Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Outback vs Highlander vs RAV4

13»

Comments

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    ...also, I am not sure if Toyota or Subaru is better at helping resolve customer problems.

Years ago, when I had to resort to legal action to solve a lemon problem, I asked the lawyer (a reputable one) which car manufacturers were the easiest or most difficult to deal with. He responded that Honda and Mercedes were by far the most difficult, with Toyota being somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately, I had not asked him about Subaru.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hmm, I have a 3.5l Sienna, and a Legacy. I could do the engine swap myself ... :D

Better yet, I'll put the V6 in my Miata. :surprise:

Subaru needs to ditch the 3.0l H6 and replace it with the 3.6l H6. I've only sampled that engine in the Tribeca, but it's a match for Toyota's mighty 2GR V6. The 3.0l is not.

Now you have to drive a Forester when that comes out, should only be another 8 weeks or so.

I'm not sure about who is easier to deal with when it comes to Lemons, but an Edmunds member that is a supplier to SIA surprised me when he said that Subaru's inspections are more stringent than Toyota's (at the same plant).

Not sure if that's why Toyota dropped to 3rd in reliability rankings, but it wasn't enough to sway me away from a Sienna. The engine alone is worth the $25 grand.
    Thanks for info, ateixeria.

Yes, I am concerned Toyota has slipped in reliability. Toyota talks too much of cost cutting. It shows (some of the RAV4 parts are downright cheap), and that has hurt them.

But I certainly agree with you wrt Subaru H6's being outclassed by the Toyota 2GR V6.
    Still, I doubt Subaru will use their 3.6 H6 in anything but the Tribeca for the next two years.

Wrt forester, Subaru has to improve the seats, the transmission and (lower torque) the engine. The current seats got a bad rap from CU, and they've proved pretty accurate for my older frame.

Also, very likely now I will relocate to a level area in Portland (out of the mountains), making AWD much less important for short term. Long term, it remains desirable.
    the remarks of Edmunds test of the '09 Forester now makes me wonder what real advantages the Outback has.

The Outback has a 5 speed auto and nicer interior.

The Forester seems to have better mileage, performance, handling (no tail happyness, apparently) and space utilization.

Comments?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yeah, I suspect for MY 2009 the Outback could have some problems. Besides what you stated, it's still more refined than the Forester, but not by much. That should change for MY 2010 when an all-new Outback arrives.

Bob
    If Subaru gives the LLBean outback the Tribeca engine and trans for '09, that would alleviate any concerns I have about it.

Anyone hear if they might be planning that?
    Or will they sit on the model until '10 and then do it all at once (from sound of it, it will be too big for me, unfortunately) ?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    Well, they need to do something for the MY change. Considering they just did an extensive face-lift for '08, they are really only left with the possibility of mechanical and gadget upgrades (further expanded VDC in the line-up, blue-tooth, etc). Like Bob has expressed, sales for the '09 will likely lag without some considerable interest-grabbers.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    C'mon, kurt!

Join me in a group buy. Two 2009 Foresters.

We'll get a great deal! :D
    I'll see how that '09 Forester looks up at the Oregon car show. ;-)
    Hopefully Subie will let folks get inside to get feel of interior.

By comparison, Mazda and Mitsubishi seem to prefer keeping people out of their new models. I guess they're afraid the cars will get stripped or damaged.
    The LL Bean Forester is wide open at the DC Auto Show. I'm checking it out this weekend. :shades:

Keep your eyes peeled, I'll have photos and maybe even some video. :shades:
    saw it at Portland Auto show, and posted in separate thread.
    In brief, was impressed - in many ways better than the Outback, and cheaper.
    Did you see my detailed comments in the 09 Forester thread?
    yes...I'm posting there as well. Thanks for heads up on that.
This discussion has been closed.