Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Can a dealership sell a car as new if it was damaged at the dealership prior to customer delivery?

Talan12Talan12 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2018 in Toyota
We ordered a new Avalon which arrived at the dealership one week ago. We went to look at it and were told that it still needed to be detailed. We made arrangements to take delivery the next day. Shortly after returning home, we received a call from the salesman that the dealership noticed a "small scratch" in the paint and that they had contacted Toyota to get it repaired prior to us taking ownership. It's now been a week and I'm concerned that it was more than a scratch. Can the dealership sell a car as new if it was damaged on their lot under their control? What documentation should I request to verify that it was only a scratch and not something more?

Answers

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    They should certainly show/explain to you what was done. If you're going to do it right, repairing a scratch in the paint so you won't see it and that will hold up the way it's supposed to IS going to take some time. The fact that it's been a week doesn't seem that unusual to me based on body work/painting I've had done over the years