Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Stereo, iPod, CD, Bluetooth, Sat

Comments

• nearmspnearmsp Member Posts: 90
    I have a Nuvi 360 with bluetooth. I bought a $3 cable from Radio shack and connected one end to the aux port on the EXL and the other in to the Nuvi. I now have excellent bluetooth through the Car Speaker System. The microphone is on the nuvi. I switch from FM/CD/XM to Aux when an incoming call comes. I had problems getting it going initially. The sound would drop every minute or so. I finally figured out that if the cell phone is kept too close to the bluetooth device (in this case the Nuvi 360) then it creates problems. I now keep the cell phone in my front console and everything works fine.
  • cliffbcliffb Member Posts: 46
    Anyone know if it's possible to retrofit radio control onto steering wheel of '07 CRV -LX? Like EX has
  • mikala_sfmikala_sf Member Posts: 3
    1. Has anyone managed to successfully use the PC card slot with an adapter and a memory card (either CF or SD) to play music? If so, what brand/type of adapter did you use? I heard SanDisk adapters don't work so I'm very curious which have worked. What memory capacity did your card have?

2. I had a Parrot CK-3100 LCD installed in my 07 with Navi. We had it installed in the sunglasses holder. Can close the sunglass holder and it's hidden away (love that!). The microphone is just above the rear-view mirror. Works really well so far, cuts out music when a call comes in, lots of voice command options, syncs with your phone and then has all your contacts in it which you can voice-command call once you program it. Item + install was $610 in SF Bay Area. If you have any info about question #1 please let me know.
  • rage151rage151 Member Posts: 8
    My girlfriend ordered her 2007 CRV 4wd, w/Navi. She is really interested in a Bluetooth Kit to interface w/the factory Nav system. We know there are 3rd party units that attach to the dash, etc... But she wants a module that plugs into an AUX jack or something along those lines and operable via the OEM Nav system. Can anyone point us in the right direction?

Any and all help will be appreciated!
  • mgfarmermgfarmer Member Posts: 12
    Unfortunatly on the LX you cant add the radio controls to the steering wheels. Evidently the steeringwheel on the 07 LX was not prewired as it was in previous years.
  • oireachtasoireachtas Member Posts: 8
    I bought a scan disk 2g card from best buy and a 6 in 1 card adapter. Works great.
    Which brand card adapter did you buy??
    well, i went out and bought a san-disk 6 in 1 PC card adapter and a san-disk 2gb card. put about 400 songs on the card and it plays perfect. i'd heard the san-disk pc card adapters won't work but this one did so go figure.

one thing to note, with the 2gb card you can't simply put 400 songs on the card, they have to be in folders. i chose to make four folders and put about 100 in each. something to do with the way the card holds information.

also of note, you can make a playlist in itunes and then highlight the songs you want and drag and drop them into the folders you made on the san-disk card. i made a playlist with randomly selected 4 and 5 star songs.

once in the car you can set the card to play songs at random from all folders. cool!! i bought the 2gb card in a store so paid $25 but online they can come way cheaper. will consider more cards with more refined playlists in the future.
  • armandlevarmandlev Member Posts: 6
    Anyone know how to or has gotten an aftermarket piece that I can use in my new CR-V to change from XM to Sirius? I know you can do it with Lexus/Toyota, but am I able to do it in the new CR-V with navigation?
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    Just bought an 07 EX-L with Nav. I bought a Sandisk Compact Flash PC Card Adapter and a 4GB Sandisk Extreme III Compact Flash Card. The adapter can be found for about $15 at Best Buy, and I found the 4GB at Adorama Camera online for $75. There is a manufacturer's rebate for $30 good through May 31st, which brings it down to $45.

I was able to load about 980 songs on the card. 4GB is perfect for the 999 file limit that Honda imposes. I'm still trying to tweak how to best arrange the songs on the card in the folder. The great thing is that it will display the Artist, Title and Album name on the screen. That's just awesome!!

But I can tell you this. The sound quality is awesome!! It totally blows away using your iPod through the mp3 aux jack. This is pure uncompromised sound coming directly from your mp3 file to the stereo. For about $60, I essentially have a 4GB iPod equivilent loaded into my CRV.

Finally, the navigation of searching through the 999 files is great. There is a keyword search where you can type in a partial keyword and it will find all songs that match that keyword. Type in "MAD" and it will retrieve all your Madonna songs for example. Then, you can just select which song you want to listen to and it starts playing immediately. Once the Flash Card loads for the first time and reads the file structure, access to any and all the songs is instantaneous. No lag switching between songs.

If you love your music and can live with a 999 file limit, then the PC Card is your best solution to getting the best quality music and functionality out of the system. Leave your iPod at home!!
    I am really upset. I just found out that the 6 disc CD Changer not only won't play mp3/wma files, but it won't even play a CD-R CD. That is the most absurd thing I've ever seen. The stock unit in the other models have a built-in 6 disc changer that can play mp3 files. However, the only cd's you can put in the seperate changer in the center console is retail CDs. You can't even play CD-Rs in the unit.

This is not stated anywhere on their website or at the dealership. It's only stated in the manual. I feel like I've been cheated.

Does anyone know if you can swap out the Honda changer for an aftermarket brand that will play mp3 files??

Thank God the stereo system has the PC Card. At least I've got that working and have a 4GB card in there holding nearly 1,000 songs.
  • jcoryjcory Member Posts: 17
    RRBHokies -

I don't honestly know if this will work for your unit (my regular EX, no leather, no nav is coming in this week), but here's the experience that I had with a CD player I had that specifically said that it wouldn't play CD-R's...

Try different brands of CD-R's - I found with my CD player (which was an Alpine) that those CD-R's that were specifically "Music CD-R's" seemed to work a lot more consistently in my CD player. Additionally, better quality brands like Imation and Sony tended to work better than others, especially the non-branded "value" CD-R's from CompUSA, but YMMV. :)
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I am really upset. I just found out that the 6 disc CD Changer not only won't play mp3/wma files, but it won't even play a CD-R CD. That is the most absurd thing I've ever seen. The stock unit in the other models have a built-in 6 disc changer that can play mp3 files. However, the only cd's you can put in the seperate changer in the center console is retail CDs. You can't even play CD-Rs in the unit.

This is not stated anywhere on their website or at the dealership. It's only stated in the manual. I feel like I've been cheated.

Does anyone know if you can swap out the Honda changer for an aftermarket brand that will play mp3 files??

Thank God the stereo system has the PC Card. At least I've got that working and have a 4GB card in there holding nearly 1,000 songs.

Any CD player will play CD-Rs if they are quality blanks, properly burned and properly closed.

No commerical CD player that is not specifically designed to play CD-Rs will play CD-R's that are not closed. You have to make sure you close the burning session (e.g. no addidtional burns allowed after finishing) and make sure you use quality blanks. Taiyo Yuden, Ricoh... As long as it says on the box that they are made in Japan, you got quality blanks.
  • rage151rage151 Member Posts: 8
    The 4gb Flash card sounds alot better than several 750mb disks laying around!

Is anyone aware of an integrated Bluetooth solution? One that will interact w/the Navi and display call/phone on the screen?
    Agreed, the 4GB Flash Card is much better. In fact, I was just thinking about getting another 4GB card and then can just swap them out. I have a huge collection (30GB plus). Granted, I don't need all my music in the car, but 4GB pretty much stores all my 5 star music. I think I'll get another 4GB card for my 4 star music. Then, I'll use the single in-dash mp3 store current music.
  • bobsmith123bobsmith123 Member Posts: 6
    Honda offers bluetooth in the navi system for models sold in the EU. Details are at www.hondahandsfree.com or by going to one of the Honda EU sites such as honda.es or Honda.de. They do not offer bluetooth in any Honda for sale in the States. I think this is due to marketing, as they want you to buy the Acura instead. I believe Acura is a North America only product, they disable the bluetooth functionality in North American Honda models to try and up sell you to the Acura.

So bluetooth functionality is probably either already coded into the States navi firmware and has been disabled, or maybe it is not in there in which case maybe you could load the E.U. firmware version to get bluetooth.

The question is if all of the hardware needed (i.e. bluetooth RF transceiver and/or additional buttons on steering wheel) is in the States model or not. I have been trying to locate steering wheel pictures of an E.U. model CRV with navi to see if there are two additional steering wheel buttons or not. If they are required but missing from U.S. models then it obviously won’t work.

People have been hacking the navi system to change graphics, eliminate the warning screens, etc. Is there anyone out there who has the time to get in there and see if there is a region byte or something like that to enable bluetooth? Or look to see if there is a bluetooth code module in the U.S. firmware?

Honda should really consider selling bluetooth as an upgrade to the navi in the States. They already have the product developed and available for sale everywhere else. People in this forum are willing to buy aftermarket products to add bluetooth, so why would Honda not want to collect that revenue by selling a product they already have?
  • armandlevarmandlev Member Posts: 6
    For some reason, I copied all of my songs off my PC (I burned them originally into Itunes, then transferred onto PC from CD) but they are MPEG4. I copied them but PC card slot in CRV wont recognize any music on the card?

Anyone have an idea? DO i need to re rip all the CDs to the compact flash card? help.
    I looked at my iTunes directory and all my iTunes purchases are stored in mpeg4 format. That's iTune's format. You need to burn those to a CD, and then use another ripper (like Windows Media Player, Musicmatch Jukebox, etc.) to rip the cd back into .mp3 format. Then you can copy them to your flash card. It's a bit of a long, drawn out process, but that should work. If someone knows of a faster way, please post.
  • rkmagulurirkmaguluri Member Posts: 4
    i used a free software to convert i-tunes files into mp3.
    link title
    this is the site. software name is Free MP3 WMA converter.
    or You can google to find it.
    Its very simple. Copy the i-tunes to the PC and convert them into mp3.
  • stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    Thank you. I needed that help too.
  • howardt55howardt55 Member Posts: 4
    :confuse: What is the input jack at that location used for? I thought I can plug in my ipod to play the ipod through the audio system. When I plig in something into that jack all it does is silence the audio and the display changes to say "Auxiliary".
    What exactly are you plugging into the jack? If you are using an iPod, what kind of cable are you using? You should be using a stereo mini plug and connecting it from the jack in the CRV to the headphone jack of the iPod. Also, make sure the volume is turned up really high, otherwise you may not be able to hear it through the stereo. The first time I connected it, I had the iPod volume set very low and I had to turn the volume on the radio all the way to 40 to hear it.
    I am plugging in an ipod. The connection is between the ipod speaker jack and the crv auxillary input using stereo input cable. I'll try the volume however should this excessive volume setting be necessary?
    I'm not sure about necessary. However, on the plus side, setting the volume to max on the iPod shouldn't hurt the iPod, and it didn't seem to introduce any distortion when coming through the stereo's speakers. So, if it ends up working for you, then I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you still don't have any sound, or it's too low, then bring the CRV in to have the aux jack looked at. Good Luck
  • rsm333rsm333 Member Posts: 29
    This is what I did to solve this issue on my Fit Sport... it will solve the volume problem on your CR-V also..

After reading all the bad reviews, I decided not to get the Honda iPod Player when I purchased my Sport Auto. At first, I just plugged the 3.5MM mini jack cable into the Fit’s Aux port. I noticed that in order to get any sound, I had to really turn up the volume on the iPod and the Fit’s stereo. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Monster Cable iCarCharger. http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2132
    This thing has a mini-jack line output right on the charger’s dock connector and when I ran the cable from this connector to the Aux port, all the volume issues disappeared and the sound quality is noticeably better. You can buy these things for less than $30 and it is a great alternative to the Honda solution.
    You are absolutely correct. Me bad. My connector cable was the problem. When I used a good connector cable between the Aux input and the iPod, it works great!

:D
  • aamirmaamirm Member Posts: 1
    i have ordered hond crv diesel 2.2 executive model as i am living in austria without navigation system . i just need to know that which navigation with bluetooth is compatible with the audio system of this car in that way if a call comes the audio system turns off automatically , i will appreciate it if i can be assisted
  • surfaholic89surfaholic89 Member Posts: 1
    just wondering if anyone here has or has a link of the '04 honda crv EX speaker/headunit specifications (particularly their rms watts)

i believe my system sounds pretty good (after tweeking my amp enough) which consists of stock HU/speakers (the 4 door ones and 2 dash tweeters) and 2 12" rockford p2's in my trunk powered by a 450rms rockford amp.

what im trying to decide now is what to upgrade next but dont have much money left... im guessing if i just upgrade the speakers they will be way too underpowered but if i just upgrade the HU will the stock speakers handle the upgraded power?

again the specs on the OEM speakers/HU would be great if anyone knows!!! thanks!
  • kristinkkristink Member Posts: 1
    How does the iPod and Nav system look together? Is it an appealing interface? I am in the market to purchase the 07 EX-L w/ Nav, but I want to know how more about the iPod and Nav interaction. User friendly? Suggestions on cables? :confuse:
  • skisailskisail Member Posts: 1
    You may not see this if you posted so long ago, but does the CRV, I bought LX, have wires ready in the back for a subwoofer? I thought I read that somewhere, but cant remember where
  • ocotillo10ocotillo10 Member Posts: 3
    I'm new to this forum, so pardon me if this question has been asked before. I have a 2008 CRV LX with bluetooth (which I don't need right now). The button was installed where the factory 12V power outlet was in the lower front dash near the floor, and which I need desperately (to charge iPOD and cell phones). Is there an easy way for me to switch out the bluetooth button with the 12V power outlet (which I still have) without having to go back to the dealer? How do I get the small front dash cover off to do this?

- Ocotillo10
  • prasrinprasrin Member Posts: 1
    I am tryingto find if there is way to add Blue tooth functionality to my 2008 Honda CRV-EX-L NAV
  • gt_ae_86gt_ae_86 Member Posts: 2
    Since that item does no seem to be available any longer, would
    Monster MP3 MusicConnect™ Portable Audio Player to Car Stereo Cable (1/8 Mini to 1/8” Mini)
    work just as well - between iPod headphone output and CR-V auxiliary audio input jack?
  • april04rainierapril04rainier Member Posts: 1
    Did you have any luck installing an IPOD ready stereo in your CR-V? I wonder what brands to consider, my 2005 CRV stereo is not good......any suggestions?
  • medarameshmedaramesh Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought Honda CRV 2008 with navigation. Did any one tried installing bluetooth from Accord or Acura on to the CRV. and any sucess ? Please share with me. I am trying to find good bluetooth system that can be installed on CRV.
  • 24on48off24on48off Member Posts: 5
    I've read in the forums that music downloaded onto the flash card and played through the sound system (Nav. unit) sounds clearer than songs downloaded on a CD?

I'm having trouble figuring out what type of flash card I need for my 2008 CRV w/Nav, I can't find it anywhere in the owners manual.

I know it's not the "current" compact flash cards found in camera/audio stores, is it a PCMCIA card with a 68-pin connector? If so, what type do I need ( I, II, III )? Would the Nav. system accept a PCMCIA Adapter for use with a regular Compact Flash Memory Card? Others here have been using the 4GB card, is that the maximum the system accepts? Besides e-bay, where else can I get a good purchase price?

Those of you that use the card, any secretes as to how to arrange the files; alphabetical, by artist, by song?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confuse:
  • ellen826ellen826 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know which company made the radio that came standard on the 2005 CR-V?
    Does anyone know which company made the radio that came standard on the 2005 CR-V?

AFAIK, all of Honda radios in the US are from Matsushita Corp (Panasonic parent company)
  • mfrollinsmfrollins Member Posts: 1
    My 06 EXL has a XM ready radio, what do I need to install the adaptor. The dealer will install the XM part for $400 -- that is way too much for me. Any one out there have experience with aftermarket adaptors?? What will give me the best bang for my buck and do I need to install another antenna.

Thanks for your help
  • beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    How were you able to get Bluetooth?! I was told by the dealer that it was not available on the CRV. :confuse:
    My 06 EXL has a XM ready radio, what do I need to install the adaptor. The dealer will install the XM part for $400 -- that is way too much for me. Any one out there have experience with aftermarket adaptors?? What will give me the best bang for my buck and do I need to install another antenna.

Thanks for your help

I don't think there was EX-L in the US in 2006. There we LX, EX, and SE models. LX and EX come in 2WD and AWD, SE is always AWD. LX, SE and 2WD only come with automatic, EX AWD was available with manual.

There is a guy on ebay selling add-on XM receiver that also allows you to connect the iPOD.
  • paddyjaypaddyjay Member Posts: 1
    I have just upgraded from a 05 to an 08 both with leather. I had an aftermarket unit for my iPod that worked great in the '05 and now I want to put it in the '08. Silly question has any removed and'08 yet and where did you start. I can't see any screws, clips or button that I can get at to remove the face plate.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Purchase the Honda Ipod link for your 05 it works great and sits in in glove box. Dont use the FM transmitter if you dont have to they are ok but not without issues. Good Luck MNF
  • ec5cec5c Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a CR-V with the Navi and the PC card slot. I put an old PCMCIA Adapter in it that already had an I've been using a 2GB Secure Digital Card.
    So far it has been great, the files do have to be either MP3 or WMA. I also read in the Navigation System Manual that Compact Flash works but the system was never tested with a card larger than 2GB.

Hope this is helpful :shades:
  • kiran23kiran23 Member Posts: 4
    I am using a 4GB Sandisk Ultra II compact flash card and have about 7 folders on the card with about 40 songs each. All songs are in MP3 format. For some reason, it skips over many of the songs depending on what mode I am in. The songs show up on "track list" but for example, they will play in artist mode but not folder mode. Also, when I choose to play in random folder mode, it still randomly selects songs from ALL my folders. Have you had any issues like this? I was thinking I am having this problem b/c my card size is too large but it sounds like you have been able to use a 4GB card without any problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Bought the Honda iPOD integration unit from Crutchfield.

Installation was a breeze.

Remove the bezel

Remove Radio

Unplug the old XM cable

Plug the new cable with piggyback connector.

Mount the unit on the passenger side of the glove box.

Run the iPOD cable through the back of the cubby under the radio

And you are done!!!

The unit allows you to control the iPOD through the stock steering wheel controls on the EX and SE, and from the radio on all models.

If anyone is interested, I have a $20 off first purchase code.
  • tdiidmantdiidman Member Posts: 35
    Three questions: (1) When an iPod is plugged (via the earphone jack) into the jack in the center console, does it charge the iPod? (2) If not, what are the options for in-car charging of the iPOD, and (3) Is there a way of transfering music from an iPOD (or from my iTunes library on my home computer) to a digital audio card that can be inserted in the slot behind the nav screen? Thanks for any info anyone can provide?
  • itsmecissyitsmecissy Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I was told the same thing and this has been the most disappointing thing about my CR-V. Is there some kind of add-on we can buy. I have the Bluetooth ear piece but don't like wearing it. :mad:
  • itsmecissyitsmecissy Member Posts: 3
    Me too!!! I can't believe a Saturn comes Bluetooth compatible but my new CR-V does not. Does anyone have an answer?
  • brunomaxbrunomax Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a CR-V ( May 2008), model ADVANCE that includes bluetooth-Nav-....
    The issue I'm experienced is that when my mobile is connected to the car I cannot access from the car to my phone list on the phone, than the bluetooth is only for receiving calls not to place a call to anyone of my phonelist.
    To make a call from the car I need to memorize one by one ( only 30 names total are accepted...very few) the names and numbers into the car and then I can call using vocal dialing.
    There is a way to make the call using the phone and then automatically the call pass to the car as is connected via bluetooth?...or there is a way to access to the phone phonelist vis touch screen??
    Thanks a lot for any help