Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Prius Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    One surprising feature of the 'fun' part of driving the Prius is that it is the fastest vehicle 'off the line' of just about any other. Now that being said if someone say in an S2000 really wanted to smoke their tires and beat me.. they might ;) . But for most other V8's, V6's, BMW's, trucks, SUV's you name it, the Prius is almost always first to go...then it just goes faster. One cool feature seldom mentioned is coasting at 65 mph past, say a 'less' efficient vehicle, with the MFD showing 80-99+ mpg.

It does drift as posted by another above and that's about the only part of driving it I don't like. With new tires and the BT brace it might be more stable.

The part I like best now after 10.5 months and 30,600 miles is... the seating. It's much more comfortable than the four previous Camry's I had.

Summary to date: 30,600 miles since 11-30-05
    Fuel : 630 Gal, Cost $1649
    Oil/filters : 6 changes, Cost $0
    Avg FE : 48.6 mpg or 2.06 GPC
    Tire rotations: 5 rotations, Cost: $94
    Air Filter : 1 @ $42
    Engine Flush : 1 @ $94
    Blown Tire : 1 @ $90

Total cost of maintenance: $1969
    Cost / mi : $0.064 /mi
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    "...the hybrid tax credits are now in effect and hybrids are affordable to folks like me."

There's no proof that that is true. How do you know the manufactures wouldn't have lowered thier MSRP's in the absence of the credits?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    I think riposte has hit the nail on the head. Most peopel who buy a Prius are really stretching their budget to buy one and can only do so with the government tax credits and other incentives. Face it, the Prius is a very expensive economy car and is not affordable by a lot of people. it can only be classified as an economy car because it gets great gas mileage and certainly not its MSRP and if kept 3 -5 or more years it becomes somewhat economical. From a true TCO there are a lot less expensive cars to own and operate over a 5 year period of time, including may used cars.

Cheers,

MidCow
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Hold on fellas - let's not make too many assumptions about "overpriced" Priuses....

The last I checked, the average US new car price was around $28,000. You can get a dang well loaded Prius for below that price.

So if a Prius costs less than the "AVERAGE" US new car, how can that be classified as an expensive car?

Wouldn't only cars that cost MORE than the AVERAGE price be in the category of "expensive?"
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Average selling price according to Edmunds in CA #6 package Prius $31,805. Add tax and license and you are just over $35k. MSRP is $29,415. Toyota may have cut costs on the hybrid. It has not shown up on the selling price.

It will be interesting with the tax break cut in half and the HOV stickers gone, how long the Prii sit on the lots at those prices.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Better check these forums for prices paid. ;)

35K is more than I have seen Highlander Limited Hybrids bought for, as posted here....
    Oh, that's an easy question to answer! Would you consider a MINI Cooper "expensive"? I sure would, even though the actual dollar amount isn't usually much greater than $28K.

The question isn't whether the Prius is "expensive", but rather "What would it cost if there weren't tax credits available for it?" Let's face it: Manufacturers are in the business of making money. If the Guvmint is going to essentially subsidize the price, they're going to leave it as high as they possibly can.

On a non-related Prius topic, has anyone driven a Touring model yet? I rented a Prius back in 2004, and, from a handling dynamic perspective, it was the most soulless, least engaging automotive experience I've ever had. In addtion, it had a suspension that always seemed a 1/2 step behind what it was travelling over, and on top of that, it felt like I was driving a sailboat when I hit crosswinds, and I was very unimpressed. This was disappointing, because I REALLY wanted to like it.

I'm hoping that the Touring edition will address these problems...then maybe I'll purchase one.
  • quasar4quasar4 Member Posts: 110
    I'll accept those answers...I won't necessarily agree, but I'll accept them.

Movin' on...
  • michaeltnevillmichaeltnevill Member Posts: 2
    my 2006 prius shakes when the gas engine shuts down, after initially starting up,i asked a toyota service mgr. and he said this is common and goes away when the engine warmes up. does anyone out there have this trouble? i would appeciate a response-thank you-michaltneville@comcast.net
  • ericbigwongericbigwong Member Posts: 7
    We took posession of our Prius 3 days ago and we almost had an accident in the parking lot.

Putting the car in reverse resulted in unexpected loud beeping. This was highly distracting and annoying and we almost ran into a car as a result.

When I talked to the dealer, he said it was a "safety feature" ... which is kind of odd since it almost cause me an accident.

Here are the supposed to be explainations:

1. The bleeping is to warn you that you are backing up, even though, (a) I specifically put the car in reverse, (b) the reversing camera came on automatically and (c) there is no question the car is moving backward. So adding the annoying beep makes no sense.

2. Unlike large commerical vehicle, which beeps *outside* to warn people aorubd it that it is backing up, the beeping of the Prius is only inside in the passenger cabin (mostly with the window closed!)

3. I have both a Camry (4 years old) and a Highlander (1 year old) and neither of them has this 'feature'.

Basically, I have no idea how the distracting beep can add to safety.

Anyway, there is a way to turn off this totally bogus 'safety' feature except the dealer will not do it for legal reason. Off the record, the dealer told me to look up how to do it on the web.

Another gripe .... I find the GPS GUI to be very confusing. I had a Garmin GPS before and it was totally plug and Play. With the Prius, there are a lot more features but I had a hard time doing simple and very basic thing like banging in an address and getting it to take me there. The manuals are not much help. It is badly organized and it does not even have an index.

Otherwsie ... the car is great.
    Well, the older we get, the longer it takes us to adapt to new things.... :P
    I agree that the beeping seems pretty useless, but please accept responsibility for almost getting into the accident; YOU are responsible for maintaining control the vehicle. If you were uncomfortable attempting to back up, it was YOUR responsibility to not do so.
  • ericbigwongericbigwong Member Posts: 7
    > If you were uncomfortable attempting to back up,
    > it was YOUR responsibility to not do so.

I am indeed uncomfortable backing up from tight spot in a busy shopping mall when being continuously distracted by the loud beeping sound. It drives up my blood pressure. On the other hand, even if I am not comfortable, I really have no option unless I am willing to abandon the car!
    I wish there is a switch to turn that off ... and I consider the default beeping to be not only an annoyance but a safety issue.
    Well, since it's the American Way, you can always get a shyster, and sue. :P
  • quasiactuaryquasiactuary Member Posts: 50
    There is a way to turn off the reverse beeping. I just did it last night. Do an internet search on "prius reverse beeping" and you should have no problem getting instructions on how to do it.

(just don't try to sue me if you get into an accident because the beeper didn't warn you were in reverse ;) )
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    My son bought a Prius last July. I don't find the reverse beeper all that bothersome.

I can see why Toyota included it -- at low speeds, only the electric motor could be running (almost silently), PLUS it has that funky electronic gearshift which physically returns to neutral as soon as you release it.

Seems like it would also be a good idea for the beeper to be heard outside the car, so pedestrians would be aware of the otherwise silent car.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Unfortunatly, Toyota has the Prius beeping -inside- the car only. While I -could- live with that, it's just silly. I'll be turning mine off, when I get my car.
  • dykemadykema Member Posts: 2
    Search the web. There are directions on how to disable the really irritating reverse beeper.
    OR.....any dealer would be happy to do it for you. ;)
  • vu2000vu2000 Member Posts: 58
    I just bought a Prius 3 days ago. I find the reverse beeper helpful not annoying. The shifter is much different than a regular car, I find this beeping noise helpful reminding me that the car is in reverse :) . Still on my first tank of gas. I would love to get 44mpg(per Consumer Report) or better on average with this baby.
  • rosi02rosi02 Member Posts: 3
    I'm sure lots of you have heard accolades like this before, but after 20 months and 63,000 miles I have to say it: The Toyota PRIUS is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned!
    It has simply been an awesome car. Comfortable with lots of room, fun to drive, and as reliable as they come. I drive 63 miles to work one way each day of the work week. And then when I get home, my wife often takes it to run errands. She thinks it's fun to drive, but also loves the fuel economy. She drives a Mercury Mountaineer daily, and although she likes it, she is fond of the Prius and all it has to offer. Often the only time the car is sitting is when we are sleeping.

Purchased my Prius in March of 2005, and besides the usual maintenance and tires, all I have had to do to it is purchase 1 tail light bulb for $2.19! I call that awesome. Compare that to the 2003 Chevy Silverado I purchased new and then had to put new brakes and rotors on a couple months ago, and also a whole new instrument panel since the speedometer went out - a total cost of $900, all within a 3 week period.

The Prius is absolutely a wonderful car. Only 1 major complaint and 1 minor one. Major: I am on my 3rd set of tires at 63,000 miles - and soon to purchase my 4th set. I have always gone with the original Goodyear Integrity as replacements. Someone told me to try Michelin, as they will last longer. So may do so on my next round. But am not thrilled I am going thru so many tires.

Minor complaint: every time I try to touch the volume control mounted on the dash for the radio, I accidently touch the scan button and it changes the station - slightly irritating. I have learned to use the volume on the steering will to prevent it.

The only worry I have is that I will max out the batteries in the next 18 months and have to purchase new - a major expense.

By the way, I simply love the stability control on this car. My 63 mile drive to work is 95% freeway, and I often get in close calls with stopped traffic due to wrecks etc. It has prevented me from sliding into someone in the next lane numerous times. I can see why the government wants to make stability control a law by the end of the decade. It is definitely going to save lives.

A last footnote: my kids love this car, and their friends think we are the hottest!
    Don't worry about the traction battery. It should last for many years - and is warranted for 7 years and 10 years in California. The 12 V battery is the one that fails. Just make sure you don't run out of gas and don't leave a door open - especially the rear hatch. Having the interior light on overnight can greatly shorten the life of the 12 V battery.
  • rosi02rosi02 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the tip. In Ohio, the batteries are guaranteed for 8 years or 100,000 miles. That's my worry, I will hit 100k within the next 18 months at the rate I am going. Have researched the battery life on the internet, the conventional wisdom out there says the batteries will last to 120,000 to 140,000 miles. That's why Toyota can guarantee them for 100,000. That leaves them a good buffer. However, that is still a concern for me since I will hit it within 2 yrs. on the outside.

As for leaving he interior lights on or door open - YES - I had experiene with that one. Only had my Prius about 4 months when I parked at work one morning, and when I hit the power button to shut if off I must have hit it twice, and it went to Accesories mode instead of power off. Heard a beep warning when I got out of the car, but ignored it. Came out at end of the day to drive home and my batteries were dead. Had to jump it with another car - BE CAREFUL - this takes a certain procedure - see your manual. You must atach the jump cables to special clips in a small access box under the hood and the manual warns to use caution, otherwise you can harm the battery or car. But following this procedure, it started right up and the batteries recharged fully within 30 minutes of driving home. Have not had any trouble since, but am careful to shut the car off fully when I press the power button now.
  • cbadcarcbadcar Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the 2007 Prius. I think I really like it. Unfortunately it is extremely painful for me to drive. I do not wat to spend 3000 dollars on seat cushions per other posts regarding the concrete like seats. There is obviously no support to my legs. I am very young, weigh about 105, and am 5 ft tall and have no istory of any back, or leg problems. I have been suffering from intense bottom, leg and now back pain after driving 15 miles to work-less than 80 miles on the car. Ready to sell unless it can be resolved. Suggestions? Help?
    You are aware that there are Prius taxis out there with over 250,000 mi on them? I think the battery wear is more time than mileage affected. At any rate, a new traction battery is around $2000. The fear mongers would have you believe that when it fails it costs more than the car! You can even get used ones (from Prius written off in accidents) for less than $1000.
    The Obus Forme seat cushions I've seen are less than $200. You might want to try them. You can even get them with heaters!
    I have no idea if this is any good, and I have no experience with the website, but I noticed something called a "Revolver Cushion" at the below website. It's about 2/3rds of the way down.

Revolver Cushion

Also, I've read of folks tilting their seat up with a stack of washers. I have no personal experience with that approach, but it might be interesting.
  • lutzfernandezlutzfernandez Member Posts: 7
    After such a short time I would not assume it is the car. Back pain can come from many sources. Try the cushions suggested by others here; also ask the dealer for advice. But you should also consider whether you hurt your back some other way such as moving furniture or exercising and the car seats are just aggravating a condition or injury caused by something else.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Just to add my 2 cents regarding safety. The automakers generally recommend against using cushions on top of the seat, because it can lead to improper seat belt positioning and/or the untoward motion of the lower body in the event of a frontal crash.

On the passenger side, such cushions can also interfere with the occupant sensing device, which turns the passenger frontal airbag on or off depending on weight on the seat.

I'd try adjusting the seat and steering column as much as possible before giving up, although I realize the Prius driver seat has no height adjuster.
  • philmophilmo Member Posts: 77
    I'm going to take a guess in the other direction -- that the seat is too high. In which case there's not much you can do about it. Having your legs hang off the end of a seat that cuts into mid-thigh can cut off circulation. (Like a long ride on an old ski lift.) One idea may be to put down some kind of pad or mat for your resting (left) leg to give it some relief. But, geez, be sure to use something that is flat, doesn't scoot around and doesn't get in the way of any controls. Good luck!
  • akollerakoller Member Posts: 15
    I am the new owner of a red 2007 Prius with package 2 (single CD, no satellit radio) and need help to decide how to upgrade for at least XM radio, maybe with a new 6-CD changer if that's available. I asked the dealer when I bought the car, but they don't seem to know about the options.

One source I found is Factory Interactive, offering an XM kit that integrates directly with the existing radio and Multi-Function Display (MFD). That sounds like a tuner and software solution that might be a good compromise.

Does anyone have experience and advice to share please? Does Toyota sell any replacement hardware for upgrades like this?

Thanks!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Congratulations on your new ride!

You might want to ask about the XM kit in the Toyota Prius: Audio System Questions discussion.
    Done! Thanks; I appreciate the reply.
    Yes actually. toyota on it's website states that the batteries should 'last the life of the vehicle'. In their bench testing they stopped at 180,000 miles which was 20% longer than the longest warranty period. When they stopped testing they noted no deterioration in the performance of the battery pack.

I like you do a huge amount of miles a year, 36000-40000 so I plan to drive it well into it's 6th year and 250K miles.

In opposition to your experience with the tires, at 36000 miles and one year I note that they still have significant tread left on the Goodyears. I'm guessing that I can go up to 45-50K on them which would be nice. When they do go I will go with Michelins also.

Ditto on the lack of maintenance. Oil and filters for the ICE every 5K miles plus I did an engine flush of my own volition plus an air filter at 25K... otherwise nothing. And the oil/filers are free at our store.
    In regard to those who don't see significant savings with the Hybrid, versus the perceived extra cost, what do you estimate your gas savings/maintenace costs to be for the first year, to be :confuse:
    Preface: I normally only purchased pre-owned certified vehicles in the past. I feel that you get the best value for the buck with them. However there were no Certified Prius' available in Nov '05 when I decided to insure against a catastrophic increase in fuel. I was paying $255/mo on the 2000 CE Camry ( basic ) with 36 mo's to go. The Prius was going to be $390/mo. Net difference for 3 yrs was going to be $135/mo or $1620 / yr

Fuel based on 36000 miles and rounding for simplicity
    2000 Camry @ 30 mpg = 1200 gal
    2005 Prius @ 48 mpg = 750 gal
    Net savings in Year 1 is 450 gal x $2.50 = $1125

Insurance was ~ $100 higher on the new Prius vs the 2000 Camry but it was balanced out by oil/filters free for life on the Prius at about $25/visit x 7 visits a year. There was no maintenance on the hybrid system, none is needed. The only maintenance that's needed is on the ICE. Then wear items, although brakes may last well above 100,000 miles given that it's a hybrid and my particular driving. A wash

So the difference in cost annually is about $500 between the 2000 CE Camry and a 2005 Prius.

But.. the Prius came with Side and Curtain Airbags, ABS/VSC/Trac, SKS ( great feature ), a better sound system even though it still the basic one, and much more comfortable seating ( for me ). For $500 annually it is worth every penny of the difference since I'm on the road for 36000 miles.

Subsequently I found that I like the way the Prius handles much better than that Camry, it's quicker in traffic and it turns more precisely.

Finally, I am all for promoting the advancement of anything that is more efficient and reduces the flow of money to the MidEast; I enjoy the fact that the Prius is one of the cleanest vehicles ever made; I want to encourage the production of more technologically advance means of transport.

A diesel hybrid that can use biofuel made locally will be my ideal vehicle in the future.
    Good to hear. :)

I wouldn't even factor in the increased monthly payment, for that would be true buying any new vehicle, as would increased insurance. Less fuel used, less maintenance = savings.
    I've had this car for 36 hours and 125 miles on city streets, freeways and mountain roads up to 8000 ft. I don't see how this vehicle is going to save me money on fuel as I'm looking for any excuse to take it out on drives ;-)

By opting-up from package #2 to #4 I was able to get the color I wanted a month early but am pleased to note that all upgrades are useful and worthwhile to the extent that I'm now shopping for a Bluetooth-enabled phone. (How's that for a halo-effect. Maybe the phone folks should be sending checks to Toyota.) HID headlights and foglights? Stellar. 6-CD changer? Already stuffed. Security system? I hope I never need it. HomeLink and auto-dimming mirror? Programmed and ready to go.

My only nit so far is that I'm having a hard time finding a comfortable seating position. If they put out a 6/8/9 way seat or a telescoping steering wheel next year I'm gonna be bummed. I'm 5'9" with arms a bit on the short side (32" sleeves on better fitting shirts), and am getting a bit of pain at the base of my neck between the shoulder blades reaching for the wheel while having my legs and knees where I want them.

Nothing to reliably report on the fuel consumption yet as the car is simply too new. However, over the holidays I expect to be taking it out on a 1500 mile round trip, weather permitting.

Some social observations: On the freeway up I-70 west out of Denver today some guys in a Ford F150 were cracking up as I passed them on the right on a stretch where the weaker cars typically die. At least they had a sense of humor. And in a relatively empty parking lot this morning someone with the identical vehicle made a point of parking next to me.

Next steps -- get the girl some foundation, as in bra. They don't call 'em the Rockies for nothing.
    By the way, I should add that if it weren't for the beeping reverse I would have backed into a brand new FJ-50 being prepped for it's new owner at the dealer when I picked up my car. It's not that loud but for me definately useful. Otherwise, it would have been a Homer Simpson "doh!" moment.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Congrats on your new ride! 36 hours is pretty darn new :P

Keep us posted on how things go!
  • allargonallargon Member Posts: 75
    I bought a blue 2007 Prius Touring Model with Package #4 (no models with nav units on the lot). The dealer added leather seats and simulated wood grain to the instrument panel and doors.

The Bad

The car drives okay. It's definitely better than most economy class 4 cylinder cars. However, it's definitely not a speed demon. It's not an agile handler, either.

I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE the stereo in this car. This JBL system is worse than the AC Delco system I had in my 1994 Grand Am. :mad: I'm not Toyota bashing for I know that Lexus bundles outstanding sound systems.

The rear visibility is horrible. Even with the backup camera there are sometimes awful blind spots on the driver's side. This is a major issue when switching lanes as well as backing up.

Fit and finish are just average on this car. There are quite a few hard plastics hidden around.

There is a TON of wind noise and road noise audible in the cabin. It's not just because the engine is so quiet.

The rear bumper is made of a somewhat flimsy plastic that scratches easily. I know Toyota designed it to be lightweight to increase mileage. Carbon fiber panels would be tough and lightweight but would make the Prius a bit out of the reach of many.

The car is safe for its occupants thanks to its crumple zones and airbags, but I have a feeling any accident will total the car or result in very, very extensive and expensive repairs.

It's not the best looking car on the planet. No one would accuse it of being a beauty queen. I knew that going in. I'm just stating the obvious. Hatches routinely battle car-based SUV's as the ugliest vehicles sold in the US.

I will add the nonexclusivity. (In fairness, it's a Toyota not a Buggatti!) When Prius' first arrived, they were rare. I'm the only person at my office with one. However, when I pull up to the local Whole Foods...

It's not a luxury car, but no way could I see myself letting anyone other than the dealer's service dept. touch it even after the warranty expires.

The good

I love the gas mileage and the quiet engine.

I love the tech. The Bluetooth and the backup camera are swell and amaze people. (Those are pretty much standard on any luxury car.)

I love the interior room. Too many people mistakenly compare the Prius with the Yaris or the Civic. It's a midsized hatch. It should be compared with the Malibu Maxx, Passat wagon, Subaru Outback, etc. (no Camry wagons in the States)

I love the little storage spaces. It has five spaces as opposed to one within the armrest. I love the TWO glove compartments! I love the cupholders and the bottle holders.

I love the utility of this hatch. Some seats fold backwards. Some seats fold forwards.

The HomeLink garage opener is great. EVERY manufacturer offers that these days. However, it's still great!

The resale value is outstanding.

I love the steering wheel mounted controls. Nearly every car has volume controls in the steering wheel except the base subcompacts. The temperature and defogger controls are a great touch of class that shows attention to detail. It's not as nice or luxurious as the controls from Lexus, Infiniti or Cadillac, but it's superb for a mass market car.

The stares--okay not so much anymore--Prius' have been around for awhile. However, it's still a non-luxury yuppie car. People know you paid a premium. Honestly, I would pay $10k more for a Prius re-badged as a Lexus with a better sound system and heated/ventilated seats!
  • allargonallargon Member Posts: 75
    I should have said that I have package #3 (HI) since I have the Touring model! (I bought the most loaded car on the lot! Most dealers in Austin didn't even have cars on the lot. They just said come in order one, pay MSRP plus a dealer premium. I lucked out (or up depending on your part of the country) finding a Touring on the lot.

One other bad thing to note is that the car doesn't appear to have a telescoping steering wheel (unusual for a Toyota).
  • markusmannmarkusmann Member Posts: 10
    So after gas guzzling in sport cars and SUVs we purchased our first hybrid almost a month ago here in Southern California. The black 2007 Prius #5 (Navigation, bluetooth and leather) is truely awesome. I am not comparing the driving experience with my previous sports coupe, it's a different type of car. But this nimble little thing does the job so well. I am averaging 48 mpg and I spend about 50% on highway and 50% in city stop and go.

The real pluses are:
    - the stearing wheel controling everything I need
    - the bluetooth phone usability which is a fantastic safety for me (as phone calling while in the car is my one way of keeping in touch with people)
    - I was a real fan of the Infiniti navigation system. The map in the Toyota isn't as nice, but when you use the navigation for directions the way it shows you how to plan your driving is amazing.
    - the noise (or lack there of), my prius is so quiet. Love it.
    - the MPG. Wow!
    - I love the idea of talking to the car. Now I just need to learn how to. Again, all about safety.

The not so good stuff:
    - it's not a great driving experience. The steering is direct, but the handling leaves much to be wanted. I've adapted my driving now and I am probably a lot safer driver now that I was in the sports coupe, which makes my wife happier - even thou she did love borrowing the coupe at times herself.
    - the front seats, sigh, it's not easy finding a good driving position. I had similar problems as others in finding a position that was comfortable. I felt myself stiffening up when driving to and from work the first week. Spent a good hour trying to find a better position, and finally did. The trick I did was to have a much more upright sitting position for my back. That way I could have more distance for my legs and not have to reach for the steering wheel. I miss somewhere to rest my elbow against.
    - the audio preset, you have to spend some time setting the correct audio for the "high end" JBL system. It can sound a lot better than the factory settings do.
    - Homelink doesn't allow me to program the garage door opener. I can on other car brands, but not the Toyota. Weird and annoying.
    - the trunk size is pretty limiting. I end up needing to stick stuff into the cabin by folding the backseat.

We've found this to be a life style changing choice. So much that we are looking at trading our Toyota Sequoia for a Lexus RX400h. Go hybrids!!
    Check the Homelink website. There are some tricks they give for making it work. ;)
  • markusmannmarkusmann Member Posts: 10
    Yeah, I thought of that too. But no. Since I am in an apartment building I can't do the work on the "other end" which is the recommended "work around".
    What worked for me, was hitting some button on the side of the opener, which with units with "rolling codes" makes the unit run through them all, I guess. I had to hit the button on the side of the unit, and then dash back to the car, and run the programming sequence again.....
    After two weeks of having more fun with a new car than I've had in about 10 years, my wife decided to play Santa (hooray!) and bought me an XM kit from CoastalETech. They're about 40 miles down the road, and two days after we bought the kit it showed up on the porch, ready for installation. I have to wait though; Christmas is still a week away, and I can't find the package in the pile of stuff awaiting the BIG DAY.

I am really enjoying my red 2007 package 2 and appear to be getting about 50 mpg so far. I bought from a local dealer -- David Maus Toyota in Sanford, Fl, and feel I was treated right.

Most of all, I am truly enjoying learning all the new features and exchanging information with people who like their new cars. I look forward to sharing lots of fun activities and will post when something worth sharing comes along.

BTW, I have added a set of Weatherflex window guards ($101 delivered) and made a good choice on those. In Florida it stays warm most of the year and rains whenever it decides to do that. It's sure nice to be able to leave the windows down enough to ventilate the car without worrying about getting it soaked in one of the "toad stranglers" we get around here.

Merry Christmas everyone; safe driving and saving money is fun!

Al Koller
  • texvegastexvegas Member Posts: 17
    Let all of us know how easy or difficult it was to install the XM from Coastaltech. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas too!
    texvegas...2004 Silver.
  • orchardptorchardpt Member Posts: 1
    Driving on the reserve tank, we hit a rather severe bump in the road and the VSC warning notice came on. The battery began discharging rapidly. Pulled into a gas station and put in 9.5 gallons of the 11.8 capacity. On restart, the car was fine although the battery took about 4 minutes to recharge. What happened?
    Sounds like you had two problems at the same time. You were nearly empty and "running on fumes". When you hit a bump sometimes one wheel lifts off the ground and the VSC is triggered. That shock to the system may have caused enough of an event that the low fuel stopped being picked up, triggering the self protection mode Prius has built in.

With the ambient temps being low now the fuel tank bladder may not let you put in the full 10 gal the tank holds, so your fill of 9.5 was probably a "full tank".

Because you can never be sure how much fuel is in the tank due to the bladder, it's always a good idea to fill up at or before the "low fuel" light.