Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

How hard is it to replace the cat converter on a 2013 focus se?

davidf59davidf59 Posts: 3
edited August 9 in Ford
Replaced both O2 sensors 8 maths back but I just started to get a P0420 error. Can I replace the cat myself in the garage? I normally do the brakes, suspension, ..., myself.

Answers

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,235
    If you're doing brakes and suspension work, you probably are proficient enough. I would think the hard part is that you'd want the car up on a lift to have decent access. And the sensors associated will require a bit of wiring/electrical type work.

Edmunds Moderator

Silver 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback & White 2019 Nissan Rogue S

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

• davidf59davidf59 Posts: 3
    PF_Flyer, thanks.
    I do as much of the auto work as I can to save money.
    I think the biggest hurdle for this is having to lift the engine a few inches to extract the bad unit.
    Cowlings, spacers, sub-frame bracket, sensors are all just tedious if carefully done.
    Going to run another can of CataClean through to see if it resolves the issue.
    Have a recall for a Canister Purge Valve replacement that will be done this month by dealership.
    Possibly the cleaner and purge valve work will clear the distantly related codes.
    Or a fall time cat replacement is in the future.