Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BUYER BEWARE- All doors (including rear hatch on Q models) unlock when you place car in "PARK"

concernedmomconcernedmom Member Posts: 9
edited November 2018 in Audi
There is an extremely concerning safety issue that either no-one at Audi is either willing to address or cares to address. Having owned several Mercedes & BMWs prior, one would think that you would be able to program your new Audi to lock/unlock the doors you would like--with Audi (more sprecifically on my 2018 SQ5) this is not the case. No program or funtion allows you to do this. The dealer is aware, Audi USA is aware but they don't think its an issue.

Unfortunately in today’s times you can't be left in a compromising position of having your door locks (all of them including the rear hatch) automatically unlock when you simply place the car in “PARK”. If I’m at an ATM withdrawing cash, my focus is on executing the withdrawal accurately (not if my doors are all unlocked), when I park at the Supermarket for every day shopping, I simply place the car in “PARK” and all the doors unlock, at the local Mall, I simply place the car in “PARK” and all my doors unlock, when I pick up my children at a friends house late at night, I simply place the car in “PARK” and all my doors unlock, when I go to the Movies and finally find a parking spot, I simply place the car in “PARK and all my doors unlock and so on. Too often you hear horrifying stories about a solo driver having their doors unlocked and someone enters the car (need I continue the story). I’m sure this design was meant for convenience but the unintended consequence is absolutely frightening—Why doesn’t anyone at Audi take this seriously?? Will this take a tragedy for Audi to address?? Please ask your dealer and try before you buy. I am now stuck with a 3 year lease and Audi doesn't seem to care.