Buying an Older Jetta
axeeffect Member Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Volkswagen
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 99 wolfsburg jetta that the owner claims is really good. The problem is it has 85k miles. Is that too much?
This discussion has been closed.
Don't do it!!!
The way it works here is the Ministry of Transportation set the bottom end of the price using the black book.
I just hope I won't regret this.
My problems are:1)I need owner's service manual.
2)Speedometer is not working.
3)I want to know more about the car.
I'm looking for a second car, my old corolla had an untimely demise in an accident =( But now I'm looking into what car to buy, and I love the look and specs of the 2002 Jetta, the gls 1.8t to be precise. I have a couple of questions though
do I REALLY need to put premium gas into the car, or will it suffice w/ regular if I buy it at 80k miles?
If i want a car that I can reasonably assume won't cost me over $1500 a year to maintain, does the jetta fit?
Thanks in advance for any comments, I appreciate all bits of advice (large, small...one word...)
Whats the track record for older Jettas?
can any one tell me the difference between a GL and a GLS???
and you will eventually get to a place where it will tell some of what was standard on GL vs. GLS for whatever model year you are looking at.
2) The speed sensor on the transmission needs to be replaced.
3) Make sure all belts (timing belt, serpentine belt, power steering belt) have been replaced.
4) Make sure the engine oil and transmission fluid / transaxle oil has been changed (engine oil - every 5,000 miles, transmission fluid/transaxle oil - every 30,000 miles)
5) Make sure there are no signs of leaks on the engine, transmission or cooling system.
6) Check the coolant in the reservoir. Since your car is a 1995, the color of your coolant should be blue or green. If it is green, then you can use the older green glycol-based coolant. If it is blue, you need to use the blue G-11 coolant. Do not under any circumstances mix these coolants with the newer G-12 (Red) coolant, otherwise the chemical reaction between these coolants will mix into a gel - clogging your engine's water passages which will lead to overheating.
How many miles (kilometers) are on the car?
I already know about New Jetta warranty info that
3 years/ 36000mi for basic/power train
I wonder that whether the remaining warranty will be transferred to the 2nd owner(ME!!).
Is there any warranty penalty for 2nd owner?