It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
SPT/STI Parts - Subaru-approved modifications
I'm considering making a few very minor modifications to the WRX, but with the following conditions:
- I want Subaru-sanctioned parts ONLY, to be installed by the dealer. No aftermarket. No warranty voiding. So I'd be fishing from the SPT or STI parts bins. This includes the sound system.
- I don't want anything that's going to make the WRX take on the characteristics of the STI that I didn't care for, such as the harsh ride, raw-sounding/feeling powertrain, road noise, touchy clutch/shifter, worse gas mileage, etc.
- I like the looks of my car (wheels, spoiler, etc.). I have no desire to add or change anything external.
So this limits me to some pretty basic modifications, and I'm fine with that. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with, or insight into, the following:
- A salesperson at the dealer told me I could have the STI's xenon headlight kit installed, since the bodies are identical, and it wouldn't hurt my warranty. The WRX has a spare switch plug where the STI's headlight leveler control was, so would that be installed also? Any clue how much this would cost?
- I want the stereo head unit and aux audio input from the 2007's once they come out. I'm sure the head unit is easily swappable between 2006/2007, but can the aux input be installed in the "ashtray" compartment as it is in the 2007?
- I was reading in the SPT online catalog about how you can get a 18-hp/20-lb-ft-torque increase from the combined effect of the SPT high-flow air intake, heat shield, and cat-back performance exhaust system. How much louder will this make the car? Will it hurt fuel efficiency? Will it shorten engine/turbo life?