Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Elantra vs VW Rabbit

13»

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Actually, I've seen multiple reviews note the "thrashiness" of the Rabbit's engine, e.g. MT's COTY review.

I would never claim the new Elantra sedan is "sportier" than the Rabbit. The Elantra is obviously aimed at more of an econo-luxo market, as evidenced by its interior styling and smooth, quiet ride. But in handling it is no slouch, just not as crisp as the best handlers in the class. One thing to keep in mind is that we have yet to see a sport-tuned variant of the Elantra, ala Elantra GT. That could come with the new hatch, which is expected to be unveiled at the New York Auto Show next month.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    Actually, I've seen multiple reviews note the "thrashiness" of the Rabbit's engine, e.g. MT's COTY review

i still disagree with this notion, its not thrashiness, its how a five cylinder sounds, very similar to the s40's acutally and some people like it or hate it.

I may not work for mt, but i do own the car, and spend a lot of time in it on a day to day basis, unlike them.

I cant wait for the elantra hatch!
    And unlike professional automotive reviewers like those at MT, you don't test cars for a living, drive many different cars back-to-back under the same conditions, and don't have a personal stake in the review, i.e. they typically don't own the car they are reviewing so they don't mind pointing out things that are less than perfect when they see/hear them. ;)

The bottom line is that the Rabbit and Elantra are small cars with small engines, and I don't expect either of them to be V8-esque quiet, especially under hard acceleration. I like a car to be quiet when cruising, and I don't have a problem with either car on that score, at legal speeds or even a little more.
    neither do i. Ive never refrained from pointing out what is wrong, or what i wish could be different in my rabbit.

I don't have a problem with the new elantra's engine either.

But no one has ever called the 2.5 in the rabbit 'downright annoying'. :P
    Except maybe when they pull up to the gas pump? :)
    in that case they need to think about all the other cars that could possibly be 'annoying' in that sense.

Me? My bunny hops along and isn't too thirsty at all. :)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Or when they pull up to their mechanics garage.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

don't think i'll have that problem. :blush:
    Oh, I thought you had a VW.

I do. My only gripe is the less than affordable service german engineering comes hand in hand with! ;)
    You do???? Why everyone I have talked to has nothing good to say about them. Just finished the taxes of someone who dumped their old VW saying never again.

• nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    "4DR Rabbit:
    Heated seats
    Traction control
    Stability control
    ABS
    Alloys
    $18,470 SHIPPED ($18,020 WITHOUT ESP)

Elantra SE w/ Heated seats package
    NO traction Control
    NO stability control
    ABS
    Alloys
    Sunroof (blah for heavy snow weight)
    $17,530 "

but, if you make the equipment the sme between the two vehicles

Rabbit:
    4 Dr Base model (manual)
    sunroof option
    16" alloys option
    Satellite radio option
    edmunds price: 19,299

Elantra:
    SE w/ XM (manual)
    premium pkg (sunroof and heated seats)
    floor mats
    edmunds price: 16,149 (w/ 1000 rebate).

looks like the comperable rabbit is 3K more expensive, and for what?

so what is hyundai is "too cheap" to include floor mats, the car is $3k less.
    older models do have their share of problems, but i have not had any with mine. 600kgolfgt has had some pretty awesome experiences with vee dubs too.
    Rabbit:
    4 Dr Base model (manual)
    sunroof option
    16" alloys option
    Satellite radio option
    edmunds price: 19,299

the 'base' 4 door still includes a type of traction control, just to clarify. you can't just 'make it the same' for the sake of the comparison. therefore, edmunds CANT have a price for it if it does not exist. I got my bunny for 17k so i'm not complaining.

looks like the comperable rabbit is 3K more expensive, and for what?

so what is hyundai is "too cheap" to include floor mats, the car is $3k less.

these statements are weird...the first one insinuates that you think the rabbit is over priced, but the second has you calling hyundai 'cheap'. What gives?

The rabbit is a different driving experience than the new elantra. The interior materials simply cannot be matched by the elantra, thats just how it is. I didn't build the cars, but vw did a better job of making the inside luxurious.

Most german cars are more expensive than japanese or korean ones, to answer your question of why the rabbit is more expensive. Plus you get a six speed manumatic transmission, hyundai still equips the elantra with a 4 speed.

Maybe they have to hold out on the floor mats to make up for the low cost of the elantra? :blush:
  • ktpklossktpkloss Member Posts: 28
    2 Dr Rabbit with 6-speed auto is only $16.4k or so, still loaded with all the safety options (no ESP tho)

cheapest Elantra is $15.5k (4 speed auto +AC)

for that extra 1k you're getting much more responsive/fun engine, great tiptronic transmission, excellent quality basic 8 speaker radio (mp3 + aux), traction control, climatic AC (semi-climate control), external temp display, cruise control, tilt AND telescopic steering wheel, dual vanity mirrors, turn signal mirrors... and of course, beautifull interionr materials, fit and finish

wow.... really... let me think...which one is a better car.

OTOH... new european Kia cee'd...that's something else...i wish we get it here in US, that would stir some healthy competition..
    You forgot one big thing the Elantra has that the 2-door Rabbit does not: 2 more doors! That is a big factor for many people. Which is why it is more apples-to-apples to compare pricing for the 4-door Rabbit to the Elantra.

The price difference between the Rabbit 2-door automatic and Elantra GLS automatic with Preferred Package (power package, stereo, air, cruise, fog lamps etc.) is about $1200 according to Edmund's TMV, including all rebates that are available to all buyers. For that, you do get 2 more cogs on the transmission, two more speakers on the stereo, traction control, extermal temp display, telescopic steering wheel, and turn signals on the mirrors with the Rabbit. Personally, I prefer the interior of the Elantra--the base Rabbit's is too boring to me with its swaths of black plastic (but some people like dark interiors). The Rabbit has more power (also more weight to lug around), but the Elantra gets about 20% better fuel economy. The Elantra has more interior room (and those two extra doors for ease of entry/exit), XM radio, fog lamps, and a 10-year warranty. For a few hundred bucks more (still hundreds less than the base Rabbit 2-door), you can upgrade to the Elantra SE with 16" alloys, trip computer, and leather telescopic wheel with audio controls. And still two more doors.

Better car? Depends what you are looking for. If you're looking for a 2-door hatchback, the Rabbit is the obvious choice over the Elantra. If you are looking for a 4-door, the Elantra packs a lot of value compared to the Rabbit.
    agreed with everything said here.
    You forgot one big thing the Elantra has that the 2-door Rabbit does not: 2 more doors! That is a big factor for many people.

true, but there is a group of people who value a hatch over this. Yes its a much smaller group, but they do exist. (hi i'm eldaino.)

At anyrate, if we are talking about feature content, the base rabbit (which is a 2 door) and the base elantra, the rabbit simply owns it.

as far as the interiors go, although the rabbits is not as busy and more simple than the elantras it still oozes more quality and has many more soft touch surfaces. (there is little difference betweent the appearence of the 2 and four door rabbits interiors.)

For a few hundred bucks more (still hundreds less than the base Rabbit 2-door), you can upgrade to the Elantra SE with 16" alloys, trip computer, and leather telescopic wheel with audio controls. And still two more doors.

true, but your still stuck with an interior that is less classy than a rabbits. The only real advantage here if you could care less about the doors is the leather wrapped wheel, trip computer(another matter of opinion) and standard alloys. (they are an option on the bunny.) Its wheel telescopes no matter what trim level it is though.

Where did you get that it was 'hundreds' less though?
    If you need a hatch, you shouldn't be looking at an Elantra--until the hatch becomes available.

Where did you get that it was 'hundreds' less though?

Edmunds TMV pricing, and applying the $1000 rebate on the Elantra.

You think the interior of the base Rabbit is classier than that of the Elantra; I think the opposite. Intelligent people can disagree on matters of personal taste. :)
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    you have to look at what the cars are selling for, not what they sticker for.
    try and rabbits are seling very well and fairly cheap, without incentives, no one needs convincing to buy one. ;)
    You think the interior of the base Rabbit is classier than that of the Elantra; I think the opposite. Intelligent people can disagree on matters of personal taste.

agreed backster. ;)
  • 2rotor2rotor Member Posts: 3
    Shouldn't this really be a comparison to the JETTA? Apples to Apples, ya know...

I'm making this comparison right now, as a matter of fact, having driven a Jetta Value Edition and a well-equipped Elantra GLS today. The Jetta is clearly a superior vehicle in the driving experience and the quality of the interior, but is it well over a thousand dollars better?

Perhaps. Both vehicles have their strong points and their not-so-strong points, some of which I list below:

Elantra: Wins on price, wins on exterior styling (subjective, I know, but I hate the Jetta's styling), wins (by a lot) on combined interior & trunk space, wins on some equipment choices at this price point (hooray for fog lights, for instance), wins (by a lot) on mileage, wins on warranty coverage (and all joking aside, which brand is perenially at the bottom of the class with JD Power surveys?), wins on standard XM radio, wins with an aux-in jack for the stereo that isn't hiding in the glovebox, wins on more cubby space in the interior. Loses on the "feel" of the driveline (even though both cars are roughly equal in objective numbers), loses on interior styling (also subjective), loses on suspension feel, loses on resale value (but not by as much as I initially thought, the difference is very small), loses on cool exhaust note, loses on snob value (which I don't discount, btw). Oh, and loses on the availability of a stability control system.

Now, factor in ANOTHER thousand dollars in the form of a rebate.

Is the entry-level Jetta worth well over over TWO thousand dollars more than a well-equipped GLS?

Again, perhaps. If you have the money, that Jetta is a nice piece. But, and this is a BIG but, nearly $2500 is a HUUUUGE difference at this price level. The Elantra is a very nice car for the pittance that they are selling it for. It's even a very nice car for MORE than they are selling it for. I'm impressed by what Hyundai has become, considering the joke they were in years past. The Sonata V6 that I rented the other day, with over 30k on the odo, was tight as a drum and drove really, really well... Thus the reason I even visited a Hyundai dealer. If not for that experience, I never would've even looked. People who discount Hyundais are doing themselves a great disservice.

-2Rotor
    If ESC is important to you, you might also check out the Sonata GLS (4-cylinder), which has a $2000 rebate on it so it really isn't much more than an Elantra. I've seen Sonatas advertised recently for under $14k.

Now that the new Elantra hatch/wagon has been unveiled, the comparison to the Rabbit is a little more direct. But I suppose if the likes of C/D can compare the Elantra sedan to the Rabbit, we can too. :)
    agreed. Its much easier to find similiarly priced/equipped rabbits and elantras than elantras and jettas. (the gli decked out can near 30k, most people wont even pay that for a sonata. But then again there is no need to.)

Once the sportwagen comes, it'll be interesting to see how the elantra hatch stacks up too. Backy when is it coming? is there a release date?
    There was a news report yesterday about early 2008 for the Elantra wagon.
    sweet thanks man.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    When I was at the dealer this morning the person who sold me my 07 Elantra SE told me that the 2009 Elantra is going to have an optional 50 state legal turbodiesel. So, in 2009 I can choose between an Elantra or Rabbit diesel. Sweet. :)
    nice. although i think i'd still take the rabbit, no one does diesels like vee dub.
This discussion has been closed.