Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Luxury Lounge

1422423424425426428»

Comments

• Options
    rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    Amazing indeed. :-)

It has been so long I was skeptical of getting a reply. Great to hear from you!

Very good to hear your A8 is serving you well. When I posted a few days ago, I was wondering about what you, & the other's, might be driving these days. I understand the reasons for the shift to smaller engines, but I don't have to like it. ;-)

Just now returned from Sunday drive in the Jag, & it's like a time machine. Very visceral experience! I'm able to wind her up towards Awendaw, where the road opens, the traffic lessens, & the highway patrol is predictable. ;-)

I hop back into the S5, & I'm able to appreciate what was & how far we've come. The +'s & -'s of both.

One thing the Jag, as well as our entire garage, appreciates is easy access to ethanol free premium. :-)
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I looked for you today---down town---walked up the the `teeter` and back.....I`l keep it up

As I really don`t drive very hard, I think I would get the v6 ...It has almost identical acceleration , with better fuel economy...Since we last communicated my wife has traded the bmw station wagon 5 in for the Mercedes station wagon...It is a bit larger, but really not nearly as good as the bmw...Just something different....We have had some strange problems, like it you don`t turn it off correctly, it would drain the battery down completely....Mercedes has good roadside service, as that happened to us in Miami...They replaced the battery, and you know the trouble with traffic down there...Took a couple of hours...but we were parked (obviously) so it wasn`t any inconvenience for us.....At the time of her trade Audi didn`t have a car that appealed to her....

I don`t remember if I mentioned to you, but back when we moved houses, the neighbor had a car that I though could have been you....I was shocked with the coincidence, and didn`t say anything---just waited to see what would happen...It turned out the neighbor had a friend visiting from N C...I do remember your dismay when I saw you driving over the ashley river bridge that day :-) so surely didn`t want to shock you----if it turned out to have been you.....Later--- and good to hear from yourself Tony
  • Options
    Tony,

That's funny! Driving the Jag around has gotten me more accustomed to being flagged down on the road, so it'd be fine. Usually when that happened in the past, I figured something must be wrong with my car or tires. ;-)

Sounds like the change from BMW to Mercedes has been somewhat of a disappointment, but I can certainly understand the desire for something different. I couldn't honestly say what car I would go for if I wanted to replace my S5 with another coupe. That's going to be awhile anyway. If I buy in the near future, it will be an additional car & have 4 doors. Like the S8, or see how the new S class develops.

Truth be told, fuel economy isn't a top priority for me in selecting a car or engine variant. The 4.2 is a wonderful engine, & I've read somewhere on these forums it may be Audi's most reliable motor? For me at least, replacing it with the supercharged 6 rules a new S5 off my radar. RS5 now? Hmm... :-)
  • Options
    dssxxxxdssxxxx Member Posts: 69
    Interesting (above).

Cadillac a long time and then Lexus 300/350's for the wife and 430/460's for myself.

Went Audi and will never looked back. Looked at S class and got A8L and wife got Q5. This year, kept A8L (3 years old w/16K) and got A7 for wife and S7 for FL to go with the E350. Will probably get rid of the E350 and get the A6 for times when we have other couples in the car. Quattro a little wasted in sunny FL.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    You are driving my current car's great grandmother! (XK-XK8-XJS-E Type) I have an '09 Jag XK Coupe. The direct result of a friend of the family, back in the '60s, having a red XKE/E-type convertible. Never forgot the rides I got in that car, it's beauty, sound and all those rocker switches!

Of course, I live in New England and the XK is my daily driver. Put on quite a (smoky rear tires) show this morning trying to get up my 60' uphill driveway with 1/4" of snow! But, I made it, not all the tire rubber did... :blush:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    What is it about wives & Q5's? ;-)

My wife also has a Q5 3.2 & loves it. It's pleasant enough for me, but on long trips I sure miss the ability to extend the seat bottom for extra knee support that I enjoy with my sport seats. Sure keeps my knees from barking.

I'm a fan of the styling of the A7/S7 quite a bit, & 4 door coupe styling in general. Pleasing to my eyes. As you alluded to, with regard to hauling other couples, I can't keep it on my radar for a new 4 door, should I buy soon. Don't want to sacrifice the rear headroom. That's one of the reasons I'm leaning towards an S8. Plenty of room back there in standard wheelbase form. Seeing as how I'll be doing all the driving, I actually prefer not to have a longer A8 L. The extra power is seducing too, S8 vs A8 SWB.
  • Options
    That's the kind of show I go outta my way to see. ;-)

I have a sneaking suspicion that your sweet ride makes for a better daily driver than my '69. Love the Sunday drives, but would be too punishing every day. Guess I've gone soft. ;-)

New England is beautiful...in pictures. Left Maine when young & really haven't missed snow much. ;-)
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    Born in NY, moved to New England-Lite (SW Ct) at an early age and Boston later in life. I'm a snow guy, skier. I do enjoy New England.

The XK is a great GT, smooth, fast, comfy, economical-ish and (hopefully) reliable! And, imho of course, wicked-pissa good looking! My first non-sensible pair of shoes, saved up for quite some time to appear too poor to afford an Aston Martin (thanks, Jeremy Clarkson...)!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking for a new car buyer who is financing their car for 84 months or longer. If you have an 84-month or longer term, and you would like to share your story, please send your daytime contact to pr@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, 3/6/13 at 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET.
  • Options
    buyerhelpbuyerhelp Member Posts: 6
    I am looking for an entry level luxury sedan that is atleast as big as Camry to hold 5 adults comfortably. Looking for something under $50 - $55K. Which Sedans will fit that category?
  • Options
    james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    To be blunt, almost no luxury car holds three in the back comfortably...the seats are almost always sculpted for two, with the third as an occasional accommodation or maybe a child seat. It's a function of width...you may be better off with something less luxurious where it is a simple bench.

Now, if those adults are small, or you're not going to go far, most any one will carry five, but the center rear seat is not great for long-term use.
  • Options
    buyerhelpbuyerhelp Member Posts: 6
    Based on what I have seen, that is what it looks like too. That is sad :(
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    No personal experience myself with it but how about the Cadillac XTS?
  • Options
    sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    Infiniti M
    Jag XF
    Caddy
    May be TL. Or RL
    A6
  • Options
    dssxxxxdssxxxx Member Posts: 69
    May be it's me but none of those I would consider "luxury".
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    May be it's me but none of those I would consider "luxury".

Yeah, it's you. The great unwashed, of whom I appear to be a member (given your definition), would beg to differ. Some of those cars can be optioned up to north of $60K. Apparently luxury starts at a higher "price point" in your world.

Please, bless us with your list. I'm curious.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Keep in mind that the OP provided a price range. The suggestions listed fall within or just under the price range, but feel free to offer more options for the OP if you have ideas that fit your definition and fall into the right price range.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Tony,

I keep the Jag away from traffic, but took her this am up 41 towards Frances Marion & hit somewhere between 100-110 mph. She could've gone further, but I was being cautious. Ha
  • Options
    any more news? I still have the Audi, and am waiting to see the mercedes....I also thought about a a 7, but haven`t seen one that I seriously looked at...I like it`s design Tony
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I don't consider them luxury either. I'd put them at near luxury as a category.
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    edited October 2013
    Ljflx, just remember, everything in those cars is good for somethin'.

(Poor little pizza ain't good fuh nuthin.)

How are you doing buddy? It's been a long time since we've had some good ol' chats in these forums. I hope all is well. And best wishes to all!
  • Options
    dyer33704dyer33704 Member Posts: 2
    My parents have been GM / Chevy people ever since I can remember. I think their first was a 1962 Impala Station Wagon. Anyway, I was with them when they purchased their Trailblazer. What a piece of S*#T it is! All the same issues as everyone else has been stating. Stalling at lights and pulling into and out of the driveway and intermittent rough idle and high rapid idle for no reason at at 32,000 miles. 40,000 miles brought about incorrect inside/outside temperature readings and inability use climate control which was supposedly unrepairable. Seatbelts that don't release and just keep getting tighter and tighter ever since purchase and they can't seem to repair it or didn't want to. Let's see, at 67,000 miles had to spend $2,800 to replace the air conditioner! Numerous engine problems. Rear Window motor went at 70,000 miles. Transmisison shift linkage broke stranding me in the middle of know where unable to change gears from reverse to drive or even put in park at about 76,000 miles. Windshield wiper motor on slow or intermittent (didn't even bother spending more money to get that fixed). Passenger seat stopped working at 81,000 miles.

I had an accident with my 1997 Jaguar XJS (That plus my 1995 Jaguar Vanden Plas and 1997 Jaguar XJS were possibly the BEST cars I have ever owned apart from my Mercedes')

Anyway, my rental car for the month (yep it was a BAD accident) was a Ford Edge! For any of you looking to purchase a new SUV or Crossover, the Ford Edge IS the vehicle to buy! WOW! Has Ford far surpassed GM!!!! The ride was amazing. The fit and finish were beautiful! The electronics were far ahead of anything else out there! Voice activated everything and the vehicle drove like, well it was AWESOME! NO MORE GM FOR THIS FAMILY! MY PARENT NEXT VEHICLE (as soon as we can give away this piece of crap) IS THE FORD EDGE!

As for me, I just gave away my 1997 Jag XJS with 188,000 (still in incredible condition) as I did with my 1988 Mercedes 350SD (still in incredible condition). They still run and drive flawlessly! Yes, I guess I am a Mercedes owner for ever and ever. My 2006 Mercedes CLK has 112,000 miles on it and the only repair so far has been one electronic auto-open car door handle and the car still looks new and doesn't have a squeak, rattle or bump! It pays to buy quality!

Ok, my rant is finished. IF you're going to buy American, the ONLY way to go is FORD. IF you're going to buy foreign, well I'll let you research for yourself! HAVE FUN, BE CAREFUL AND USE EDMUNDS!
  • Options
    Hellooooooooh?? Anybody around from this (old) forum?
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Hey Carnaught,

I remained AWOL here just like Rip Van Winkel did during his very long sleep.

I still drive my 2009 Prius.

I looked at some of the old posts here and began feeling quite nostalgic. Some of those posts were quite amusing.

Will be looking to buy this year or next year a new generation Lexus RX450h or a MB E Class.
    Or maybe be just maybe another Prius. Seriously no joke. Yes my car enthusiast days are over. But still I remain an enthusiast for many other things.

All the best to all members who are also AWOL and reading this post.

Dewey
  • Options
    dewey said:

Hey Carnaught,

I remained AWOL here just like Rip Van Winkel did during his very long sleep.

I still drive my 2009 Prius.

I looked at some of the old posts here and began feeling quite nostalgic. Some of those posts were quite amusing.

Will be looking to buy this year or next year a new generation Lexus RX450h or a MB E Class.
    Or maybe be just maybe another Prius. Seriously no joke. Yes my car enthusiast days are over. But still I remain an enthusiast for many other things.

All the best to all members who are also AWOL and reading this post.

Dewey

Dewey, glad to hear from you. Yep, I'm not the same enthusiast I had been but still consider myself one. Wonder how people like Tagman, and Merc1 are doing. Would love for this forum to be reborn.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, this board was great when it was up and running, as was the one that came before.

The Entry-Level Performance Sedan board died as well, for many months, then a couple of new people got it running again. One of them is a bit of a pain and the other one isn't a prize either, but that board's been running pretty solid for the last couple of years.

Sadly, most of the old-timers have moved on. Maybe they have actual lives.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

Yeah, this board was great when it was up and running, as was the one that came before.

The Entry-Level Performance Sedan board died as well, for many months, then a couple of new people got it running again. One of them is a bit of a pain and the other one isn't a prize either, but that board's been running pretty solid for the last couple of years.

Sadly, most of the old-timers have moved on. Maybe they have actual lives.

And who might they be? I can guess... :D;)B)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

Yeah, this board was great when it was up and running, as was the one that came before.........................................Sadly, most of the old-timers have moved on. Maybe they have actual lives.

It's not that I/we don't have actual lives, but occasionally just like to have discussions about things we enjoy (cars!) in common.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I am sure all former members before, during and after attending these forums had and still have a life.

The only difference now like myself is that there is ample time to watch all episodes of The House of Cards.

Getting back to cars I was interested in a BMW i3 as a city commuter vehicle. But I have enough anxieties in my life and I chose not to add a new one: Range anxiety. Especially during winter when the battery is not so potent.

Hopefully in the not too distant future I will be able to buy the Ultimate Anti-Enthusiast self driving vehicle from either Apple or Google. During commutes I will be catching up on reading books and the news. In my opinion that is far better than being behind a steering wheel screaming obscenities at rude drivers.
  • Options
    I too miss the old gang---Particularly Charlie---as he really participated in a life, just to be able to post, and knew something about the weather :-) I leased a Ford electric car, Energy, and will be happy when the lease is over...Engine and battery has been fine, but it has no place to attach a sling to pull it out, and the charging--plugging in--is a real pain after the newness wears off...I wanted to share that with everyone....I feel I saved eighty thousand dollars by testing this out vs the Porsche I was planning on getting....
    I really think I would enjoy a small truck, as the farm takes most of my time, and to be able to pull it out would be convenient, as well as having the back to tote things....Might get one this early fall...If not then a bmw 5 or Porsche Pan....doubt the Porsche though, and not a hybrid
    The stock market has continued to advance, and Apple has done superbly , so I`m sure you guys who rode it out are happy.....I have just invested mostly now in the Vanguard, and speficilly VFIAX.....Amazingly I figured than one out on my own, and it is just a bet on the overall USA through thick and thin....Buffet came out last year and thought that the thing to do for those of us who just wanted to preserve their purchasing power ...I`v always been a fellow who purchased individual stocks, so this is a radical departure for me....It concerns me , but if you think about it, it makes sense ...Missing everyone ....Good luck to all Tony
  • Options
    Good to hear from you Tony on this board. Hope life is going well.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Based on the past posts this Forum should be renamed “The I Miss the Old Gang Forum”.

I miss a lot of people too. But life moves on.

Good to hear from such familiar names as Cdnpinhead, Anthonyp and Carnaught. The kind of names you will never see in the real world.
  • Options
    dewey said:

Based on the past posts this Forum should be renamed “The I Miss the Old Gang Forum”.

I miss a lot of people too. But life moves on.

Good to hear from such familiar names as Cdnpinhead, Anthonyp and Carnaught. The kind of names you will never see in the real world.

Well those are real names, at least mine is, and I feel I know Charlie, and to a lesser degree Len, as well as you Dewey, and probably five or six others...We had fun while it lasted, and as usual a relationship takes attention, and I am afraid we didn`t pay the required attention...In my case the computer screwed up everything she one of the apple operating systems re arranged everything, and the edmonds board disappeared, and of course edmonds doesn`t make it easy to find again :-) Take care, and maybe we all will check in on occasion, and things would jell again tony
  • Options
    So true Tony,

All the very best.

dewey