Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

FORD F-150 SUPERCAB BUYERS - II

Comments

• Options
    noller2gnoller2g Member Posts: 60
    I think your ORP 4X4 comes with a 10.25 inch Limited Slip rear diff.

There should be a metal tag on the diff that has this info.

Go to f150online.com and search for "axle codes"

Greg
    Wichita
  • Options
    sprgldsprgld Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Greg. Got the axle code but have not had much luck with f150online.com. The L starting the second line suggests that it is probably a limited slip axle.

Axle Code is

3 S-923 A
    L73 9759 A25

Steve
  • Options
    Thanks Greg. Seems that I do have a limited slip rear axle.

Steve
  • Options
    missers1999missers1999 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2000 F-150 Supercab XLT, 2WD, auto, V6, with limited slip a few weeks ago. The truck had 17 miles on it when I found it. Ever since the first day I got it, I have noticed quite a weird thing happening. Every time I come to a complete stop, just a second before the truck is stopped, there is a jerk or kick of some kind, almost like a slip. Now this happens no matter how hard/ soft I apply the brakes; I have tried everything. This does not happen during all braking - only at stop lights/ signs, etc., when I have to come to a 'complete' stop. This has occurred in both dry and rainy conditions. Has anyone felt this? It is definately something one would notice. I had to drive a Ram 1500 as a rental one day and it did this, too. However, my father is on his second 150 and he doesn't have this problem. I spoke to my saleswomen, who also has one, and told me if it doesn't go away, let her know. HELP! Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    eliielii Member Posts: 1
    Been to the local dealer and priced SC SB 250SD XLT 4x2 AT. Might be out of my price range.Have been pricing out F150 SC SB XL with 5.4 AT Cruise, air, LS 3.55 and 7700 GVW.on Edmund's. Need more payload than the regular F150 Could save about $3000 Any feedback on the 150 with 7700 payload would be appreciated.
  • Options
    jsrjrjsrjr Member Posts: 1
    Am thinking about buying a 2001 F-150 xlt sc sb 4wd 5.4 liter. Are there any opinions on whether I should get 16 or 17 inch tires. Is there any advantage to getting a limited slip differential if it is already a 4 wheel drive?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Joe
  • Options
    jsrjr:

I don't think there is a down side to a limited slip axle (other than cost) and it is a good investment for safety reasons. It takes time to get into 4 wheel drive and there are driving situations in which a limited slip axle may prevent loss of control. In 4 wheel drive, the drive system is slightly more efficient in terms of traction.

I have the truck you are ordering (1999 Model) but have the Off Road Package and the 17 in. tires. It is a great truck and would never order another one without these 2 options. The heavy duty suspension that comes with the ORP is definitely worth it. Recently, I was on a very washboard dirt road that went through a dune field. I was cruising comfortably at 50 down this straight but hilly road and I did not louse traction once, could hardly feel the washboard, and the CD player did not skip once. If you are going to do any backcountry driving definitely get the ORP. The 17 in. wheels give you more clearance and look really sharp.

Regards, Steve
  • Options
    michaelammichaelam Member Posts: 2
    I plan to order an F-150 Supercrew, but want to get the “Off-Road” package as detailed in a recent Ford truck brochure. My dealer can’t even tell me when this option will be available for ordering. He says, “Maybe late October.”

The “Off-Road” option includes heavier shocks (also available with the tow package), skid plates (available separately), decals and cast aluminum wheels like on the “Off-Road” equipped trucks. I can live without the decals, but I want the wheels. However, the dealer tells me there is no way he can substitute the cast aluminum wheels for the chromed steel wheels standard on the Lariat 4WD. Is this true, and also, does anyone know when the “Off-Road” package will be available?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

michaelam@excite.com
  • Options
    roob880roob880 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 97 F-150 XLT, a few months ago and have been very happy with it. It is in VERY good condition, with the occasional paint chip here and there. When I got in the truck the other day, I noticed that there was a small crack on the outside of the door, near the bottom right corner of the driver’s side window! It is, for now, about and inch long and begins under the molding. I thought it was VERY strange, since I waxed it a week ago and there was no crack. I was even more surprised when I checked the passenger side door, and could see a small crack beginning! It is not a paint scratch, is the actual metal door cracked open. I do have a 2-year warranty, but I a sure it doesn't cover this. Is there anything I can do? I haven't been able to get ahold of the dealer yet, to see if they will be able to help me out. I would think that Ford should have some type of structural warranty, I am certainly hoping so.

Anyones and Everyones advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

roob880@hotmail.com
  • Options
    timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    see the www.f150online.com web site article Not What It’s Cracked Up To Be..... for pertinent and helpful information.
  • Options
    lariat4x4lariat4x4 Member Posts: 22
    This is great information on the door crack issue with Ford trucks. I have heard about this issue but this picture and the posts with it are the first I have seen of them. Pretty minor problem that is much more pleasant to deal with than a driveline or engine problem. I have yet to hear a Ford in person that has the piston slap either. I am extremely happy with my truck.

Thanks for posting the information. Now I will know what to look for but I doubt I will need to.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I just wanted to make a comment nothing bad. I own a silverado just for the record.

This past weekend a super crew (4x4) came in to where i work (a lumber yard) and hauled 3 pallets (3 trips) of 325 bricks (7lbs each). Truck sagged alot but it held up very well. The truck was 3 months old. After each time he came back we measured the rear end height. It seemed that the last time he came in the rear end had dropped (truck unloaded) about an inch. What i am trying to say is this truck is capable of doing heavy (pallet sized) loads. Just wanted to give an actual realworld experience. Unlike gmsucks i am not biased. My truck is shake and ping free. 6500 mls and its great.

Ryan
  • Options
    No bias here either. I don't agree with gmsucks in his badgering. I do think that Ford trucks are the best for me at least for what is out there now. Always been the best workers with the fewest problems for me. Never owned any other make so dont know if I would like any others of em better. I say dont fix what aint broke and dont change what dont need changing.
  • Options
    My name is Greg Noller and I'm in the Wichita phone book.

I have a Slapper, certified by my selling dealer. Their fix is to replace the "long block" with a rebuilt one.

30,000 miles.

I have door cracks also.

Call me, and I can set you up to see and hear these two problems.

I still am happy with my truck, and the service I get from Lubbers in Cheney Kansas.

I just can't decide if I want them to rebuild my motor, or believe Ford when they say "it's not a reliability issue."

Greg
    '00 Lincoln LS8
    '99 F150 2X4 SC 5.4 "Slapper"
    '96 Triumph Thunderbird triple
    '92 Ford Tempo
  • Options
    If your build date is post Aug 99 (i think that is the date that they go by) then they are suppose to give you a brand new long block, not a rebuild. I would push for a new motor. If the build date on your truck is previous to that, I would still get the rebuild. I havn't heard any complaints from those that have had their engines replaced or rebuilt, but obviously a new one would be a better deal. Good thing is that they go through the whole motor when they rebuild it so you are basically getting a new motor.
  • Options
    Acording to the dealer, only 2000's and them only for another month, can get a complete motor off the line.

Last year's models get FQR's

I know what the F stands for.

Greg
  • Options
    michaelammichaelam Member Posts: 2
    Went to a dealer last week to inquire about ordering a SC with the Offroad package. I asked him how much above invoice minus holdback they would sell an ordered vehicle for? His response was $500 over invoice, "but we won't lose a deal over $500." My response was, "So you'll sell it for invoice?" He agreed.

Later the dealer asked if I qualified for the A or X plan. Yes for X. He proceeded to tell me that I could order the vehicle at "$300 - $500" below invoice. Two days ago the dealer called to tell me the Offroad package could now be had on the SC. I went in to draw up the order and took it home to look over before ordering. To my surprise, the price was actually about $200 OVER invoice - NOT the $300 - $500 below as he'd previously told me. When I called to question him, he claimed that the price is below invoice, but includes the Ford Dealer Advertising Fee, AND THAT MY EDMUNDS NUMBERS MUST BE WRONG!

I know the #s aren't wrong - I bought a 99 Dodge Ram Quad Cab over the 'net two years ago using their data. Is this guy attempting to take me for a ride? Seems to me the X plan is no better than just walking in off the street armed with the knowledge of what the vehicle should cost.

Comments appreciated.
  • Options
    Id take the $200 over. Come on thats a steal for such a popular new vehicle. I got my 2000 silverado for $500 under invoice only because i had the gm supplier deal.

Ryan
  • Options
    boatman5boatman5 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, we plan to buy a boat soon and need a truck to tow it. I am told the boat and trailer may come to around 2700 lbs or more. When looking for a pickup (like the v6 GMC Sierra) or sport ute. (? the new Ford escape) what do you consider. To my surprise, a smaller pickup can tow much more thana sport ute. For instance the pickup states it can tow 6or7thousand lbs or something. where as the same power for the sport ute is only good for up to 3500lbs. what's up with that? Does a V6 200 hp and about 220 torque have enough to pull a boat and trailer? I sure see a lot of smaller pickups doing it, i just dont get it. Thanks
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    trucks. For a multitude of different tasks, consider a full size, V8 pickup. Couldn't tell you how long a compact truck with V6 would last towing any kind of load except maybe a 500# trailer. I'm sure a lot of mini truck drivers could tell stories of how they pulled 5000# and their truck lasted 300,000 miles with no major repairs....I'd take that with a grain of salt. Your decision as is your money. I'd bet with a full size ford or chevy.
  • Options
    kirbytkirbyt Member Posts: 39
    If you really are towing a rig like that go with a full sized truck. I have towed a 18' Ranger with a 4-Runner and finally switched to a Suburban. Far more stable and safer pulling with the longer and wider stance trucks. Think of how much weight is in the boat/trailer combination. With some of these SUV's that's half of your rig or more. If so, then think how difficult it's going to be to stop or handle a live load at the end of your vehicle. My '94 Explorer did a nice job of pulling the U-Haul trailer of furniture but still lacks size and heft to safe tow anything larger. Most SUV's will be rated for less since brakes are smaller, increased passengers and gear inside unit, narrow wheel base both in width and length, and the rating of the springs. Priority one with most SUV's today is toward comfortable ride which is opposite of dropping 100+ pounds of dead weight of the rig.

So hope this helps.
  • Options
    harleydudeharleydude Member Posts: 5
    I was looking at a new 2000 model Harley Davidson F 150 pick-up today, dealer gave me a price of $ 31,000 thats $ 2000 off sticker, anyone heard of any better deals, loved the truck.
  • Options
    Be prepared for door cracks and engine knock.....may even have problems with the headlight switch and front break rotors.

I'm really considering if my 99 F150 5.4 SC is my last Ford.

Buying vehicles these days is like voting for the next president. Choices are bad and worse.

Greg
    Wichita
  • Options
    truckdudetruckdude Member Posts: 55
    I too have 99 5.4 slapper and leaker, and am getting an FQR engine installed. I think this is the first and last Ford I will own. Problem is, when I start looking for a new truck, it seems like all of them have some sort of major problems they are going through. I thought cars and trucks were supposed to get better over time, but I guess we just keep paying more for less...
  • Options
    My '92 Tempo is still running strong, my '94 Crown Vic was flawless, as was my '94 Ranger.

My '94 Lincoln Mk 8 fried the trannie at 60K miles, but all else was fine.

My '00 Lincoln LS has lots of fit and finish problems, but runs and handles great.

My '99 F150 5.4 SC is a slapper, and has door cracks and rear leaf springs out of whack. So far, dealer agrees and will fix, except door cracks have no fix right now.

Not sure what they will do after 36K miles.

Ford or Chevy or Dodge is like Bush or Gore or Nader - all have their up- and down-side.

Greg
  • Options
    wisbeckwisbeck Member Posts: 10
    I am currently looking at F-150 and F-250 Pickups with cc, 4x4, big v8. We plan to buy a 24 to 28' camper trailer next year. My question is should I buy the F-250 or is the F-150 good enough to pull a large trailer up mountains? What kind of MPG can I expect when not towing?
  • Options
    revkeysrevkeys Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 F-150 Supercab with 5.4L V8 Auto. Ever since the day it was new it makes a noise for a few minutes after I start it. Sounds like it's in the serpentine belt system somewhere, but I can't pinpoint it. It is loudest when idling in gear with foot on the brake. Initially it only lasted a minute or so but now (1500 miles) is more metallic sounding and lasts quite a bit longer, but of course, not long enough for the service manager to hear it. Any ideas out there?
  • Options
    I use my F150 SC 4x4 5.4 3.73 to tow 5000# trailer in Colorado. It does just fine, but mileage drops to 10-12 from 14-16 empty. Remember the 250 CC weighs about 1000# more, so 5.4 is not as effective as it is in the F150, and mileage will also be less (probably 12-14 empty).
  • Options
    I have piston slap, and what you are describing sounds totally different. I have heard it could be the belt and/or oil filter. Your best bet is to check out www.f150online.com, there were many previous discussions concerning this.
  • Options
    You might also want to check ot www.f150.com for answers.

If your primarily goint to pull a trailer, you might want the F250. The F150 with the trailer tow package and 5.4 motor will probably fit your needs if you will ocasionally pull a 24'.

I drive an empty F150 5.4 SC mostly in town, and I get about 15MPG on average. Have seen as high as 18 at 65MPH for a whole tank on the hiway (with a tailwind), and as low as 13.7 for a busy weekend of running all over town doing chores and errands.

The big motor really has spunk, with a 3:73 Limited Slip, gets out of it's own way pretty quick.

On the noise, I had to leave my truck at the dealer overnight so they could start it cold to hear my piston slap. Check www.f150.com for similar complaints....might be a bottem-end bearing problem.

Piston slap is usually most noticeable on cool (less than 65 degrees) mornings, during warm up, at 1200-1500 rpm. Usually goes away when you put it in gear, but some folks report it sounds like a deseal truck as they drive away in the morning.

Ford is replacing engines (new motor in some cases, remanufactured long block in some like mine) on trucks because customers don't like the noise. Ford says it will not affect performance or life of the truck. Yea. Right.

Greg
    Wichita
    '99 F150 5.4 Slapper, door cracks, springs out of whack.
  • Options
    I screwed up the link to the big Ford 150 web site.

www.f150online.com, but you knew that!

Greg
  • Options
    kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    I have a 1999 F-150 4X4 with 5.4 (off-road package) with an engine build date of May 15, 1999. The truck was probably built about then too - I took delivery the first week of June, 1999. Was careful about that engine build date based on reading about changes that happened with this engine around 4/99 to resolve "piston slap". When was your truck(s) built? Also, it seems to be very important on this very close-tolerance engine to use the right kind of oil and filter. Have you used 5/30 and a Motorcraft or equivalent oil filter? Seems like there may be a lot of used trucks out there that might not have had proper service. My truck has been flawless, except for noisy brakes that I suspect will be a continuing problem - the dealer agrees. It has about 20,000 miles on it. Frankly, it has a been a very good machine so far and I am not easy to please and the truck gets good all-purpose usage.
  • Options
    poohbear4poohbear4 Member Posts: 1
    I bought one of the 2001 supercrews. Had it about 6 days (500 miles) No problems. An 18 yr. old kid playing around, braodsided me drivers door, doing well over the 45mph speed limit. Hit me so hard that it rolled my truck over 2 times. The truck was a total loss. Me and my daughter came out with just minor cuts. and me a ruptured disc. both air bags diployed and the inside compartment held up very well. Never felt the air bags hit. seats and seat backs stayed to gether. seatbelts held up well. Wish I could post so pics. of vehicle here. I have a small Mazda pu. and am quite certain me nor my daughter would be here now. To also give you an idea of the force of this collision. I was not moveing when he hit me. He was driving and older model f150 and hit so hard that it rolled twice from the force of the impact. I liked every thing about this truck and would def. rec. to those who are safty con. Yes I have ordered a new one should be in in a few weeks. Pooh Bear
  • Options
    So finish the story. What became of that 18 year old nimrod. I mean doing over 45 mph is unusual as most drivers would be attempting to stop prior to impact. Yours was almost like a crash test. Did he even have insurance?
  • Options
    that sucks at least you didnt get hurt to bad. Your very lucky.

Ryan
  • Options
    I'm happy you didn't get hurt.

Greg
    Wichita
  • Options
    Sometimes I think about the new SUV's and other vehicles that might get a little better gas mileage than my 1999 F-150 5.4 with 4X4 off-road. Every time, I come back around to this last issue and I guess it is very important to me - safety. I feel very safe in my truck, thumbs up for surviving and ordering another full-size safe truck.
  • Options
    luvboxrsluvboxrs Member Posts: 47
    Action seems a little slow on this board...everyone must hang out on f150online.com I guess.

We've had our 01 F150 XLT supercab 4X4 5.4 for about 2 weeks. We looked at used ones and thought maybe we'd buy one a year or 2 old. Most had the door crack. Quite a few of the trucks had the 4.6. My husband was adament about the 5.4. The recommendation by Wards Automotive was enough for him.

I very much hope we don't experience any problems. I'm not sure which other truck we would have purchased if not the F150. We owned a Dodge....not buying another! which eliminated the Ram. My dad owns the Silverado and he's had zero problems with 3 trucks in 9 years (drives them 60-70k in 3 years then gets a new one). We just didn't like how the Chevy handled. I drove it for 4 weeks once and couldn't get used to the handling. That leaves the Toyota Tundra which I'm sure will be bullet proof, but doesn't give us a powerful enough engine or quite enough room. You also have to pay quite a premium for that truck.

All in all, we're very happy with the F150...of course we'll see how I feel after many more miles!
  • Options
    I think it will work out well for you. I understand the 60 or 70,000 mile thing for the Chevy's. Unfortunately for us, that is about as long as the engines last - still wonder in real interest why people think the current edition of the Chevy small-block V-8 is such a great engine, just has not been our experience. I guess it is easier to rebuild, but how many of us really rebuild our own engines anyway?

Again, you made a good choice. I have a 1999 5.4 Triton V-8 and really love this engine. It has been properly maintained, at the dealer, and so far - the engine just gets better all the time. I think it took 20,000 miles to really break it in properly. I suspect this engine is good for 200,000 miles plus based on the driving experience/feel and mileage I have gotten from preivous Ford powerplants. Plus, this 5.4 gets what I consider very good gas mileage for its horses/torque ratings plus it is a 4X4.

Like I said - good luck and enjoy. By the way, if you want an active site - start reading about all the buy-backs from GM on their trucks!
  • Options
    KIT

People who are going the buyback route on the silverados are mainly for 1 reason. Vibrations. This is normally on happening on the 2wd trucks.

I have a 4x4 silverado ext cab 7600 mls and its great. Please dont get the idea that "all" silverado owners are unhappy. Trust me ford has its problems too

Ryan
  • Options
    Why has GM decided to reinforce the weak frames on those early trucks this year (2002) - without much fanfare, but it is happening. Seems to me that the Corvette design of frames is just not working well on trucks - I would guess that there are a lot of folks out there like me that still use trucks hard. "Flex frames" has become something you could probably research on your browser. Face it, they should have tested the new (hydro-formed) design more throughly - typical GM, let the customer do the tough and expensive product-testing. All new trucks (Toyota and Ford) have had their share of problems - I understand that argument, but please, frames that won't even hold the steering and tires in place? Plus all those early engine failures? Have a hard time with a new GM design.
  • Options
    there are lots of people having no problems. My frame is good. Ive hauled shingles, drywall, lumber in my half ton silverado. I dont want to start a war just want people to realize the bad ones are a minority and there are many more good one which outnumber the bad ones

Ryan
  • Options
    chrisb10chrisb10 Member Posts: 1
    No time to sort through all the F150 chat, so can anyone suggest best place to look for comments on the following used F150: Lariat Supercab, 4 x4, F150, buckets, tow package, 33k miles? I want to know what items may have caused problems, what else to look out for. This one is in great condition, though I hear a noise similar to lifter chatter, but that seems to be more noticeable during a slow speed turn, so maybe something in the front end drive? Any pointers would be appreciated, since the dealer gave me the weekend to evaluate this beauty.
  • Options
    forum section of f150online.com?
  • Options
    You didn't say what year or engine.

Better check the doors for cracks....look at the door frame above the handle near the bottom right of the drivers windos, or bottom left of the pass window. Looking for a 1/8 to 1/4 inch crack from window out.

If 5.4 motor, or Romeo MI built 4.6, have motor checkled for improper pistons, called variously piston slap or ps, sounds like a rattle when cold, mistaken for knock(ping). Fix is to replace motor if still under warranty.

Some 5.4's having many oil leaks, and head gasket concerns. Look for seeps/weeps along front of motor.

Some 97-00 F150's rear leaf springs are not banded so they can shift, or come apart. Look bad, but many not affect performance/safety.

Rough idle: certain 5.4's exibit a rough idle that cannot be fixed. Others have a bad "lifter" that causes a rough idle and is repairable with a replacement.

Better sleep with that truck for a few days and really check it out good.

Greg
    Wichita
  • Options
    azautoazauto Member Posts: 6
    I am going to order a F-150 SuperCab. Anyone have any knocks against the 4.2L V-6, other than having less power than the V-8?
  • Options
    Way under powered for as big a truck as the F150.

IMHO, I'd say the 4.6 v-8 is the minimum in this truck. It has a good track record, many millions of Crown Vic's. I had one in my 94 Crown, and a DOHC version in my '94 Mk8.

I test drove a v-6, and really felt that it did not have enough ooomph when needed for pulling into speed limit 45-50 wide streets where you need to "make way" or you'll be sitting there all day.

Can't imageine filling up the bed and going somewhere. Just not enough HP down in the normal RPM range.

Greg
    '99 F150 SC 5.4 slapper with door cracks
    Wichita
  • Options
    timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    I got the 4.6L V8 and now wish that I'd gone all the way to the 5.4L. (And it isn't just because my name is Tim A! Unh unh unh! ;-)) I won't load it down often, but the difference in gas mileage -- especially considering that the bigger engine requires less "tromping on it" to get up to Texas highway speeds (i.e. 10 miles over the speed limit) -- simply is not that great. If the real difference is about 1 mpg then that would amount to less than 70 gallons per year of 15,000 miles driven (or under $150 per year even at $2.00 per gallon). YMMV
  • Options
    azautoazauto Member Posts: 6
    Anyone have any opinion on adding the SuperChip? This would add 25HP to any of the 3 F-150 engines.
This discussion has been closed.