Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius Tire/Wheel Questions

124»

Comments

• capepriuscapeprius Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2011 Prius with 195/65/15 on factory rims.  The tires are bald and I can swap with a 2010 Matrix with 205/55/16 on steel wheels and new tires
    - I will be losing my factory Prius rims so I want to make sure this will work?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 906
    IF you mean "fit", then yes, they'll fit.

If you mean "get better wear", then you haven't told us enough information.

Tire wear is very highly dependent on the tire - and there is a rating on the sidewall that gives you an idea of how well a tire wears. It's called the UTQG rating. Google it and you find out what it means and where to look for it.

So if you only want to get better tires, changing tire size isn't he way to go. Select tires with a higher UTQG rating - and you can get them in your current size. Just be aware that you will be sacrificing fuel economy to get that better wear.
  • biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    To follow up on what capeprius mentioned, you must also consider whether the tires you'll be replacing the OEM's with are LRR tires. I am positive that the original tires on your Prius were Low Roll Resistance tires. Switching to anything else will seriously cut in to your MPG. My advice, check out Michelin Energy Savers A/S. Purchased them at Costco and they actually INCREASED my average MPG. Another thing to consider, in this case, is switching from 16" to 15" tires and the effects this will have on your odometer and speedometer.
  • jskiffjskiff Member Posts: 1
    Are the Michelin Energy Saver tires good on ice and snow. I just purchased a 2012 Prius and I haven't driven during the winter months yet. People have warned me about poor traction. I bought the car used with Bridgestone tires. Would the Michelin Energy Savers be good for traction?
    According to Tire Rack, an Energy Saver is a summer tire - so by definition it would NOT have good snow or ice traction. They don't even bother trying to rate those properties.

If you want a more complete picture, look at the surveys on Tire Rack's website
  • snowboarder4snowboarder4 Member Posts: 42
    According to the recommendations of my friends in the mountains, you should be buying Michelin X-Ice Winter Tires.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/winter/x-ice/tire-details
  • biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    I can't understand the Tire Rack recommendation because my Energy Savers say M + S on the side walls. M + S ratings mean Mud-Snow or All Weather.

Bioman
    That's because you have the "Energy Saver A/S" - which is a different tire.

Now that you have the proper name, go look at the ratings.