Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Toyota Camry brakes

josh_BABWjosh_BABW Member Posts: 1
edited March 2020 in Toyota
Camry has just under 120k miles, and still on factory brakes. My mechanic doesn't try to make you do the work he feels he doesn't need so he's honest and doesn't try to win your business. He says my front pads are at 8/32, and rear shoes at 4/32, and since I don't put on that many miles, and I had very little wear since about 1 year and 2 months ago, I should be able to put on another 15k miles before I should get the brakes replaced so he just did brake cleaning and adjustment. Car is still in his shop for the weekend. Giving it more thought, 4/32 means rear shoes has about 12.5 percent left. Google says to replace or get it inspected at about 25 percent. If I tell the mechanic to replace the brakes on Monday, he'll now have to charge for both cleaning/adjustment and replacing the brakes. Should I trust an honest mechanic who doesn't try to win your business, or trust Google? Your opinions or experiences? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    If you have rear drum brakes, "shoes" they likely only had 5/32" when brand new meaning you haven't worn them much at all and still have 80% left. You should trust what someone who is actually looking at your car more than anything else.