Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2003 Ford Ranger has... electrical problems(?)

WraithWraith Member Posts: 2
edited April 2020 in Ford
Hi everyone,

So, I bought this Ranger as a project. It's a 2003 Ranger XLT 4x4 with 5 sppeed trans and the 4.0l SOHC engine. I have replaced the clutch master ans slave cylinders and line, ball joints and coil as well as putting a new battery in it.

I leave work the other night and I am going down the road (holding speed) when the truck just died. I still had lights and radio and everything but motor just stopped running. I tried popping the clutch to restart but it would not. Once pulled off the road I tried restarting it using the key but got nothing. I could hear the solenoid clicking so I was getting voltage at least that far. I could also hear the fuel pump come on when the key was turned. After some time setting there playing with the key it did start turning over but it would not fire.

Having just bought the truck I was not entirely trusting of my fuel gauge and I knew I was probably low on gas, so I suspected I had ran out. I had some help pushing the truck up the road a short ways to the gas station where I jumped in and brought it to a stop at the pump. I put it in gear and was getting ready to get out and just out of curiosity turned the key. The truck turned over once and fired right up. I sat and idled for a few minutes until my son came with a trailer which we used to get it home. Once there, I went to pull it off the trailer and it done nothing once again. It now alternates between doing nothing (as if the problem is the starter, but it tests good) and turning over but not firing.

Could this be an issue with the GEM module? Could a faulty ground cause it? I am down to changing relays and then I am out of ideas on where to look.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    RicardowelchRicardowelch Member Posts: 15
    Wraith said:

Hi everyone,

So, I bought this Ranger as a project. It's a 2003 Ranger XLT 4x4 with 5 sppeed trans and the 4.0l SOHC engine. I have replaced the clutch master ans slave cylinders and line, ball joints and coil as well as putting a new battery in it.

I leave work the other night and I am going down the road (holding speed) when the truck just died. I still had lights and radio and everything but motor just stopped running. I tried popping the clutch to restart but it would not. Once pulled off the road I tried restarting it using the key but got nothing. I could hear the solenoid clicking so I was getting voltage at least that far. I could also hear the fuel pump come on when the key was turned. After some time setting there playing with the key it did start turning over but it would not fire.

Having just bought the truck I was not entirely trusting of my fuel gauge and I knew I was probably low on gas, so I suspected I had ran out. I had some help pushing the truck up the road a short ways to the gas station where I jumped in and brought it to a stop at the pump. I put it in gear and was getting ready to get out and just out of curiosity turned the key. The truck turned over once and fired right up. I sat and idled for a few minutes until my son came with a trailer which we used to get it home. Mike Cross of AutoGuysLand review what fuel pressure regulator symptoms are. If you concern, you can visit #AutoGuysLand site for more info. Once there, I went to pull it off the trailer and it done nothing once again. It now alternates between doing nothing (as if the problem is the starter, but it tests good) and turning over but not firing.

Could this be an issue with the GEM module? Could a faulty ground cause it? I am down to changing relays and then I am out of ideas on where to look.

Any advice would be appreciated.

It is possible a wiring issue or your ignition switch. Take a look at this first.
  • Options
    WraithWraith Member Posts: 2
    Actually, I thought this same thing and replaced my ignition switch shortly after making this post. However, the problem still presists. I have since had it scanned and gotten the list of codes it threw. It seems my TCU (ECU) is going bad. I still have been unable to find the root cause of it. I am also getting "severe" codes (p2195 and p2197) while the engine is running. I haven't looked in to those too much yet as I am still in the process of tracing wires and looking for shorts. Kinda starting to think it would be easier to replace the harness.

I am pretty sure the previous owner was having the same problem though as there was a bunch of parts in the bed when I bought the truck. In digging for possible causes/ solutions to the issue I have found those same parts found in the bed as being possible causes. They had opened up the lower dash panel but stopped short of replacing the ignition switch. I want to change the ECU but unless I ca find the cause of it going bad I am afraid it would end up being a waste of money. At my wits end with it. Money is tight right now so taking it to the mechanic is out of the question...