Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently tried to purchase a new vehicle after being out of the market for a while and found that prices were much higher than you expected? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 1/20 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2010 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 won't crank

MachbaMachba FloridaPosts: 2
edited August 2019 in Mercedes-Benz
I have a 2010 Freightliner Sprinter that won't crank. (diesel 3.0) When I turn the key I get full dash lights but no response from the starter. Trying to jump start the vehicle has no effect.

This same problem happened once before, I had it towed to the Mercedes Dealership where they charged me $5000 for new intake manifolds - which I'm certain had nothing to do with the problem and could have been cleaned with a can of carb cleaner.

Any assistance for troubleshooting the problem would be appreciated.

Answers

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,403
    Well, since jumping doesn't get the starter to turn, that eliminates the weak/dead battery angle. So you're down to either no power getting to the starter (broken wire, short to ground?) or perhaps a bad starter.. Have to start with the obvious possibilities

Edmunds Moderator

Silver 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback & White 2019 Nissan Rogue S

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

• MachbaMachba FloridaPosts: 2
    It was a blown fuse. #9 on the main fuse block - labeled in fuse block diagram as "Terminal 87".

Odd though, the diagram calls for a 25A fuse if diesel engine, which it is, 20A fuse if Gasoline, which I don't think is available. The slot was populated with a 20A fuse and replacing with a 20A fuse blew the fuse immediately on attempting to start the van. Replaced with a 25A fuse, seems to be doing fine now. I just want to know... why was the 20A fuse sufficient for the past two years and now suddenly not.