Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Why wont shift in reverse and my netural light blinks.

BrixyzBrixyz Member Posts: 1
edited August 2019 in Mitsubishi
I was driving doen the highway when i hear a clunk and my netural light started blinking and it down shifted. I stopped and now it wont go in reverse.

Answers

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A flashing neutral light is an indicator of a fault with the transmission’s electronic control system. First, check the vehicle’s transmission fluid to make sure that it is at the correct level and not excessively dirty. Bad fluid can cause a lot of issue.

Could be one of the transmission’s sensors or solenoids failing, or it is possible that a mechanical fault has occurred. If the transmission is downshifting, then it may be possible that the issue is serious enough that it is putting the vehicle into limp mode, which is a power reduced mode that is activated in order to protect the transmission from suffering possible damage.

Since it appears to be in limp mode, you should stop driving the vehicle and have the transmission trouble codes retrieved by a qualified mechanic to see what's going on.