Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW Lease Recall Preventing Assumption

doonesdoones Member Posts: 1
edited February 2020 in BMW
I am currently leasing a BMW X1 and need to get out of my lease as I unexpectedly need to move across the country and cannot take my car with me. I have someone willing to take over my lease and called BMW to start the Assumption process. They let me know that there is currently a recall on my car so I am unable to proceed with a lease transfer. They currently do not have a fix for the recall and do not have an ETA on a fix for the recall so I am unable to transfer my lease. Has anyone experienced this or know how to proceed? I cannot keep my car and BMW is preventing me from transferring my lease due to not being able to fix their recall.

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    out of curiosity, why can't you take it with you?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    Been there.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. BMW will not allow the sale or transfer of a vehicle under recall until the recall fix has been completed.

Your only option is to ground the lease early and pay whatever they assess you. Typically remainder of payments plus disposition OR the delta between the residual + remaining payments and what they sell it at auction for - which ever amount is less.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Been there.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. BMW will not allow the sale or transfer of a vehicle under recall until the recall fix has been completed.

Your only option is to ground the lease early and pay whatever they assess you. Typically remainder of payments plus disposition OR the delta between the residual + remaining payments and what they sell it at auction for - which ever amount is less.

Don't lemon laws apply the same on leases as purchases? 30 days in the shop or undriveable, and it's lemoned in CA I think.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    Lemon law varies in each state. Most places it is only 1 year long. And even still, a recall does not rise to the level of a lemon law event.

This is a BMWFS/BMWNA policy - my lease ended and I was not going to fight about it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI