Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weighing my Options for Upgrading to a Vehicle with Towing Capacity

amacalleamacalle Posts: 1
edited October 2020 in General
Hello Everyone!
I would really love some advice and guidance. I have been casually looking into buying a truck as a second vehicle to tow a horse trailer so I could take my horse out on some adventures. I then had the idea of selling my 2017 VW Golf Sportwagen, which I have owned for 2 and a half years, and instead purchasing an SUV with at least 5,000 lbs towing capacity that still had decent gas mileage to use as both my daily driver and for towing a lightweight horse trailer. This would avoid having me pay for insurance both cars. I want something under $15k so I could pay cash. Some options I looked at are VW Toureg (2010-2014), Chevy Traverse, V6 Hyundai Santa Fe, and even 2009 Saturn Outlook. Any other ideas for cars to look at would be appreciated!

I won't be doing a lot of towing over the winter , but I got a good offer on my car from Carvana and I am worried that if I don't sell now my car will rapidly depreciate. It is 3years old, 73k miles and has a manual transmission, and a station wagon so it is not the most sought after. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? I am not picky on any features for the new car, I am just looking for the most economical way to tow a trailer and drive about 350 miles a week.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 40,863
    What weight do you actually expect to tow? Especially on a boxy trailer like a horse one, I would be wary of towing that much With those unibody smaller ones. Something heavier duty, or a PU, would probably hold up better.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

• texasestexases Posts: 9,440
    Agree with @stickguy - I also wouldn't worry about sudden depreciation on your VW, it's already depreciating.