Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

RPMs jump while braking

Love2Travel70Love2Travel70 Posts: 3
edited May 24 in Saturn
I have a 2009 Saturn Aura v6 auto transmission. Yesterday, the engine started revving up while I brake. It only jumps a little, from maybe 1,000 RPM to 1,500, but it definitely should not be doing that while I'm slowing down. I JUST paid the car off last month, so whatever it is, I'm getting it fixed.

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 4,992
    Make sure that the floor mat is under the gas pedal and not on top of it

• It isn't. Thanks.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,293
    What speed were you going when it would have the rise in RPMs? Was it consistent, say about 40?

I'm wondering if that behavior is normal.

When you put your foot on the brake, the lockup torque converter clutch is turned off and the rpms can rise because the fluid coupling allows the engine to go a little faster. You can test this by cruising at say 50 and lightly touching the brake pedal just enough to turn on the high level brake lights and disconnect the lockup TCC. If you keep the accelerator right where it is and just cruise along on a flat road, observe the RPMs, then let off the brake pedal and the TCC will re-engage and the RPMs will drop.

Also on my Cobalt with what may be a similar transmission..., at about 40 the transmission seems to downshift if the car is speeding up on a downhill slope. Also slowing down through that speed the trans downshifts and holds back on the car more as I'm slowing down. It's going from 4th to 3rd IIRC.

Note that you can't use cruise control for the first testing session because when the brakes go on the cruise control should be automatically disengaged.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• I've been driving this car for four years, and it's not my first Saturn Aura. It's not normal. It happens around 20-10mph. It's never done it before last Thursday. My mechanic couldn't find an issue, so I filmed the speedometer and RPM and will show him the video this week.