Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is car with 200k miles, but with a 2k miles rebuilt motor worth it?

MidlogMidlog Member Posts: 2
edited March 2020 in Subaru
I'm looking for a car because my old car is really showing its age and I saw this 2008 Subaru impreza. The interior and exterior looks great from the pictures, but what really off puts me is that it has 200K miles and a rebuilt motor with 2K and is asking for $5000. Is it worth it? I don't know a whole lot about cars so there are things that I am really ignorant about, that's why I'm asking here. Is it possible to link cars in these forums by the way?

Answers

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,321
    $5000 feels like a lot, even with a new engine. At this age and mileage, it is all going to be in the condition - where are you located? If somewhere with snow, a car with 200k probably is rusted out underneath from all the salt exposure. What kind of work have they done on things like the transmission, suspension, tires, etc?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    Midlog said:

I'm looking for a car because my old car is really showing its age and I saw this 2008 Subaru impreza. The interior and exterior looks great from the pictures, but what really off puts me is that it has 200K miles and a rebuilt motor with 2K and is asking for $5000. Is it worth it? I don't know a whole lot about cars so there are things that I am really ignorant about, that's why I'm asking here. Is it possible to link cars in these forums by the way?

Don't get hung up with just the price. While the engine is barely broken in, the rest of the car has been around the block more than a few times. It's a must that you take it to a trusted mechanic and have him check it out. If there isn't too much wrong with it ask the mechanic what he'd pay for it. Nobody should agree to the initial asking price.

Good luck,

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,532
    A car like that will only be as good as its oldest part. Even if the engine is new you could face high repaie bills if the suspension needs refreshed or the body is rotting. I would want a complete understanding on what else besides the motor has been refreshed. Even still that feels like a lot to ask for a mass produced car that arguably isn't in high demand, revered by enthusiasts, etc.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    pensfan nailed it.
    I'll add that a "rebuilt engine" is vague at best. I'd want to see a detailed receipt. Who did it and how much they actually replaced with new components can vary by several thousand dollars.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• MidlogMidlog Member Posts: 2
    Thank you everyone for posting their advice, I'm really learning a lot. If there's more advice please feel free to leave more.