Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ac compressor or condenser bad, do I need both replaced?

troymccluretroymcclure Member Posts: 2
edited August 2020 in Nissan
Hi there,

I just had my 2016 Nissan Altima's A/C system flushed and recharged, hoping this would make it blow cold again. Unfortunately it had no impact on it. It still blows cold when it's only 80-90 degrees but in the Phoenix sun at 115 degrees it can't keep up anymore.

I got a quote for a new compressor kit, condenser and labor for $1,200 which seems pretty high. A couple years ago my wife's 2011 Elantra had the same problem and i just bought a compressor on ebay for $130 and had a garage nearby install it for $250. The AC blew ice cold for the rest of our ownership.
The shop (Big O Tires) that quoted me $1,200 said everything had to be replaced because otherwise the compressor might not even last a day or two.

What do you guys think? Is it safe to just replace the compressor that I could get at Auto zone for $150 or am I likely to destroy the entire system like the guy at Big O Tires said?