Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

White smoke when pushing gas, pulled over and turned off car and it stopped

CeeJay74CeeJay74 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2020 in Chevrolet
My 04 trailblazer was riding and driving fine then i noticed white smoke coming from the back so i pulled over turned it off and lifted the hood a little smoke came out i waited like 5 mins and then stated it back up and no smoke.. I drove about 14 mins home.. I did look in the truck and the carpet looks burnt.. What is going on? Somebody plz help me!..

Answers

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    White smoke out the exhaust, or just coming from the vehicle in general? What carpet are you talking about? Inside the cab?

If it was coming out the exhaust, and you didn't hear any horrendous noises coming from the engine at the same time, then it is likely a head gasket failure allowing coolant into the cylinder head. Why it would go away, I am not sure. If it was smoke from outside the exhaust, something actually burning on the car, then maybe an overheating catalytic converter or a failed heat shield that protects the car from the heat of the exhaust system.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250