Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Honking or flapping wind noise near lower left windshield

DeepspringerDeepspringer Posts: 3
edited April 17 in Chrysler
This topic has been discussed before as a problem with the seal between the "A" doorpost and the windshield. In my case, that wasn't the problem, but close. The symptoms were almost the same: at speeds above 55 mph I'd hear an annoying sound like something flapping in the wind inside the left air vent near the windshield.

I found that the problem was caused by a missing piece of black rubber or plastic outside the car just in front of the left lower corner of the windshield. The 5 inch long crack/hole left by this small missing piece caused a low flapping sound from the wind at speeds over 55 mph. I fixed it by sandwiching two pieces of tape to plug the crack/hole between the upper left front fender and the long black plastic outside panel under the whole windshield. (The wipers' elbows go through this panel.)

To fix it, I first fastened about a 7 inch piece of duct tape under the hole to fill the crack with the adhesive facing up. One edge of the tape is fixed to the under-edge of the black panel, and the other edge is fixed to the under-edge of the adjoining fender. Then I used black electrical tape on top of the duct tape, with adhesive side down onto the adhesive of the duct tape, to hide the fix. Result: filling the crack/hole with tape stopped the deep-throated whistling or flapping noise. This fix may be temporary, but it has stopped the noise for now.

I took a picture to post here, but this posting tool won't let me attach it. When I click on the "Attach Image" option nothing happens. Sorry - I know a picture is worth a thousand words.

Comments

Town & Country. Here's the pix - could only post as a comment. The marked area is where a rubber/plastic piece was missing, causing a flapping sort of whistling noise at speeds over 55 mph. I filled the hle/crack with duct tape and electrical tape, as described above, and got rid of the annoying noise.
  • Above, it should say "hole/crack" not "hle/crack".