Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Sentra gas guage

popadopolispopadopolis Member Posts: 16
edited July 2019 in Nissan
2015 Nissan Sentra SV. Gas gauge quit registering any thing below half a tank. Took car to dealer diagnosed as faulty fuel pump sending unit. $700 to repair, Wow only 30,000 3years old. Just out of warranty. Any one else experience this?

Answers

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Rotten timing on the warranty. And unfortunate that something that rarely goes bad went bad for you. If you keep track of the mileage you get (not a bad thing to know), you could use the trip odometer as an alternative to your gas gauge until you decide to have the repair made. Your mileage is certainly going to depend on the driving conditions you face and your driving habits, but once you know your average mileage, you'll have an idea of how many miles you'll get out of your 13.2 gallon tank. Reset the trip odometer when you fill up, and then when you approach 350-400 miles ( the number will depend on your average mileage) you'll know it's time ti fill up again.

I'm in the habit of calculating my mileage on each fillup as an indication of the general health of my vehicles, and I generally use the trip odometer in conjunction with the gas gauge to let me know when it's time to refill.