmiles on it.When we have to drive a dependable car we drive our 2000 Sienna with 110k miles on it.
    GM wonders why it is losing the market to toyota?
    Interesting, my 03 alero only has 32,000 miles and I drive 7 miles to work. Maybe these are subject to go bad if you do a lot of short trips and low miles? I have also seen that it happens in the winter months as well with other posts.
  • amarillotgamarillotg Member Posts: 1
    hi all,

this just happened to me last night. i have an 02 alero w/ about 230,000km. i drive long distance everyday with no real problems. a couple weeks ago my car wouldn't start in the cold so i replaced the battery and it's been fine since. now last night i drove to the corner store no more than 2 min away and on the way home all of a sudden the car wouldn't accelerate and was kind of chugging along. finally it completely died in front of my house and would start up but then shut right off. just went out this morning and it wouldn't even turn over. trying the 15min on Acc and seeing if that works, otherwise it looks like i'll be at the mercy of the dealership.
  • jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    My car was also dying as I was driving it.They think it is the ignition switch and so they replaced it.Been about a month now and the car hasn't broken down in 400 miles or so so I feel fortunate.
  • daquenzerdaquenzer Member Posts: 4
    Towed 2001 Alero six times after I bought it in June. First three time it didn't start, as soon as it was off the tow truck it started. Finally decided change the ignition. Worked fine for 3 months. Now I have the same problem again. Although this time after I got it off the tow truck it didn't start until the next morning. Go figure. No one can give me an answer. Any suggestions.
  • whitey69whitey69 Member Posts: 1
    TURN KEY ON AND IF SECURITY LIGHT FLASHES LEAVE ON 8-10 MIN OR UNTIL STAYS ON THEN SHUT OFF AND TRY TO START.IT IS ACTUALLY IN OWNERS MAN. AND SEEMS I NEED TO DO THIS EVERY FEW MONTHS.
  • conrada1conrada1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 oldsmobile intrigue that needs the passenger side air bag panel removed because its broke/warped and wont pass safety inspection so i can replace it. How do i disable the air bag with out killing my self taking the air bag panel off???
  • drtriderdrtrider Member Posts: 2
    this car has a 2.2 engine. is not getting fuel. no p-codes. no security light. tried the turn key on, wait 10 minutes deal...did not work. I can hear fuel pump momentarily when key is on. I got under car, and hit gas tank several times with rubber mallet, and car starts, after about 3-4 seconds, car starts running rough, then after another 3-4 seconds, car dies, and will not restart unless i tap on the tank again.
    Sound like you need to replace the fuel pump. I had the same problem. Every time I got the car towed it would start. Finally I had the mechanic come to my house when it didn't start. It was the fuel pump. Now works fine. Classic fuel pump issue.
    Cost is about $750.
    Sound like you need to replace the fuel pump. I had the same problem. Every time I got the car towed it would start. Finally I had the mechanic come to my house when it didn't start. It was the fuel pump. Now works fine. Classic fuel pump issue.
    Cost is about $750.
  • drtriderdrtrider Member Posts: 2
    that was my first thought...however, i just found out this car was getting hot the past few days. not actually getting in the red on the gauge, but climbing well beyond the 1/2 way mark (usually never exceeds 1/2 way). My concern is that what if theres some sort of safety issue that will basically "turn off" the fuel pump so the car doesn't actually terminally over heat? I realize we have an issue with the fuel pump not pumping, is there anything else we should test or examine to confirmthat the fuel pumpisn't "turnedoff" and maybe somehow needs to be reset? if this is even an issue, wouldit automatically reset once the heating issue is resolved?
    It sounds to me you also might have a thermostat problem, radiator problem(could be clogged), fan problem or a coolant problem. It could be as simple as your coolant is too diluted. I would talk with a GM mechanic on that one. That could be a real simple fix. I would doubt that the heat issue is affecting the fuel pump; especially since you had the fuel issue before the engine was running a bit warmer than normal.

My suggestion is that when you can't start the car next time you call the mechanic to come to your house to test the fuel pump. It's a very easy pressure test. Takes just a few minutes and it would be worth the extra expense. Beats being towed.
  • pudid03pudid03 Member Posts: 1
    Whitey69 was right on the money with the SECURITY FLASHING LIGHT on. I just went to play football (Colorado National Guard against local firefighters) and when I went to the parking lot to start my car it acted like I was out of gas. I had it tow home 20 miles. I am responding for two reasons, first Whitey69 just saved me a ton of money and secondly to let everyone know that Whitey69's reference was located on page 2-20 in the 2001 Alero owners manual under "Passlock"

WHITEY69 ROCKS!!!!
  • alero1alero1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Alero / 2.4. My wife started the car the other morning and drove 4 or so miles from work and the engine just shut down. No flashing lights. No check engine light. She tried to restart it. It acted like it was running on 1 or two cyls and then would die in a matter of seconds. When I got there it had been setting for about 30 minutes and I tried to start it twice. Same problem. The 3 rd time it started as if nothing had ever happened. Traveled another 2 or 3 miles and the same thing happened. This time I could never get it to start. Called a wrecker and had it towed to my house. Set it off of the wrecker and it started right up. I let it sit running at operating temperture for an hour and it never stopped. I took the ign mod off and had it checked. It checked out OK. Don't think it is the coil pack because it has been running perfest up to this point. Thinking maybe the problem is in the fuel reg, filter or fuel pump. Any thoughts or ideas on what to do would be greatly appreciated. This is my wifes car. She work nights at the hospital and she is now scared to drive it.
    The first thing I would suspect is the fuel pump with these symptoms.
  • alero1alero1 Member Posts: 2
    burdawg.
    Thanks for the response. I agree with you. A friend told me to spray a little starting fluid in the intake when it acted up again. If it starts and runs on the starting fluid then it is almost a sure thing that the pump is bad. I have also read that beating on the bottom of the tank is another way to tell if the pump is bad. That is assuming it starts and run after the beating. So when it stops again the beatings will begin. If that does not work then I will try a little of the starting fluid.
  • brassy76brassy76 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if there was a way to disable this feature/pain or identify the real problem and solution. It is frustrating when I am unable to get into my car and not be able to go somewhere quickly. This happened to me at least three times this week alone. Please help!