Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

FINALLY TEST DROVE - But I need help with options !

truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
edited March 2014 in GMC
Ok boys! and girls! I finally test drove the GMC
Sierra I've been talking about for what seems like
FOREVER! I'm IN LOVE!

The one I drove was a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD 4
door 5.3 Liter Z71 package. SWEET SWEET SWEET!
Best ride ever. Test drove on a really rough road
which a car doesn't even handle well. This was
sooo smooth. My decision is made!

This one had a few extras on it which I don't
want: ex:
HD Trailing package (don't need, won't use);
convenience package (pwr seats, heated mirrors,
etc.) - not necessary for me
bucket seats - my opinion.....not sweet. I'm
going with the 40-20-40 bench. The bucket seat was
seated too far to the left and the steering wheel
was soo off center to the right just wasn't
comfortable (for me). I think it's because the arm
rest is built into the seat and they needed to
account for it. That's ok, save some more $$.

My help that I need: Limited Slip Differential?
What exactly is this? Do I really need that?
Remember I live in IL - snow, heat, rain.....
Bed Liner....better to get separate? can you get
a better deal without getting this thru dealer?

Running board (is that what it's called or is this
the nerf thing?) I'm only 5'2 so I want a step to
go up into the truck to help myself and passengers.
Can I get this cheaper from an outside person
than the dealer? this way, I can save up for it.

My Last ? (I hope and you do to I bet) TIRES?
What's the main difference with the tires? This is
how the option sheet reads, I'm not sure what the
heck it means....
Standard is P245/75R16 All Season SBR BSW Tires
$125 MSRP is All Season SBR OWL Tires - OWL?
$105 MSRP is All Terrain SBR BSW Tires
$230 MSRP All Terrain SBR OWL Tires
$161 MSRP LT245/75R16 On-Off Road SBR BSW Tires
$286 """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" OWL Tires

Ok, I'm not going off roading! Just around town
and want to get thru the snow and slips a little
nicer. Advise? My first thought was going with
the standard tires- at least thru the dealer and
then getting an upgrade later if needed?

ADVISE!!!! (man, I just realized, I need you guys
to come to the dealer with me!) Ok, anyone up for
driving to IL ? Beer on me!

Thanks

Comments

• steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    What does "limited slips are to be changed more
    often...some say 10K...which for me is every 5 months/ it wasn't worth it to me" mean?
  • truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
    Thank You! Michigan Huh? Where abouts? Used to know someone who had land/house up in the UP. Nice area. Also had friends over in Grand Rapids area.

Ok....Road Trip.....Beer in coolers in bed......Well, truck bed that is! hehehe

You helped me ALOT! Thanks. I have a better understanding now. Also, didn't realize limited slip had to be changed. Didn't really know what that was.....thanks again.

And HEY! Can I see the whole truck now, now that you teased me with just the tire....LOL
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I mean change the Fluid...

the manual doesn't mention it...but loacl experts say to change every 10K....

there is myth weather it is the old style "clutch type"....meaning brake pad like parts that leave dust in the fluid....or a mechanical locker that does not.

I actually thought about getting it...but nobody could confirm the change intervals at the time...so I skipped it.

whole truck>....I've posted it a billion times in other posts....lemme see what I can do...

I'm about 1 hour north of Detroit....and have a place 20 minutes east of Macinac as well..

click for bigger picture

sometimes I feel I should have left it alone....i like this picture when I first got it...

http://www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/lt1.jpg
    - Tim
    Nice Truck. Ok, what's the step called that you added. That's what I'm looking for......

I think it looks good with the extras you put on it.....dresses it up nicer.

Otherwise, its kinda plain.
    mine are running/nerf bars..

official name are Putco Pipeline

Running boards are like...well....boards to step on..
    Nerf bars are tubes to step on..

These look like nerf bars..but are running boards.

Powder coated black are nice..but rust easily
    chrome rust just as quick
    stainless steel is great...no rust...but softer metal and scratches very easy
    chrome plated stainless is harder..and best overall

These are solid Stainless..I have to polish them with compound to remove the haze marks from getting in and out.

Average nerf bars are about 200-400...

these were $1000 for all 4.

pricey...but hey..I have never seen anyone with them in my area yet

- Tim
    265's are taller than 245's...as 285's are taller than 265's..

trying to make it simple.

- Tim
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    The percentage remains the same

265/60s are taller than 245/60s, but not as tall as 245/70s.

I know that this may be complicating the issue a little, but you have to take the two together.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I wish I had that 3rd step to get in the bed....Was that Dave40 up on the telephone pole?
    Ok, Tim was trying to make the answer simple so I could follow. Don't get too technical on me...I'm computer smart, not engine/auto smart (but I'm getting there) thanks to everyone here!

I think I'll go with standard tires and then upgrade later on. Thanks again!
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    truckchic,
    There is an advantage to getting the upgraded tires from the factory. USUALLY, when larger size tires are installed as a factory option, the speedometer and odometer are calibrated for the increased tire size. The recalibration may not be required due to the size increase being within tolerances.
    Rich
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    A later upgrade will not be that simple - the computer will almost certainly need to be reprogrammed for the change and there may be an impact on the abs as well.

It will of course cost more too.
    Ok, what's your opinions. I'm not planning on going off roading, but want something that will handle good in normal, rain, and snow for IL.

I'm getting the feeling I would be wise going with the LT245 on/off road SBR ($131 inv. $160 msrp). Am I getting the gist?

I'm unsure about the white writing on the sides. No a HUGH difference to me, it wears off after a while around here.

(By the way, I'm out of town all next week - VACATION! WooHoo - so you won't have to see me posting messages - lol)
    But, feel free to still give advise, I'm doing some heavy shopping,prices when I return and getting my truck!

Thanks again
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    White lettering only comes off if you scrape the sides on the curb a lot. 36,000 miles on my Goodyears and the lettering is in excellent shape. And that's driving in Illinois too.
    I don't think so! I don't scrape the sides of curbs, and ever car I've seen with the lettering, it starts to flake off after a few washes/scrubbing!

Maybe it's the actual make of the tire; who knows, but that has been my experience.
    ......for 1984!!

Get Black sidewalls.

- Tim
  • mblrdsmblrds Member Posts: 41
    Me? I have a '00 GMC Sierra SLE Ext cab, 4doors, with the Z71, 5.3 engine.
    First off, I find the 5.3 Vortec engine to be more than enough, but wouldn't get anything but.
    My truck (purchased off lot) came with the 40/20/40 bench, which I wanted. The whole family can ride in it comfortable (Me, wife, 4 kids).
    I wanted one with the trailering package only for the reason that it came with a tranny cooler. As it was, mine came with the tranny cooler, no hitch.
    I work in construction and drive a lot of off road so Z71 was for me. Seems to me that if you aren't planning any off road and just need something for occassional bad weather driving, 2 wheel drive with locking rear oughta do you, otherwise go with 4x4 with locking rear.
    Don't have the powered seats. The way I look at it, once you adjust the seats, that's usally where they stay.
    Just looking thru the owners manual on rear diff real quick, bout the only thing I saw was to check fluid level and add if needed at every oil change, nothing about changing. Probably due to it having synthetic gear oil. Need to spend more time going thru the book.
    I am happy with the tires that the manufacturers upgraded to due to the off-road package; LT245/75R16. Probably stick with same size when it comes time to replace.
    Had a Rhino spray-in not too long after getting truck and really like it.
    So far (2900+ miles), I average out to 15.25 mpg. Best 15.8, worst 14.8.
    Overall, I am glad that I purchased this truck and not one from the other guys (was also considering the Tundra). Buy it again? SURE!!!

Mitch
  • nrd525nrd525 Member Posts: 109
    As the recent buyer of a Sierra SLE Z71 4Dr,I guess I have a few onpinions on options,etc..

Seats?I recommend the buckets.It felt right to me,when I got into the Sierra the first time with the buckets,I hated the bench seats.As far as the wheel being too far to the right,on the Jeep Grand Cherokee I just got rid of,I always felt like the wheel was about an inch too far left.I guess whatever you like better.But unless they are buying them different than in the Toledo/Ann Arbor and surrounding areas,you won't have many bench seated Z71's to pick from.I think there was about 4,out of maybe 100 trucks I looked at(Chevy and GMC).
    Power seats,I don't really like them,the truck I bought was only the SECOND one out of maybe 100 I looked at that didn't have power seats.I've had two cars in the past with problems with power seats,so I'll pass every time.But,since you are pretty short,maybe you will want them.My sister always gets power seats,she's a "close driver",and I think that's part of it.
    I'd get the locking rear diff too,it's not that much money,and could be handy in the snow.
    Good luck even trying to find a 4x4 4dr WITHOUT the trailer hitch!I saw one,and it wasn't one I would buy,wrong color(brown!Sorry if you like it,but brown and gold are 1 and 2 on my AKKK! list!),engine(4.8),plus a bunch of really bad looking dealer add ons including red rail protectors screwed onto the tops of the rails!This dealer LOVES gold and brown trucks,my friend got one from him about 5 yrs ago,and it was gold.All the 2WD base type ones he was looking at were white,red or gold,and he got the gold,it was $500 less than the others.Now,he wants anything but gold!he's very tired of it.
    Most of the Z71's I saw had the 265 Firestone Wilderness tires,and so far,I'm happy with them.These are the most expensive tires on the option list.A few had 245's,but just a couple.
    And the bed liner,Rhino or Line-x,I wouldn't even think about a drop in.Just look at some of their work before picking the place.My dealer had a couple of trucks done at the Line-x dealer near me,so that's where I'm going to go.
    All the add on stuff is cheaper,and a lot of the time,better than the stuff the dealer sells and installs.
    I have the Westin Platinum chrome stainless step bars on my truck,the chrome looks nice with the balck paint and the other chrome on it.They are very solid and the only real complaint was how long it took for the guys to put them on.I had hurt my back,so I had it done where I got them from.The instructions confused them,it was the first 4 step Westins they had put on a new GM truck.
    In the rain tonight,I actually had the Autotrac kick in,and it seems to work fine,almost all of them had it,and since the truck I had had manual seats,it wasn't anything out of my pocket to get it,versus the ones without it,they all had power seats.
    And so far,no problems,just turned over 1100 miles.I like this vehicle better than ANY other one I have ever had!A little more power wouldn't hurt,it never does,I want it as quick as my 77 Dodge Pwer Wagon was,after I hopped it up,and a better stereo.I do have a few complaints in GM's choice of the way the keyless entry works.Just open BOTH doors when you push the "unlock" button,ONCE!!The dash is made out of too stiff of a plastic,so it's easy to get stuff buzzing if you have ,say,a cellphone on the dash.
    But this is nitpicking,it's a great truck with a great engine!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    First off Tim my truck is better na na na na na hahaha
    Damn she got to you before me now her truck is going to have a drop in liner and those steps u have.

I would have to suggest the spray in bedliner especially if your not keeping it in the garage.

Tires pay the extra $$$ and get the bigger P265's you wont be sorry they are great. The OWL are the way to go not the black walls. I see many trucks (light colored) and they dont look good at all. When i change my tires ill probably even go a little bigger.

Get the autotrac too.

Keep us updated

Tim does she sound more excited than i did???

Ryan
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    What kind of truck did you buy Ryan? Got rid of the blazer?
    was Pops....

Ryan bought a Tundra!

..even got his free Ginsu Knives!

- Tim
    Yea right dude

ROC i got a silverado

You didnt know???

Ryan
    ..don't let him fool ya...

Tundra man is Ryan now!

...(He has pictures of a friends Blue Silverado...don't let him fool ya!)
    LOL

..BTW....Ryan is in love...so that is what made him switch!

- Tim
    Thank you to everyone! I just got back from vacation and haven't really thought about the truck for a week (well, yes, I did check out every truck which past me in Vegas and drooled) However, I'm back in town and now going to actively get the price and truck I want. I may be emailing some more with final questions.

As soon as I get it, I will let you know and possibly get a picture scanned in and posted.

Thanks again! So far, I'm going with 2000 GMC Sierra SLE 4x4 4-door autotrac, locking rear diff., 40/20/40 seats (the buckets were off center for me) manual seats, indigo blue (or the maroon color - still not 100% sure).

After the truck, I'll get the spray in liner (see this a year or so ago and liked it then), need to get steps so my little legs can get in the truck - especially if I'm in a skirt (ok, easy guys!)
    so, I'll definately need some advise later on my 'add-ons'
    Thanks again
    Truckchic!
    GO WITH BLUE!!! haha Good luck hope you get it soon

Ryan
    Actually, I am leaning towards the blue, but...thats despite the fact that's what you have - hehehehe.

Anyway, Things for me are finally going my way, I'm getting my new truck, I got a great promotion at work (I'm actually supposed to be packing my desk today), I won a little $$ in vegas, My new bedroom furniture came in and is going to be delivered, I'm taking a motorcycle class this or next weekend! Wow! Finally things are going my way!

Now, if I can find my exact truck for a great price, I'll be set....then If that happens, I'm going to buy a lottery ticket!
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    My friend got a great deal by doing the following (something I'll be doing in a few months).

Write down everything you want. Get a quote from a dealer, the first dealer wont give you a great price but if you have an offer on paper the next dealer will beat it, the next dealer will beat it and throw in extras. And so on until you get the best deal.
    Great Advise Jim, I'll try it!

Thanks
    Thats great. Im having some good luck too finally. Skip the lotto tix go to the boats. There is one right next door to where i work but ill stay away from there i have a few things i still wanna add to my truck. (grill guard and maybe a lid)

Ryan
    No boat......Bike!

Much better!

TC
    You wouldnt want a boat? I totally forgot about that. Im buying one next yr. Just gotta find one to match my truck.

Ryan
    No, Rather have a bike to ride around and escape. Much better. Besides, with a boat, I'd have to travel to put in the water and go for a ride, with a bike, I can just take it out of the garage and Go!

To each their own. Besides, now I know you, I can ride the bike to your boat and won't have to buy a boat! hehehe
    Good idea. What made you want a bike? Did u see MI2? After that it made me want one. But after i seen gone in 60 sec i want a 2 door black hummer.

Go see that movie if u havent alreasdy its good.

Ryan
    Saw MI2, wasn't impressed with the bikes. I've always loved bikes. I'm a harley fan (ok, let me hear the comments, I've heard them all!)

I'm taking a riding course this weekend or next weekend. I've always been a passenger and never took the initiative to learn to ride, but this year I decided to just do it! I'll probably get a honda for my first bike. But, I'm waiting on that until I get my license and actually learn to ride.

gone in 60 seconds, I want to see that one. I take it, it was good.

Ok, welcome to Movie Reviews Forum....heheheh
    Much better than MI2. Gotta love all the cars.

Wish there were more trucks though

Ryan
    So did u find a truck yet??? Your awfully quiet. You got one and havent had time to talk to any of us anymore didnt you? Keep us updated

Ryan
    Right now, I've got all the information down and am collecting quotes. Called the person my company HR dept. gave me whos supposed to offer us $50 over factory invoice. The salesman is out til tomorrow, so I'll have to get a quote from him. I'm looking at 2000 GMC SlE Ext cab 4WD with Z71 off road, LT245/75R16C tires, tinted glass, locking rear differential, V8, Autotrac, bench seat......One guy quoted me $27,902 but when I priced it out the invoice is $26,359. So, I'm playing dealers against dealers right now. Gotta get a good price ya know. Trust me, as soon as I get it, I'll post what I bought. Then, I'll need more advise on accessories! liners, runners, etc......

How's your truck doing? I'm still selling my 95 Ranger ------know anyone in Chicagoland looking for a good small size pick up? I think I'll go put it by Jewel for more visibility. On my street there isn't much traffic, so I need to get it seen.

Thanks for asking!
    My truck is great. I got its first oil change friday. Only a few problems that are minor. I have a rattle around the instrument cluster trim (comes and goes i can live with it for now i dont want to take it in and not have it for a day you know), and yesterday when i started my truck up after i got home from my bball game my truck made a ticking noise which went away after a few min and havent heard it since. One suggestion get the P265 WOL tires. They are well worth the money and make the truck look a little better.

Salesmen suck. Im so glad i found one that was great. It helped too that i got the gm supplier deal so i didnt have to worry about bargining for a price mine was set i just had to find a dealership to accept it.

Did you put an add in the newspaper for your truck? If not try that.

Good luck hope you get it soon

Ryan
  • jpfltawjpfltaw Member Posts: 43
    the indigo is great, can't drive far without someone commenting on the color. and it is not as nice as my 99 indigo/pewter ( lemon bought back by G.M. ),with all the chrome added. gasing up is worse, i spend more time gabbing with strangers, that gotta have a look, than actually filling up. having your price comparisons in hand works. i bought my 2000 LS indigo/pewter 80 miles out of town because of $200 over invoice offer. ordered 4/15, picked up 6/1. put it all in a excel spreadsheet, items - codes - dealer - price. just put the roll n lock on it today, no diamond plate box this time, priority change. next looking for the boards that mgdvhman posted and putco rails. they look like ultra boards and are exactly what i want, but need to know if it is all bolt on with no drilling.

NEVER deal with Sewell

SEWELL SUCKS
  • jpfltawjpfltaw Member Posts: 43
    by the way my 99 and 2000 were built in Fort Wayne. the 99 was trash, the 2000 has a thin paint job in the door jams and bed. the bed did not matter because it sprayed by line-x. but the door jams look almost green in bright sunlight. not enough paint the cover the primer. considering this 2000 is a joy to drive, 28 days old and 1800 miles, and the hell i went through for 10 months with the 99, i can deal with it for now. i'll just wait for the next hail storm to hit and then get the whole truck painted right.
    Dont talk bad about fort wayne. Thats where mine was built and its in my home state.

Ryan
    Thanks for the info. I really fell in love with the truck when I test drove. I actaully test drove the maroon color one, but want to get the indigo. Then, I'm going to be looking at running boards, spray in liner, all the nice perks of it.

Thanks agaan
    Truck chic
    Like we really need another blue truck out there haha. Nice choice of color.

Ryan
    Ryan, there actually aren't that many blue ones in Illinois - at least around me. Infact, very very very few GMC's, So, mine is still unique (or will be once I get it hehe). Unlike those of you in Indiana, where you all buy the same thing!

Just teasing! You know I love ya!

truckchic
    I have yet to see one like mine

Indigo blue w/ black flares.

None around

Trust me once you get your truck will see alot of blue ones. The day i got mine i seen about a dozen but none had flares. So mine is unique too side steps help make it look unique too. My truck really needs a bath bad. Its starting to look black haha. maybe ill go offroading first get a lil mud on it.

Hey email me all the options and stuff you want this guy at a gmc dealership keeps sending me stuff ill find out if they have any trucks like you want if you want. Let me know

Ryan
    Sounds good. I'll do that this afternoon after lunch, I'm lunching now. Talk with you late
    ALREADY??? Wow you take some early lunches.

Ryan
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    My truck was built at that truck plant on 02/23/00 & it has been a great truck. The paint job was done very well!

As far as Indiana, well they have nice license plates but all those states (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, etc.) if you didn't know where you were you couldn't tell one of those states from another!
    They are plane white with red letters and numbers

Ryan
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    The ones I saw had the farm back ground at morning or dusk!
    um light blue background too?
    We have a bunch of plates (colleges,organizations). I dont know exactly which one that is sounds like the environment one.

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.