Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hitch carry weight

kenward42kenward42 Member Posts: 1
edited January 2019 in Honda
We recently purchased a 2018 Honda CR-V Touring model. I am a totally disabled male senior citizen, who wants to install a hitch carrier to our vehicle to haul my 167.5 lb power wheel chair. the hitch carrier that would work on our vehicle, with a swing-away feature weighs 120 lbs, which would bring the weight on the hitch to 287.5 lbs. But, I can't find any information from Honda engineering, that lets me know if the vehicle can handle that weight. The owner's manual is useless, stating that the maximum tongue weight is 10% of the towing weight which is only 1,500 lbs. So, according to that info the maximum hitch weight would be 150 lbs, which means I couldn't even stand on the hitch. That info just can't be right. I need info from a knowledgeable engineer to help me with this problem.

Comments

• StanSStanS Member Posts: 3
    Go to Honda.com, https://automobiles.honda.com/information/customer-relations
    Scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page and right in the middle you can click through to "Send an Email". It lists their Toll-free number: 1-800 999-1009.
    Click the email link and you'll have to go through a bit of a questionnaire (Name, email, phone VIN...), and then just Copy & Paste your question into where it says Description.
    After you do that, call them.