Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ac compressor or condenser bad, do I need both replaced?

troymccluretroymcclure Posts: 2
edited August 4 in Nissan
Hi there,

I just had my 2016 Nissan Altima's A/C system flushed and recharged, hoping this would make it blow cold again. Unfortunately it had no impact on it. It still blows cold when it's only 80-90 degrees but in the Phoenix sun at 115 degrees it can't keep up anymore.

I got a quote for a new compressor kit, condenser and labor for $1,200 which seems pretty high. A couple years ago my wife's 2011 Elantra had the same problem and i just bought a compressor on ebay for $130 and had a garage nearby install it for $250. The AC blew ice cold for the rest of our ownership.
The shop (Big O Tires) that quoted me $1,200 said everything had to be replaced because otherwise the compressor might not even last a day or two.

What do you guys think? Is it safe to just replace the compressor that I could get at Auto zone for $150 or am I likely to destroy the entire system like the guy at Big O Tires said?