Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Torque Converter, Bad Gas, Injectors, Spark Plugs oh my - 14 months of headaches

DuemesDuemes Member Posts: 1
edited March 2019 in GMC
Let me preface this discussion that it’s my hope that someone at GM will see this and open a dialog with me on what is going on with my vehicle. I have an open case with GM but haven’t heard from anyone

In March 2014 my wife needed a vehicle for our growing family. At that time we had a 2 year old and a 3 year old and when it was time to purchase we had no doubts it was going to be a GM. GM has been in our family with over 15 family members working for GM - starting with my wife’s late grandfather - worked for GM for more than 25 years, her father for more than 20 years. All service was performed by GM even though my father owns a Goodyear dealership because I felt that if anything was ever to go wrong - I didn’t want my father to be involved. From oil changes to getting a new wheel because of a bent frame, to brakes and routers - GM was servicing the vehicle

It all started New Year’s Eve (12/31/2017) of 2017. I can recall the day. We were driving to Ocean City and the truck seemed to slip in gear - i referred to as your tires slipping on ice

I made an appointment with Fred Beans on Jan 5, 2018 when the vehicle had just over 77700 miles - the service department wasn’t able to reproduce the issue. I asked if they wouldn’t mind going out for a drive so I can share what I was experiencing. We went out and the service manager said the issue I was referring to was the torque converter

When we returned he scheduled an appt for the following week - Appt came and I dropped it off on Jan 10th. Service was suppose to have it for just a day but had to order another torque converter so pick up was delayed till Jan 11th. I picked up the car the evening of Jan 11th

A few weeks went by and I started to notice the issue and called to schedule an appointment with Fred Beans - appointment was set for February 13th. I received a phone call from Ken (service manager) to stated that there were multiple misfires and carbon build up was the cause and the coils needed to be cleaned. Ken explained that this happens when I’m not using top tier gas and shared a copy of the gas stations that he recommended. That evening, I picked up the vehicle and reluctantly paid the $213 for the service that was performed.

Another month went by and I again noticed the issue occured - I again scheduled a service appointment for APril 2nd, but this time Fred Beans wasn't able to reproduce the issue.

I finally called GM and complained and eventually brought it to Coleman GMC. They confirmed the issue while I was testing driving the car and they start swapping injectors and spark plugs and finally made the decision that new injectors are needed. Thankfully that was covered under the extended warranty that I purchased so out of a $1400 bill I paid $100 (my deductible)

Left there and the issue occurred shortly after I left (couple days or so).

Went back in June and reported the issue again and they finally replaced all spark plugs and for the most part the issue went away.

I felt this shuddering when I would drive it and this past week when I drove it I felt it even more. So last week I scheduled a service call and this morning i dropped it off. I also needed them to look a left rear nail that was in the tire. Megan the service advisor called me this afternoon and advised that they were able to replicate the issue and the torque converter needed to be replaced. Knowing that the torque converter was replaced (twice), stating it was the carbon build up due to the wrong gas used, swapping injectors, replacing injectors, swapping spark plugs, replacing spark plugs that the torque converter just didn’t seem to be the issue. Why would a new torque converter fix this issue?!

Received a phone call from Megan pretty late in the day to say that the shop foreman took it for a drive and confirmed that the torque converter would need to be replaced but they took the issue to GM and they said they’ll replace the transmission - they’ll pony up 50% and I’ll need to pony up 50% - my out of pocket would be roughly $3800 but I’ll have a three year warranty or 100k mile warranty. 7,600 to replace a transmission?? What!!!If I didn’t want that they’ll offer $2500 incentive towards a new car.

So that’s where we’re at - new car or new transmission???