Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

my 95 gmc 4.3 v6 cranks but wont run new complete distributor including cap rotor relay has spark an

Jhrec1Jhrec1 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2020 in GMC
Cranks has spark new distributor, cap, rotor, battery haven't checked fuel filter pulled num 1 3 5 plugs looked good gapped and replaced. Could it be out of time need help its my work truck any advice qould help

Answers

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    To check the timing, you'd need a timing light on #1 plug wire. But then the distributor could be 180 deg out of time and would show the firing occurring on the balancer mark for TDC but actually be at the next rotation from the top dead center of the piston and valves closed for compression of the fuel mixture.

At this point, you might take off the valve cover for #1 and visually check that the valves are both closed. You can remove the spark plug and use a feeler to check that the piston is coming up on TDC.

You could use ether to see if you're not getting gasoline squirted through the injectors.

But because the distributor has been changed, it would be the first thing I'd check.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,