Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you considering a vehicle subscription service or did you previously consider one and decide against it? If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by 10/30 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

powertrain "whine"?

bcudabcuda petalumaPosts: 1
edited January 15 in Jeep
My daughter's AWD has developed a noise (whine?) - the pitch is directly proportional to the speed - indicating that it has to do with something in the "driven" part of the drivetrain. It doesn't change when shifting gears or engine RPM or steering position. I haven't started real troubleshooting yet, but suspect it might be the transaxle since the noise seems to be coming from the front and center. It seems unlikely to me that both wheel bearings would begin to fail simultaneously, but would like to hear if anyone else has had the same issue?

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,293
    Sound conducts through vehicles oddly at times, making it hard to pin down an exact location, so even it is a wheel bearing, it wouldn't necessarily have to be both. But given that the pitch changes with speed, I think that your suspicion of the transaxle might be justified. My experience with wheel bearing noise is that volume might increase as I turn and put more load on the culprit, but I wouldn't have described the sound as a "whine" most of the time.

Edmunds Moderator

Silver 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback & White 2019 Nissan Rogue S

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review